A Penny For Your Thoughts


I just spent a couple of days with friends in Brighton and now am wading through all the snapshots I took during our jaunts. I had 672 pics, plus about 60 on the cell phone, whittled that down to 222 on the camera and 50 on the phone. What can I say? I can't help myself!

I'll have lots to post for a bit, and I'll start with Penny, the store cat the antique market in Colborne.  We'd gone last fall when I was visiting, and while we didn't set out to return this time, we missed a turn off for "Little Lake" and so ended up there. That turned out to be fortuitous for Robin, who found a couple of items that "spoke to her heart", and for us both, as we got to see Penny again.

Penny is a licker, she licks anyone who starts to pet her. We both thought she was a very senior cat, perhaps because she's so petite, not much but fur, but it turns out she's only 6-ish, adopted from a humane society.
She also doesn't seem to be very active; she was curled up in her bed when we there last fall and was again this time, not inclined to get up and move. Maybe she exhausts herself during the nights, hunting all the mice that the building surely has. (It's a vast space, filled with various vendors' antiques and plenty to keep a kitty occupied.)

We chatted with Penny's human for a while, and she's very passionate about issues and policies at a local humane society, about the cost of vet care, etc. She has a sensitive and caring heart and I'm sure Penny has a good home there.

I'll have other kitty pics to post, of the stray and semi-feral Robin feeds, and one of the neighbourhood kitty mooches who knows a sucker when he sees one.  :-P

But for now it's back to editing pics!

Peace.

Comments

Penny is a mighty cute kitty.
She looks quite comfy there and maybe she does her running around after dark ;)
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ
what a sweet, sweet kitty! So pretty!
Saku said…
Penny certainly has a good life; a place to curl up in, lots of scritches from accommodating customers, and a safe place to hunt at night.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing many more of your lovely photos.

Eileen
BeadedTail said…
It's probably exhausting being the object of attention all day long. It's a tough job being so adorable! Glad you had a nice trip!
Annie Bear said…
I think I would go there just to see Penny. She is so cute. I love her bed with all the blankets stacked high. :) I never really watch Jackson Galaxy's Cat from Hell but happened to have it on the other day. He said that normally shop cats aren't really pets. I don't that's the case with Penny (and I hope it's not the case with other shop cats either). Pierrot, who's seven, has become quite lazy.
Poppy Q said…
It looks like Miss pops bed piled up with blankies. Good on Miss Penny - it looks like her throne, and she enjoys being worshiped there.

Glad you had fun being away and we look forward to seeing more of your pictures.
Kea said…
Thanks. She's a lovely, affectionate girl and I hope she has a long and happy life there, being adored by all the customers. :-)
Kea said…
She is! Could use a good furminating, though. LOL.
Kea said…
I think so, I think she's just petite, dainty! :-)
Kea said…
It WAS a great little jaunt. Amazing what you can do when you have access to a vehicle and a couple of days off from work. :-)
Kea said…
LOL! I'm sure it is, no wonder she sleeps all day. :-P
Kea said…
Oh, I don't think that's the case with Penny, and I don't think it's the case with the cats at two of our local pet food/supply stores. Maybe some shops have cats specifically to work (rodent control), but the ones I've met aren't there for that specifically.
Kea said…
It definitely is her throne, where all come to abase themselves at her kitty feet and gaze at her in adoration. :-D
Looks like Penny lives a very spoiled life! Beautiful girl!
Kea said…
I think she does indeed! :-)
John Bellen said…
That’s a lot of photographs. I don’t know if my camera would even hold that many. And if it did, many would be blurry, so it’d be easy for me to sift through them.

Penny’s a fine-looking cat. I imagine she is quite active in the night, and is sleeping off her fun during the day. Or, she could be like mine, and simply be a lazy dog.
Kea said…
I took all of them with one battery (did have another one for back-up), which amazed me. The Canon PowerShot point & shoot that I have has a good battery, apparently (the Canon one, I also have a generic one).

Penny IS a pretty girl, isn't she? She needs a good brushing or comb-out, though.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
How pretty Penny is! Love the first shot of her all nestled in her basket!
wavez two ewe penny; ewe R one gorgoeuz gurl !!! N ya noe; sum how, de bed we waz in last fall.... iz de eggz act same one we iz in..... like in reel time rite now.....kewl huh !! :) ♥♥
SuziQCat said…
What a pretty girl! Oliver is a licker too. I've always joked that licking would be his love language :)
Kea said…
She's eager for scritches (and to lick hands!), but doesn't seem inclined to get up. A true Queen, I guess. :-)
Kea said…
LOL! Well, it's hard to give up comfy beds, isn't it? No reason to, when you have humans attending to your every whim. :-)
Kea said…
I actually was surprised that her licking didn't turn into biting, but she doesn't seem inclined to do that. Sweet girl.
meowmeowmans said…
Penny is so cute. Glad you got to visit her during your jaunt. :)

Here's hoping you'll be sharing some of those photos you took sometime soon!

Hugs to you, Nicki and Derry!
Penny is very pretty. I love it when stores have cats, especially when they're adopted from a shelter.
Kea said…
She is. Mostly fur. :-D
Kea said…
Yes, it wasn't intended, to stop and see her, so it was an added bonus. :-)
Kea said…
Hi Danielle, thanks for stopping by the blog!

I absolutely agree about store cats, particularly those that are shelter adoptees/rescues. I wish our office could have a cat or two, or dog...or any four-legged critter, really. It would make the work day much more enjoyable! :-)