Enough with the Bing Crosby already, Christmas is over

[Warning: Picture-heavy post. Includes tussling cats in compromising positions.]

Someone's been listening to Bing's "White Christmas" a bit too much--okay a lot too much--because we've certainly had a white Christmas with a vengeance.

I was out both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, took lots of snow snapshots. I don't think we've had this much snow, this early, since winter 2008/09. In recent years we've been getting our snow in January and February, so this already is nuts. Three storms in less than a week, I think.

Christmas Eve--and yes, it was cold!
Christmas Eve night and early Christmas Day brought yet another snowstorm. We must have had 15 - 20 cm of snow, most of it in my driveway. 
I couldn't get through to a taxi on Christmas Day morning, so headed out on foot. None of the side streets had been plowed and I walked for over an hour on the messy streets to my destination. (I could say it was uphill and into the wind, but that would be pushing it, though it was windy.)
 Lots of people were getting out with their snowblowers!
  Back at home, there was more shoveling to do.
I don't have any more room to put the snow!
 The spots on the snapshots are from the blowing snow.
 Our little back space, filled in.
The boys had a good Christmas Day, I think. They got a new ESS scratcher, a new wand toy and catnip balls from my mom, their "grandma". Of course they indulged in their Christmas Day wrestling match.
 It was draw. They both just gave it up.
Today, Boxing Day, has brought sunshine but more bitterly cold temps. I headed out to participate in the Canadian tradition of Boxing Day sales (akin to Black Friday in the U.S.). I didn't get a lot, because I've already ordered everything under the sun online, but I did get cat food on sale at PetSmart (great deal), a Christmas centrepiece from Michael's for 70% off, and two pairs of winter boots from Mark's Work Wearhouse. 
I'm hoping the boots will turn out to be reasonably comfortable. My current snow boots are from Walmart and are too big--I can't walk properly in them, even with thick socks, I just shuffle along. And because they're big, they rub at my heels. Not a comfortable experience. However, I had to go to a size 8 in the Mark's boots, as I've discovered they run small. (My foot size is 6.5D, and usually a size 7 in winter boots works well. Not in this case!)
Both are rated for -25C, which is about what we need right now!

Then some kitty, who shall remain nameless, couldn't stand to be confined anymore and did this:
 Derry had more sense and stayed on the back step. You can see "some kitty's" tracks in the snow!
 Derry watching "some kitty" and no doubt thinking his brother was crazy.
 Yeah, "some kitty" wants in now!
So that's a run down on the past few days! I hope everyone has had a good holiday, but if not, take a deep breath, it's over and done with for another year.

I'll be getting together with family friends from the "old country" later this week (i.e. family friends from Gaspé, QC). Somehow I don't think I'm going to get to any of the little projects I had in mind to do over the holidays.  :-)

Well, no matter, soon enough it will be back to work reality and the uncertainty of a new director, revised job (mine) and an unknown future. So I'll just take this time and enjoy myself and eat, drink and be merry.

Peace to All Beings.

Comments

Saku said…
Wow - you're certainly got more than your fair share of snow! We have far less here but the bitter cold has set in. It was -30C this a.m. when D and I headed out for Boxing Day shopping shortly after 7 a.m. It warmed up a whopping four degrees by 12:30. Hopefully it doesn't head your direction...that much snow and the cold would be brutal.

Love the tussle, we had some of that here today, but no kitty ventured outside. They even run the other way when I go out to the sun room...which is simply a large walk-in freezer these days.

Enjoy your visit with friends, and the rest of your time off. I'm back to work tomorrow, ugh!

Eileen
Kea said…
We're almost as cold, Eileen. Minus 20 and colder windchills -- though the temp without the wind is "only" about minus 10C to minus 15C.

You and your daughter were out early! I hope you got some great deals!
You really got the snow! Loved the tussle and outside romping of the boys! Enjoy your week!
Oh this was FUN! Your photos are just great...love the one with the interesting lines (the walkway or something?) Just love it! Laughing at the boys tussling! They are such BOYS! Crazy kitty wanting to go out! You got about the same amount of snow as us, I am sure the frigid temps have hit you now too. LOVE those boots! Just ordered a new pair (that I pray fit now after reading this post, different brand), but my old boots, I went out in the snow and the water seeped right in..omg I was freezing! Won't know til next week but my new ones are supposed to be waterproof, we shall see! Keep warm and happy boxing day!
John Bellen said…
We've had a lot of snow here, too, though not quite as much as you, it looks like, or the Maritimes. Nova Scotia is just recovering its electrical power. But it's cold here: -20. So far, no outsider cat is interested in booking a room at the Hotel Cosy; I hope that means they have better accommodations elsewhere. I wouldn't be resentful if that was the case, only relieved.

I like seeing the boys so active. I wish mine would tussle - in fun - but they barely like each other. Oh well. They are stuck with each other, and with me, so they'd better get used to it! (And thanks for mentioning Mark's; I will check there for decent boots.)

As for Christmas, I take it the whole Twelve Days. I think it would be a nice conclusion if there were events and celebrations on Twelfth Day, as there used to be. But it seems people had more time then. In any case, I did not brave any Boxing Day sales, even if I need a new pair of boots, too!
ZOOLATRY said…
Wish I'd been walking alongside you .... how very fresh and beautiful it all is, and how well you captured all that beauty in your photos. And of course, the two boys "playing", adorable as always.
Here's to a "good" new year for you and yours ... high expectations!
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by! Yes, we got blasted by winter. Enough already; I'm so ready for spring!
Kea said…
I hope your new boots fit well and are comfy, Caren...and waterproof!

That "walkway" was one of the docks at a downtown marina. The pattern of the snowfall caught my eye.

Take care, you guys keep warm!
Kea said…
I like the idea of celebrations at Epiphany too! As it stands now, everything really is over after Boxing Day -- and Boxing Day is a commercial day anyway.

Good luck finding a new pair of boots. One of my pairs was 50% off, the other only 30%, but I bought both anyway. The only well-made, comfy boots I had were my hikers, not appropriate for the deep snow. If you have time this week, check the various sales. Do you have a Sports Chek in your area? That's where I got my hikers a few years ago, the previous year's style being cleared out, so a good deal. I didn't think to look there yesterday!
Kea said…
Ann, how lovely of you to stop by and leave a comment! I hope your holiday was good, and if bittersweet, that you still had wonderful family time.

It was freezing down along the water, even with thermal layers. Believe me, it's nicer in pics; the reality leaves a lot to be desired. Ha. (Can you tell I'm NOT a winter person?)

Take care and all the best for 2018. I have no expectations, I'm in "wait and see" mode, with all the impending work changes.
Katie Isabella said…
Kim, you give us the most lovely of pictures. Both of the boy and of your world there as you go to work or just out and about. I love them. Not empty words. They are a pleasure for me as I am a person who looks closely at all the details that you have captured. I like detail in my own photos, so I love the extra enjoyment of seeing well composed photos as your always are. I am not as good at walking in the snow as I was so I am glad not to do so in order to get to work. But when I was not a heart patient, I enjoyed being in snow. Now I just walk a lot. Not in snow. :-)

Give the boys smooches from me and Katie please.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I can only imagine what all that snow is like, but what I can say is that it makes beautiful photos. Some of those in b/w would be lovely. You definitely do need those snow boots!!! Good deal. Lovely photos of the boys enjoying the world the way cats always do!
Kea said…
Carole, thank you -- you're too kind for quick snapshots taken with a mediocre point and shoot camera. :-) I just enjoy it so much, and as you know, there's usually something different to catch your eye every time.

Take care!
Kea said…
OMG, I loathe winter, I really do. It always looks ever so much better in pics. The reality of it is something else entirely. :-D

I tried out the grey pair of snow boots this AM and they were fine, yay!
Rian said…
Kim, that's a LOT of snow! And being from the south, I don't like the cold... but it makes for some really pretty pictures. And of course the pictures of the boys enjoying their Christmas and the snow are great. I don't usually venture out for shopping when it gets within a few days of Christmas... but my daughter and I did check out Michael's 70% off sale and came away with a few good deals.
Kea said…
I don't like the cold, either, but then, I don't think I could endure the kind of heat you do!

The only time to buy from Michael's is when they have at least 50% off, so it's great you got a few good bargains!
meowmeowmans said…
Holy smokes, you got a lot of the white stuff! We've had a few little storms so far, but nothing like that. Though we are supposed to have some bitterly cold temperatures for the next week or so.

I love all your photos, Kim. Especially the one of the wooden dock, and of the boys tussling.

As for Nicki going outside in that snow ... why, Nicki, why?! ;)

Big hugs. Enjoy the rest of your time off!
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by, Kevin. I hope you're been having a lovely holiday.

Yeah, we surpassed our average snowfall for December, for sure. LOL. Oh, well...We're one day closer to spring! :-)

Take care and Happy New Year!
Cat Lover said…
Hi Kim, wonderful photos! I love the one at the boat dock walkway, very good. Great to see Nicki and Derry tussling. Looks like they had a lovely Christmas too with all the wonderful presents. It is -27 here this morning, too darn cold!
Stay warm!
Kea said…
Yeah, that dock was neat. You never know what you'll see, something different every time, even though I've done that walk a gazillion times. :-)

YOU stay warm! It's risen to -20C/windchill -30C now. Balmy!
The snow looks very Christmas-y but it's so not fun to walk/drive or shovel. The boys do look like they enjoyed their Christmas tussle! I admire your perseverance in toughing it through the snow to get to your destination. I was able to get a cab on Christmas Day--though it looked a bit uncertain at first. Wishing you a Happy New Year (in spite of all the uncertainty at work!)