Nicki's dental ordeal

(Apologies for the long post.)

Nicki went for a dental yesterday. Fun, fun, fun.

Enlarge to read the amount! :-O
It went okay, except he had part of his left pre-molar missing and "type 2 re-absorption" with the roots. Fortunately, type 2 re-absorption meant he didn't need the roots removed (one already was absorbed into the bone), just the remaining part of his tooth. He has a couple of stitches in the gum which will dissolve in about 10 days.

However, his blood work showed his ALT and Globulin levels up -- Nicki's ALT always has been high normal (liver), but the increase in Globulin levels was new. Could be infection, inflammation, cancer, liver disease, other. Anyway, I opted to have the vet do an ultrasound while Nicki was there, to check things out. It was pricey ($275 plus tax), but indicated that his organs appear normal. The vet said he could send the x-ray to a radiologi$t, but since nothing seemed amiss, I declined.

Nicki also had his anal glands done, so won't have to go back until early April now, thank goodness. I'll have his ALT and Globulin levels retested then, and in the meantime, I'm going to try a liver/immunity support product from PetAlive.com (same company that makes the UTI-Free I give Derry daily). If nothing changes, or if blood values worsen at next check, I'll look at trying something else (the vet said they have something, though it's a pharmaceutical product).

Anyway, poor Nicki was so stoned when he got home that he was staggering around like a drunk, so I closed off the basement (open stairs) and put a litter box on the main level in the entryway. He wouldn't eat anything and was wretching a bit, but I was able to do his Flovent around 10 PM. Then I lay awake most of the night thinking he'd never eat again and it was the start of a downward spiral toward death (a bit of deja vu with Annie).

However, he made it through the night (as did I -- lol) and all told, he ate about half a can of food this morning, plus devoured the lamb and rabbit (soft) treats I gave him. No kibble for ten days, but I've ground some up in my coffee/spice grinder to sprinkle on his food, as I did a couple of years ago when Derry lost two (more) teeth.

I was tempted to stay home today, because I'm so tired and feel so crappy, but I'd just fuss over him and he really needs to rest. I gave him his pain meds this morning--crushed up the pill and mixed it with a bit of chicken juice from one of the Weruva pouches, then syringed it in--and he can sleep undisturbed.

Out of it yesterday evening. Can you see the dilated pupils?  :-)
His right leg is shaved from the IV, and his tummy
is shaved too, from the ultrasound. Poor boy!
Hopefully he'll feel better in a few days, and forgive me for the entire ordeal!

Peace.

Comments

Random Felines said…
he will be back to normal in no time - we just know it. purrs
dood.....sorree buddy......we will ask R pal St Francis ta send sum quik heel blessingz yur way.....itza bummer ya hafta bee off kibble fora few...but...ten dayz iz knot troo lee long if ya spend em chillaxin N nappin...wavez two derry & heerz two an atlantic silverside kinda week oh end ~~~~~ ♥♥♥
John Bellen said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Bellen said…
All in all, not too bad, though I would have worried about the globulin levels, too - and would have had the ultrasound done. He'll be all right soon enough, and how fast cats forgive their people - if they blame them at all - is astounding.

Can his pain medicine be supplied in liquid form? I always ask for that specifically now, pain and anti-inflammatory medicine; whatever they are given.

It was pricey, all right, but it's done now and though you are concerned about the globulin levels, that isn't too bad a problem right now, and you're on it. Not a bad visit, really - especially now that it's over.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
So glad it's all over for Nicki and you. With you being so on top of the issue with his globulin level I am sure you'll be able to sort it all out and hopefully next time he is tested it will be back in the normal range. Nicki has probably already forgotten about all of it!
Cat Lover said…
So glad it is over Kim and Nicki ate this morning. I imagine Nicki isn't bothered by everything that happened to him. He is at home with his family, the best place in the world to him.
Talk again soon!
Kea said…
Thanks, and thanks for the purrs, we appreciate it.
Kea said…
Thanks for the healing energy!
Kea said…
I haven't actually seen the blood work results yet, though I asked the vet to email them to me. I think it's liver-related, but then, Nicki IS immune-compromised anyway.

In the end, it won't matter what I do or don't do, Nicki will die in his time as all Beings do. I'd just like to make his time here the best I can!
Kea said…
I'm glad it's over too. Not sure about the globulin levels, but in all honestly, I'm burnt out worrying about my cats and trying to micro-manage their lives. I'll do the very best I can for both; beyond that, it's not in my control.
Kea said…
Yes, he's happy to be home--and I'm happy to have him home!
Poor baby...I am so sorry!!!! Hope all the test results come out ok. I saw the dollar amount (ouch) do you have pet insurance? I would be lost without it. xoxoxo
Kea said…
No, I don't have pet insurance on the boys. If I ever adopt again, I will; however, it's my understanding that dentals are a bit problematic re: coverage. Maybe that's changed, though, or maybe there are more options now than years ago, when I first adopted the boys.
BeadedTail said…
Poor Nicki! I'm glad he's feeling better today though. Hoping the blood work is improved by April. That is a big bill but he's worth it!
Katie Isabella said…
Poor Nicki and poor you. I feel your anxiety very much as if things were reversed, I would be too. That was very expensive Kim but they are so worth it. They are our family. I am grateful that things have leveled out it seems and lets see what the blood test reveals. xxxooo
Anonymous said…
Oh, my...I am so sorry for Nicki! Poor guy! Prayers for a quick recovery!
I am sorry for you, too. Vet bills are never pleasant, and they are certainly a necessary evil. You are a good CatMom, though. HUGS.
Annie Bear said…
Oh dear. That is expensive but I definitely know how it is, and of course, he's worth it. I hope everything looks good next test. Poor Nicki. I'm sure he's being properly spoiled this weekend.
Saku said…
Poor Nicki and poor you too. That is quite a bill. Hope he's feeling better and you are able to get some rest this weekend.
The Island Cats said…
Aw, poor Nicki. We purr he's back to his old self soon.
Mr Puddy said…
Poor Nicki !
Your mom is genius to find some things you are able to eat. I send a ton of purrs to you,buddy. I hope your healing is super fast !
=^x^=
Kea said…
I hope the blood work is better next time too, though I've yet to see a copy (asked for one).
Kea said…
It would have been reasonable for a dental (here) without the cost of the ultrasound, but I'm glad I had that done. Better to be proactive!
Kea said…
I'm mindful of the fact that our fur companions are with us for a short time only, so will do the best I can for them both. With the understanding that my "best" isn't the same as someone else's "best".
Kea said…
Thanks, yes, I hope his levels are more reasonable next time too.
Kea said…
He's spending most of his time in his spot in the basement (pile of blankets on a Rubbermaid storage container), sleeping. Probably the best thing for him!
Kea said…
Thank you for the purrs!!
Kea said…
Thank you for the purrs, Mr Puddy. I hope he heals quickly too!
Cats Herd You said…
Big hugs for both of you! The estimate for Newton's dental for next week is in that range, too. Hopefully Nicki will be feeling back to his usual self soon.
Poppy Q said…
Hugs to you guys. Hope you both get some rest soon.
meowmeowmans said…
That is quite the ordeal. We are purring and praying for Nicki, and for you, too, Kim. Hugs.