Finishing up the staycation pics

Before too many weeks pass, I'm going to finish with the pics I took on October 4th, visiting with Robin.

After spending time at the abandoned cheese factory and barn, we kept driving north on county road 30, till we spied an unexpected turn off for a lovely river area. Turns out we stopped along part of the Trent River (I Googled yesterday, finally), in the Campbellford area.

 
 I was struck by the black rocks, they made me think of cooled and hardened lava.
 Neat impression in the stone.
You can see on the Google satellite image, below, where we were. We had parked just off the turn and were at the shallow part, centre-ish in the frame.
After that, it was on to more adventures!

No, we didn't venture closer to this old barn, it was on someone's very lived-in property. Robin did stop at the side of the road, though, for the photo op.
Along this road, below, we came across a home and farm with free items at the side of the road (Robin scored a few good finds). They had horses and goats, so you know where my attention was!
They were very friendly; it was unfortunate we didn't have any carrots or apples with us. Note to self for next time we're out and about!
 She was across the street, in another field.
 This cute goat had been curled up napping, but obviously we disturbed him.
 A quick snapshot of the view, from the car. It's a lovely rural area.
I think we headed back to Brighton for lunch after that, but we crammed so much in that my memory is getting hazy. I do remember that our next real stop was a farmer's market and pumpkin patch!
 They had gone to town with the pumpkin decorations!
I remember I bought a mini pumpkin pie for dessert after supper, once I got home. In truth, it was too salty for my taste. Our Farm Boy grocery store had better pumpkin pie.

We headed for the water again after that, and spied more horses along the way.
 Once again, no treats!
The mare was especially friendly. I gave her a good, vigorous neck scratch, which she seemed to appreciate. They all needed a good grooming, their manes and tails were filled with burrs, and their hoofs needed a farrier. Made me sad to see. The flies were driving all of them crazy that day, too.
We drove to the end of the road and stopped at the water. I'd been there in May, or maybe it was July, taken pics then too, but the last time we were out that way we saw only cows, no horses.
I've left out a lot -- Robin sliding down a kiddie slide and both of us swinging on a swing set, plus numerous other pics. Too many to post, this is so picture-heavy as it is! Suffice to say I had a great time visiting, as I always do, and look forward to our next adventure, whenever that might be.  :-)

So if you've made it through all of these, give yourself a pat on the back. I'm impressed! Thanks to all for stopping by.

Peace.

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
It really does look like a wonderful visit!
Rian said…
Great pics, Kim! It looks like you had a really nice time. Those impressions in the rock... giant bird tracks???
BeadedTail said…
What beautiful sights you saw! Looks like a great way to spend a staycation!
Kea said…
It was! Lovely to have easy access to the countryside, which resonates so much with me. :-)
Kea said…
LOL @ the giant bird tracks! I don't know what made them, maybe just the way the water has eroded the rock over time. It looked pretty neat, though. Prehistoric. :-)
Kea said…
It was a wonderful way to spend part of my time off. :-)

Thanks for stopping by!
totally awesome photos Kim !!! you know me and water; they of course are my favorite although
all of them are great; glad you have these to look back on ~~~~~ thanx for sharing ! :) ♥♥
Kea said…
I remember that you have a love of water. When I was growing up in Gaspé, particularly as a young girl (not teen), we spent a lot of time down at Haldimand Beach, Gaspé. You can Google for some pics of it, if you're inclined. As an adult and living in Halifax, the ex and I would take fall holidays to Green Bay Beach, along the south shore of N.S. Gorgeous. Even so, it's still the secluded woodlands and brooks that speak to my heart the most.
Linda said…
Lovely to remember outings by looking at the wonderful photos. In your second photo you got a good shot of a pair of yellowlegs. Great capture.
Saku said…
What a wonderful day! You might not have known exactly where you were but you certainly had a grand adventure. Fall days are perfect for a road trip!

Eileen
Anonymous said…
I hope you feel better after this staycation. I know that I do. So, thank you! HUGS!
Kea said…
I couldn't see what I was snapping, it was too bright out. It would have been better to get both of them clearly visible, but oh well! :-)
Kea said…
You're right, fall is a great time for road trips. Well, any season but winter, IMO. :-)
Kea said…
You're welcome. :-)

I'm not sure I feel "better," but the get-away was good for my heart and soul.
Cat Lover said…
Hi Kim, you certainly took wonderful photos. The river was so peaceful and beautiful. Great Linda identified what that bird was. So hard to see it in the bright sun.
The horses were lovely, I loved petting them!
So glad you came and I am looking forward to our next adventure too!
Robin
As always, great photos and thank you so much for sharing. I never get to go anywhere so I truly enjoy them.
Katie Isabella said…
You two had the best time ever! I am enjoying it right along with you. So many places, so much to do, see and completely enjoy and the animals too? I loved every memory here. Thank you for letting us see where you went and what you saw.
meowmeowmans said…
I just patted myself on the back, because I did indeed make it to the end of your post. This was not difficult to do, though. I loved your pictures and commentary! It looks like the two of you had a really great time!
Kea said…
Thanks, Robin. I look forward to seeing yours in your next post, if you do another with the remaining pics. :-)
Kea said…
Thanks! I know that on my own, with no vehicle, I'm very limited, so I really enjoy the jaunts when I visit Robin and Chuck.
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you enjoyed the snapshots. There's tons to see and do--of course, a car helps. :-)
Kea said…
Thanks, Kevin, we did!
John Bellen said…
Excellent photographs. The second one is my favourite, with the crystal-shimmering water. Pumpkins seem to be a popular crop in that district...

I'm surprised that there are so many trees that are still green there. I noted that on the Just Cats blog, too, which also originates in southern Ontario. Most of our trees are yellow now. Well, most are bare, thanks to two days of intense and constant wind...
Beautiful photos! I hope your time off was relaxing =) I especially liked the photos of the pumpkins! Please give your boys an ear scritch from me.
Kea said…
Colours are late this year, because we had more summer in September (and October) than we did during the real summer! More northerly areas have true fall colours, but southern Ontario--not so much.
Kea said…
The time off WAS relaxing...I think. LOL. It's all a blur now. I hope YOU have had a fabulous staycation!
Poppy Q said…
What a lovely day out with so many pretty farms and nice weather.