Staycation Part 2 & Nicki's birthday!

Before I post pics from the morning of the 4th (adventures with Robin), I'll say a happy birthday to Nicki, he's 11 today. (October 10 being the date the shelter listed as his birth date.)

Nicki, in August

I hope we have at least a few more years together, but we just don't know how the Universe will unfold and what the Fates hold in store for us. Anyway, a very happy birthday to my Mr. Brat.  :-)

As for the adventures with Robin, last Wednesday morning we started by dropping her husband off at work, then stopping at the Trenton waterfront for a few pics in the morning light.


Then we headed out to explore an abandoned home she and Chuck had seen in passing. Robin and I are all for traipsing around old properties--keeping a close eye out for dangers in the grass like old traps, of course!

First up was the barn, which hearkens back to my childhood. Lots of old barns around to explore then, and I loved it. Still do.

The snapshot, below, was taken from a ridge. The county road was on the right, the fields on the left. I could have walked up there for hours, wind blowing in my hair, giving me an incredible sense of freedom, something I don't experience in the city.
We headed back and around the other side of the barn, spied this old entrance. It wasn't accessible, and in any case, neither of us would have been foolish enough to go down there and inside.
I lightened this snapshot of the stalls. Since the old house (pics up next) actually was (at least in part) a cheese factory, I presume the stalls were for dairy cows.
 You can see the remnants of a John Deere tractor of some sort, covered by the vines.
I have no idea how long the old bales had been stored there. It was coarse and unfit for consumption, so presumably straw for bedding.

Then it was on to the rambling old house, which, sadly, was in a sorry state. At one point someone had started to make improvements, as a peek through some of the windows revealed painting paraphernalia. There's very little information on the old place, but what little there is, Robin has posted on her blog. We both took a lot of pics, and I'm trying not to post quite the same ones that she did, though it's a challenge!


 Here you can see the sign: the Cedar Creek Cheese Factory.
While we were there, a chocolate lab (I think) came bounding out of the swamp, wet and happy, tongue lolling, followed by his human (farmer). They headed up the road, the dog running all the way.

Then it was on to other adventures! Those pics will have to wait for another post, as this one already has an excess of them.  :-)

Peace.

Comments

Annie Bear said…
Happy birthday, Nicki! The biped best give you lots of treats and lovin'!

I love sunrise! These pictures at the waterfront are lovely. I also enjoyed seeing all the pics of the abandoned farm and house. It's always interesting--there are some around here too--and leaves one wondering. The happy chocolate lab running all the way makes me feel happy :)

By the way, I neglected to wish you a happy Thanksgiving in my comment on your last post. I hope it was a nice holiday for you.
Kea said…
I actually forgot it was Nicki's birthday until I was up and about and drinking my first cup of coffee. But don't tell him that!

I could traipse around the countryside almost every day, camera in hand. Okay, maybe not in winter.

The holiday was quiet, but with lots of good food, thanks! :-)
Random Felines said…
Happy Birthday Nicki - looking good!!

I love old farm pictures like that. My grandfather was a farmer and I loved wandering through the buildings.
Kea said…
I can remember going into neighbours' barns (some abandoned, some not) and seeing all the old harnesses and equipment, a few bits of mane or tail stuck on a protruding stall board, etc. Loved the scent of horses--new or old--of the hay, etc.

When I was younger, in my 20s and 30s, I was content to be living in an urban setting, it suited me at the time. As I've gotten older I seem to have come full circle and yearn to be in a more rural (though not isolated) setting. Since that's not on the table now or in the foreseeable future, jaunts with Robin will have to do! :-)
DOOD !!!!!!! sendin best fishes ♫♫♪ mice creem dishez ♪♪♫♫ N happee day wizhes two ewe N heerz ta another 11....hope yur dayz total lee awesum lee mega soooper grate N ya get ta eat sum donutz !! N joy; heerz two a yeer a head filled with happee nezz N health N we hope ya haz several mor two ! ♥♥♥♥ mom fotoz rock bye de way ~~~~~ ☺☺
Kea said…
I'll pass on your exuberant wishes to him. :-)

They're probably tearing up the house while I'm at work. Ha.
Katie Isabella said…
Happy Birthday you handsome gorgeous hunks mancat! Kim...LOVED every picture and the story behind them. We share a similar interest.
John Bellen said…
Happy birthday to Nicki! Eleven isn’t old for cats; I’m sure he has many good years ahead of him. He is certainly taken care of.

I see abandoned buildings on prairie farms sometimes, and often wonder how they were allowed to fall into such disrepair. Even if someone moved to a new house, you would think the old one would be kept up and rented out, or given to the children, or at the least, knocked down. Look at how well that door-way was built! But they do make for interesting ruins to explore. I probably would have been foolish and gone into the barn. I likely would have paid for it, too.
Anonymous said…
Happy, happy birthday, Nicki, you sweet boy. We wish you the best year yet!
I love all of the pictures. It really makes me want to go Home, to the U.P. XO
Happy Purrday Nicki. We think that was a grand place to explore of course some of us would have tried to get on the roof of the barn and the house.
ZOOLATRY said…
Happy, oh Happy dear Nicki ... best boy! And to your Mom: amazing and beautiful photos ... we LOVE barns and farm fields (she actually might write about "borrowing" some of these) ... and they are just perfect this time of year!
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by, Carole. There are more pics yet to come. :-)
Kea said…
I think it increases property taxes too much to rebuild or maybe even tear down and clean up these old buildings. That's my best guess at any rate.

The barn was pretty stuffed with those bales, no easy way in, really. Not that I saw! The doorway was on the foundation level and not easily accessible, filled with rubble and junk.
Kea said…
Thanks! I've passed on everyone's wishes to Nicki. :-)
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by and for wishing Nicki a happy birthday! I never thought about anyone getting on the roof, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts Nicki would have done it. LOL.
Kea said…
Hi Ann! How lovely that you stopped by, thanks!

Yes, the old buildings are perfect for a fall setting, aren't they? There are plenty of old barns and deserted homes to explore in Robin's neck of the woods. Sure helps to have a car. :-)
Great photos! Felt like I was there too.

Happy Birthday, Nicki!
Beth Backus said…
Never, ever too many pics. Yours are always wonderful, especially the first morning light one. You should print it and sell it.

Happy Birthday, Nicki, you gorgeous cat!
Kea said…
Thanks! I'd like to go back. I could traipse through the countryside pretty much every day, if the opportunity were there. :-)
Kea said…
Thanks, Beth, and welcome! Have you commented before? If so, my middle-aged brain has forgotten. :-D

Take care!
Beth Backus said…
I may have. I don't remember! I DO read every thing you post, but I have a bad habit of not commenting on almost every blog I read.
















Saku said…
Happy Birthday sweet Nicki, I wish you many more happy years with your mom.

The pictures are awesome - I can only imagine how grand the house was in its heyday. It's unfortunate it seems to be beyond rehabilitation but hopefully some of the old materials can be salvaged.

Glad you had a good staycation, hope the next one isn't too far off!
Eileen
meowmeowmans said…
Happy belated birthday to Nicki! We hope you and your human (and Derry!) have many more happy years together. :)

Kim! These photos are terrific. That sunrise one is a knockout!

You had asked in your comment on our blog about Wiggles' respiratory issue. She has sinusitis, so she sneezes a lot, sometimes with discharge. But she's been doing so much better in the past two weeks, we're beginning to wonder if it is stress related. Moosey had chronic sinusitis, and we used to give him a drop of Flonase in each nostril, once per day. It worked like a charm! :)
Kea said…
The next staycation will be Christmas break, when we're closed.

There's no such thing as too many vacation days. :-/
Kea said…
Thanks, Kevin.

The sinusitis doesn't sound so bad, though a daily drop in each nostril can be challenging! Certainly Derry was having none of that several years ago, when the boys were so sick. Moosey must have been particularly accommodating!
SuziQCat said…
Nikki - Happy Belated Birthday! Here's to many more years! What a neat property to go exploring on...great pics!
Kea said…
Thanks for the good wishes for Nicki and for stopping by!
meowmeowmans said…
Moosey was the most accommodating cat ever. He'd willingly tilt his head back without any fuss, get the drop in his nostril, and then shift his head so I could put a drop in his other nostril. Teamwork wins, every time. :)