"Three Billy Goats Gruff"

In this case, only two.  :-)

(See http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0122e.html for three rather dark versions of the folk tale.)

I had taken an early train to visit Robin for the day (check her blog for awesome close-ups, far better than any pics I took), and our first stop was at Reid's Dairy, where they have a little "sanctuary."

They have two resident goats, plus a miscellany of ducks, geese and turtles.
 
 
Robin noted that we actually spent 45 minutes there, snapping pics, but it seemed like only a few minutes to me. I'd love to have something like this, accessible, in our city, but I suppose if we did I'd constantly be there and would never get my errands done!

There was a fresh "crop" of ducklings, so adorable!
 
 
 
 
And plenty of geese, too. Actually, there seemed to be two flocks, one on each side of the little bridge, and when the one group got too close to the other, lots of hissing ensued.
 The second flock coming up to pick at the seed that had been put down for them.
There were about a dozen turtles too, on the far side of the pond. We moved around very quietly, but even so, only two (probably the oldest adults) stayed above the water and seemed unfazed about our presence. Several others did come back up after some time, but they seemed warier of the proximity of humans.
 
 
 
 
 
What fun! I really could have just hung out there all day.  :-)

Value Village was calling, however, so off we went. We ended up visiting three awesome thrift stores--I bought a few tops, but it was Robin who had fabulous luck with her great finds.

After lunch she took me to see their new house in a nearby community just west of their current location. Closing isn't until the third week of August, so of course we only drove by and paused to view it. It's a really nice neighbourhood, and they'll be able to keep an eye on the comings and goings of the mayor, who lives across the street from their new home. (Fabulous landscaping on his property, I will add.) I suggest they cosy up to him and his family; you never know when you might need some political clout.  :-D 

It really was a wonderful day for me, not a "small" pleasure at all but a very large one, and I thank Robin very much for all her chauffeur service and for entertaining me for the entire day. I hope to be able to do it again, perhaps after they've settled into their new home!

Peace.

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
What a great time I can see you and Robin really had Kim.
Cat Lover said…
Hi Kim, it was a fun day wasn't it? They are some rather dark folk tales! You are very welcome anytime you can make the trip. In Brighton they have some lovely parks and fabulous places to walk. Looking forward to sharing it with you!
Kea said…
I'll have to bring the decent point & shoot next time, no matter the size/weight! :-)
Kea said…
It was! It would be easier if I had a car and could drive myself, though! :-)
Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh...this is so awesome! I wish I had been there, too. Great pictures, Kim. Hugs.
what lovely photos and so happy you had a pawesome time!!
Annie Bear said…
What a neat place!! It sounds like such a lovely day! That is a blessing.
John Bellen said…
I hope there wasn't a troll under that bridge the first goat looks like he's on...

The turtles look like they are all lined up for roll-call.

What a nice visit it must have been. No wonder the time flew by.
What a fun day you had! Especially love the photos of the turtles.
SuziQCat said…
What a fun day! I love hanging out taking photos of wildlife...I like to plan trips to the zoo with other photo friends so I don't feel so bad just standing around snapping pics!
Kea said…
Thanks! Robin took awesome pics. Next time I need to take my best camera. :-)

Still fun, though!
Kea said…
Thanks, Caren. I'd like to hang out there today. Well, every day. Can't imagine how anyone could get bored watching all the critters. :-)
Kea said…
It definitely was a lovely day. I'm having a "full moon crazy" day so far, would much prefer to be hanging out there with the goats, geese, etc. LOL.
Kea said…
Some of the geese can be as nasty as trolls! :-D
Kea said…
Thanks, it was great. I love turtles, such amazing Beings, will outlive the human species I'm sure.
Kea said…
Great idea! You do need to go on your own or with others who take photos, who understand you'll stop and wait for the perfect shot (angle/light/etc.). Or as near to perfect as you can get. Non-photo people would get restless and impatient.
what an awesum day kim !!! I'll have to show this to my dad; he likes goats; and pot bellied pigs !! :) ♥♥♥
meowmeowmans said…
What a fun day! I can SO identify with your enjoying your time taking pictures of the goats, ducklings and geese. I could do that all day, too. :)

Sounds like you and Robin had a wonderful visit. Glad you enjoyed!