Teeth-chattering through the week

We're almost through the first work week of 2018; yay!

Current temps in our city this morning:


That's -9F with a windchill of -35F, for those who don't use Celsius. I'm very thankful for thermal layers and a toasty winter coat, and I'm sure the boys are thankful for their cosy napping spots.

I really haven't been out taking pics this week, except for one lunch time when I walked over to Bellevue House, one of Sir John A. MacDonald's homes, and the one that's open for tours through the spring and summer.


That's the only glimpse you can get from the street.

A great old home in the same neighbourhood:
It looks askew, the fence line is throwing me off!

I did get around to clearing the back space last week (we've since had more snow), and both boys went out, briefly, to check their territory on a couple of days that were less bitterly cold. 
 Look closely at Derry, below, and you'll see a bit of snow on his nose.
 Being inside and warm was much better!
It only looks pretty in photos.
I had a moment of foolishness and ordered the boys a new pet fountain, a different one this time. It came yesterday and I set it up, though I've seen neither drink from it. Nicki sat and stared at the "waterfall" last night, so it remains to be seen whether they'll adjust and drink from it or whether I'll go back to a static bowl.
I'd had a stainless steel model before (different brand than this new one), two of the same in fact, and while that model was very well reviewed, I found it extremely finicky and equally extremely difficult to keep clean. The jury is out on this one, on all counts, though it was easier to get apart (including the pump) than the previous type I'd had.

On another cat note: Nicki has an appointment next Tuesday afternoon, the 9th, for his regular anal gland expression and nail trim. (Don't tell him!) If we get a snowstorm I'll have to reschedule, because no taxi will show up in the snow. It's always a roll of the dice as to whether you can get a taxi even on a good day! 

As for other things: Work is work, lots of changes forthcoming in two-three weeks with the shuffling of space (offices, cubicles), our new director starting on the 29th, two other new staff people coming in at the end of the month as well...changing times. 

I had a few minutes of apprehension before the end of the year when I saw a U-Haul van outside, next door at the adjoining neighbours' unit. I went outside to ask if my "wonderfully quiet" neighbours were moving out, but a young (probably early 30s) woman said no, she was moving in. I first assumed it was a third person, but I now think that it's the girlfriend (?) who occasionally would stay over (she has a car, he doesn't). Her car is there all the time now, which is how I've made this brilliant deduction. (Okay, Sherlock Holmes I'm not.) She's a bit heavier on her feet than he is, but for the most part, it's still been very quiet, thank goodness.

That's about it, I think, or all that I feel like rambling on about. If you're also being affected by this record-setting cold, please stay safe--bundle up in layers, make sure you have an emergency kit in your car (if you have a vehicle), etc.

And keep in mind we're one day closer to Spring!  :-)

Moon snapshot this morning.

Peace.

Comments

Katie Isabella said…
Good Morning Boys. You are looking absolutely gorgeous as you always do.

I have rotating neighbors too. There are THREE rentals...one on either side of me and one across the street. I hate it You never know what you get and it's about always "it's all about me" type of folks.

Cold here too. Single digits rising to the teens or low 20's. Not what you all have to endure.
Kea said…
That's really cold for you, Carole! Stay warm and stay safe, especially if you're getting any kind of freezing precipitation. Smooches to Katie! :-)
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
The boys look very very happy inside out of that cold! Yes, you're right the snow is beautiful in photos and I can only imagine how difficult it is to live in the full winter. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Kea said…
Well, I know parts of Florida also have been hit with cold, not good for citrus crops or for anyone else for that matter, when that's not your typical climate. Crazy weather!

Take care and I hope your weekend is wonderful too!
John Bellen said…
That’s about what we had for a couple of weeks in late December. Now it’s warming up and all the snow is turning to slush. That’s not too bad, but it makes for very rocky bicycling - and walking - after the temperature dips below freezing at night. Well, we haven’t had it for a while, so we’ve been lucky.

Bellevue seems rather a small house for someone who was well-off in the nineteenth century, but maybe it was one of his first homes. regardless, I think those houses had personality, as opposed to the boxes we have now.

The boys sound like my beasts as regards fountains. I tried one, but they simply drank out off the reservoir, when they drank from it at all. And with Cammie needing all the water she can drink due to her borderline kidney problems, I don’t want to take chances on anything new. But I wish my cats were a bit more open to change. They probably think the same of me.
Kea said…
It's not a good angle for Bellevue House, it's actually quite a large and rambling house, built to resemble an Italian villa. It has the lower level with old kitchen and laundry, the main level, and the upper levels too, with quarters for the family and servants.

As for the slush -- ugh. Yes, it's worse trying to get around in that than it is when it's freezing and the snow is hard-packed.

RE: fountains: Derry would drink from the old one, as would Nicki, and I haven't seen Derry drink much from the static water bowl, hence the reason for trying this. Mind you, I seldom see Derry drink at all, which probably isn't good, considering his kidneys seem to be on the cusp of problematic too. There ARE other sources of water in the house for them, though (static).
Annie Bear said…
You have it colder than we do but it's very cold here too. I do hope you'll keep warm when you're out.

I hope the boys will use the new fountain. It sure is nice looking. They both look great! Brave boys to go out in the snow. Pierrot refuses although he used to be homeless on the streets of Philadelphia so I'm sure he's been in it. Maybe because he didn't have a warm place to go after, he learned to hate it. The moon picture is incredible! I also like the shots of the old homes.
Kea said…
We're "a bit" more northerly than you, though. I understand most of this cold air is coming from Siberia, so we all can place the blame elsewhere. :-D

I don't know about the plastic of the fountain. It's pretty quiet, though, on par with the other one, but we'll see how it goes.
23 below !!!!! and here I was bee itchin about 12 below :) happy new year to you K !! a happy one and a healthy one ~~~~

doodz....total lee awesum lee kewl fountin...ya knead sum fish in ther; few minnow

happee new yeer two ewe guyz; heerz ta happee nezz healtheez N grazz oh plentee N get bak
inn side !! :) ♥♥
Kea said…
We were at minus 9 Fahrenheit, though! If you're minus 12 F, you're even colder than we are right now! :-O

You guys stay warm too. It's a good bet the boys won't even stick their noses out the patio door this evening, and wisely so.
BeadedTail said…
That's way too cold! I'm sure the boys much prefer sunpuddles inside! That's a nice fountain. We have two of the stainless steel ones and both girls like it. We wash it in the dishwasher but there are still water spots on it. I know it's clean even if it looks spotty. Hope all goes well both at work and for Nicki's appointment.
Our temps are about the same as yours but not the snow! Goodness, that is a LOT of the white stuff! Be careful out there!
Cat Lover said…
Hi Kim, it feels like it has been cold for months! Thankfully looking ahead I see we are coming out of it. Too cold to walk very far!
Lovely photos of the boys. Have you noticed them drinking out of the new fountain?
Great moon shot. I noticed this morning quite a few stars twinkling along with the moon. But I didn't go outside and take a photo!
Stay warm!
Kea said…
I think a dishwasher would be good for those fountains, if it's the same kind I previously had for them. Except for the pump, presumably. We have hard water here, and even filtered it would get caked in build-up. Ugh. Easier to have a static bowl, so I'll see how things go with this one! (Oh, I should add I don't have a dishwasher, never have, more's the pity! I hate doing dishes.)
Saku said…
We finally got rid of the cold just after New Year's but it appears it has made its way east. I was listening to a news article the other day - it is believed that the polar vortex that normally would trap the weather far to the north has been damaged (my word, not theirs) and as a result the cold air is released to venture much further south.

Whatever is causing it, I can hardly wait for spring! In the meantime we've reached a balmy -7C today so hopefully the nicer temps will find the way to you soon.

Lucky kitties to stay home when it is so cold outdoors. Have a wonderful week - I sure hope all the changes at work will be more beneficial than less Change is never easy....I'm well aware of that!
Kea said…
I didn't realize you guys were as cold as us. Brrrr! Warming up, relatively speaking, this week, though. It's easier to get around on hard snow pack than it is on ice or in slush.
Kea said…
I know, it's been freezing since Christmas Day/Boxing Day! And we had a bitterly cold spell earlier through December too, though it's all blurring together now.

Nicki will drink from the fountain when I unplug it. LOL. Haven't seen Derry go near it yet.
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by, Eileen. I think the "warmer" weather will reach us starting Monday. Honestly, if we get to minus 7C, it'll feel like spring. LOL. I know we Canadians pride ourselves on being hardy and coping well with the cold, but this has been ridiculous.

Take care, have a good weekend and I hope work will be okay...even good...for you. No one wants to head into retirement with a huge amount of work stress to deal with. (On the other hand, it'll mean you REALLY appreciate being finished with it all. LOL.)
meowmeowmans said…
Wow, the boys are brave to go outside in that. But smart to know that it's better to be inside and warm. :)

We hope they end up using that water fountain. Gracie loves hers (and Angel Zoe used to, as well).

I'm glad your quiet neighbor isn't moving. Hopefully things will continue to be quiet with the GF moving in.

And your temps are even colder than ours. We were at -26 C this morning. Yikes! The weird thing is that it is supposed to be around +10 C later this week. Crazy weather...

Hugs to you and the boys.
It is so cold! I can't believe your boy deciding to venture out in all that frozen white stuff :)
The fountain looks so interesting. I'm curious if they have started to use it? Winston needs to drink for his urinary health (on a special diet) and I've considered buying a fountain but the stories of cleaning it etc having always deterred a purchase!
Stay warm! Last year, while out taking photos, I realized I could barely move my fingers and there were tiny waxy patches on them. Uh oh! I headed home fast.
Ear scritches to you handsome boys.
Kea said…
I actually saw Nicki drink from the fountain (turned on/running) earlier today, the first time I've seen him. I haven't seen Derry drink from it at all.

Oh, plus 10C! We MIGHT get into the plus range, but just barely, and I'm sure it'll come with rain or freezing rain. Worse than snow! Take care, stay safe on the roads.
Kea said…
I saw Nicki drink from it today, first time while it was running. Haven't seen Derry drink from it yet at all, either running or unplugged.

The one I had before (went through 2 of them in less than 3 years) was the Pioneer Pet Raindrop Fountain. Supposedly one of the best around, but mine were VERY finicky and difficult to keep clean. Trying to get the pump apart to clean, and then the filter and pump back into the housing, was an exercise in frustration for me. The boys liked that kind, though, so it was good from that point of view.

Scary about your fingers last year! I'm not out much taking pics, especially not in freezing weather. Just those couple of days over the Christmas break. :-)
SuziQCat said…
Glad we haven't been as cold as you, but today (Jan 8th) is the first day we have gone above freezing all year! That's a bit much for us in the South! My boys love their fountain, although Oliver has trouble drinking from it...he snorts the water often! We have regular bowls around the house too just in case. I hope Nikki and Derry will adjust to the fountain.