I *AM* an Ikea Goddess!
Seven hours, two yesterday for the base cabinet and five today for the doors and shelves and getting all the TV (etc.) equipment transferred over.
The problem was (a) the typical crappy Ikea instructions and (b) that I got hardware for the various combinations and permutations of the line (Besta), not just for the item I ordered. So there were two different kinds of legs, two different sets of hardware for the shelves, etc., and I had to try them all to see what I preferred and what worked best.
It's easier (and more interesting) for me to discuss abstract concepts like the nature of the universe and of what we call "god" than it is for me to put hinges and soft-closing door doodads together.
Folks, there's a reason that the instructions for the bench tell you (via the crappy drawings) to put your devices on the shelves before you put the back and the top of the unit on. I found that out the hard way and had to take both off. Then I had to fudge things. The pic above is the beginning process, not quite the end result.
BTW, it helps to download the PDFs from the Ikea web site and enlarge them to 600%. Just saying.
Anyway, it's done, the little tree is moved to the other corner now, and all is cleaned up. The new bench is regular table height, so seems quite tall to me. The pic I have on the wall above it will either have to move up or move altogether. I'll figure that out some other time. Everything is in Christmas upheaval now and I'm not worrying about the finer details.
Now I'm waiting to order an Ikea desk/console, and that should be the final purchase for a long time to come. (Unless I find a new area rug for the living room and have the money saved to buy it.)
Okay, I need some Ibuprofen and a full-body massage.
Peace.
Comments
"It's easier...to discuss abstract concepts like the nature of the universe and of what we call "god" than it is for me to put hinges and soft-closing door doodads together."
You're not alone; it's why universities have doctorates of philosophy and not doctorates of practicality.
Hope you get your massage! Thanks too for the reminder that I need to relax and let go.
Ha! That's pretty much true, isn't it?
Can I hire your son for the next time?
The boys are looking fine.