The boys' morning visitor

It's not quite 6 AM here and already we've had a "big" adventure!

Both Nicki and Derry were outside, Derry on the back step, and he was meowing and meowing and meowing, wouldn't stop. I went out, thinking that perhaps Nicki had somehow found a way over the fence, didn't see him. Then Derry ran to the fence and kept meowing...slow-witted human that I am, I finally spied two eyes and a mask behind the sheeting.

A raccoon was up there, just looking at us, quite comfortably perched. 

Of course I ran for the closest camera, which, unfortunately, was only the little Canon point and shoot, tried to get a pic. Couldn't see what I was doing, the flash wouldn't engage, and by the time it did, the raccoon was on the move. If you look closely at the awful snapshot, you can just make out a blob--and if you peer really closely, you can see a bit of the face on the far right, visible through that tiny gap in the corner of the sheeting.

Apparently raccoons aren't too keen to have crazy ladies flashing bright lights at them.

I wish it had a been a bit lighter out, maybe I could have gotten a better pic. Even if I had thought to grab my Fuji I might have gotten a better snap. But who expects to see a raccoon on the fence at 5:30 AM?

Anyway, it's been exciting here for sure!

Derry, my superb watch-kitty!
Has your morning started with any adventures too?

Peace.

Comments

Mr Puddy said…
5.30 am. I had one in Bangkok, but not a wicked. Just one cat was inside my gate, my territory!
Mom & me didn't expect because general, with the high fence and tiny gaps, we never have cat visitors. But this one was very young kitty. Probably 1 years old. His head is tiny so he can passed the little gap at the front gate. Outside was still dark, mom opened the house door for me to do business as usual. We end up played chasing at 5.30 am. MOL

I was chasing him, mom was chasing me ( she worried I might hurt the young kitty ), he was fast so he got out safely!

The most scary adventure of us, probably a young water monitor one but it didn't occur in the morning but afternoon.
Cat Lover said…
Goodness, that was an exciting early morning adventure! Thankfully the raccoon wasn't in your yard. What a brave kitty Derry is!
Hope you have a good/uneventful day!
Robin
Kea said…
A water monitor would be pretty scary! The young kitty, not so much. But I would worry that it would get hurt too. Not sure it enjoyed playing chase with you, Mr. Puddy! :-D
Kea said…
Yeah, that was my thought too, Robin. Because what gets in, doesn't get out! Not easily, at any rate.
Very exciting! We live on a second floor so never get cool visitors like that except for the occasional birdie.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Our life is just too exciting because of IRMA. *UGH*
Kea said…
But you might be safer. LOL. Though it WAS exciting for the boys, especially Derry, who finally came inside and had to tell me all about it! :-D
Kea said…
That's the kind of excitement no one wants. Please be safe and take good care!
doodz.......a few bak....sum dayz.......eye am knot good at math....
a big tuxie cat waz wanderin long de hedge row...him waz de biggest
cat I haz ever seen; even bigger N cuzin dobie....de food gurl toll
me eye better hope like... soundz like swell... that he dinna come up
N spray de houz, de screen door ore de paddy oh door N eye waz like
why knot...her iz such a kill joy

{ skunk }
Kea said…
Aggghhh! Your food service girl was right to say she hoped he didn't come near and spray. Yikes! That's one thing I hope I don't have to face. I've seen skunks around, but haven't been close enough to be concerned.
Rian said…
I'll be that was exciting for the boys... having the raccoon there. Our outside (and inside cats) are very used to having raccoons in the yard. They come right up to the kitchen door, eat with the ferals, and even lay on the porch when it's very cold or very hot to be beneath the heat lamps or fan. They don't usually cause a problem, although I have seen some mama raccoons lick the kittens of the ferals (which isn't good since I believe they can carry distemper).
BeadedTail said…
Derry is very brave! Glad the raccoon didn't get in the yard. That's a lot of excitement for so early in the morning!
Katie Isabella said…
The boys are sleuths extraordinaire! If I had been there I would have screamed my fangs out!
Linda said…
That was quite the early morning visitor. Too bad you didn't get a better photo but it was hard in that light.
Way to go, Derry!
Guardian kitty extraordinaire!
Anonymous said…
Always to listen to the critters. They know. Derry, you handsome guy, nice job!
be careful with those racoons Derry, they are mean!!! xoxo
Kea said…
You have The Wonderful World of Disney in your back yard, Rian! We're a bit less accustomed to the visitors, even though we know they're around. :-)
Kea said…
Yes, I would have woken the entire neighbourhood with my screaming, if the raccoon had made it over the fence and was trapped in the back space. :-D
Kea said…
LOL! Derry is so quiet most of the time that I should have been more alert to something being amiss, but hey, it was pitch black out and VERY early! Those are my excuses anyway.
Kea said…
I know! I wish I'd grabbed the Fuji, at least the flash would have engaged properly. Too late now, can't undo it and I'd rather not have another raccoon (or any other) visitor parked up on the fence, thanks.
Kea said…
He was! I told him I was so proud of him. :-)
Kea said…
Yes, they do. Well, I can't speak for Nicki, I don't even know where in the garden he was hiding, but he certainly wasn't the one making a fuss. :-P
Kea said…
I know, that was my concern! That's only the second time in my 17+ years there that I've had a raccoon on the fence. The first time was years and years ago, one fall when Dad was visiting and Chumley and Annie were alive. Had to have been 2005 or 2006, or maybe a year or two earlier. I remember I woke Dad up because I was out there shouting at it. LOL.
John Bellen said…
Good job, Derry. You and Nicki have to guard against any intruders, feline or otherwise. As for adventures, mine are limited to figuring out a new routine, now that I have a kitten living with me.
Kea said…
Yes, you have your hands full with this new "adventure"! I find two cats more than I have patience for sometimes, six is mind-boggling to me. :-D
meowmeowmans said…
Wow, that's quite an adventure to start your day! Those raccoons are little rascals, for sure. Glad Nicki and Derry are keeping an eye out for such intruders!