OMC, I'm brilliant!

Okay, that's a stretch, but close!

Several years ago I had that QuietRock drywall installed over the existing drywall, on the entire adjoining wall. Part of that entailed having to remove the hall closet bi-fold door, and I've yet to replace it. (It's not the cost of the door itself, it's that the delivery charge would at least double the cost of the door, along with the matter of finding someone who can shave it down 5/8" to fit the space with the added layer of drywall.)

Anyway, recently I've seen a couple of units in our complex up for sale with curtains hung for hall closet doors. Seriously. (Okay, I'd make sure the door was replaced before I put my own unit up for sale, unless there was a reason I had to sell quickly.) So I thought, well, why not? I can do the same for a short to medium term fix until I'm able to get a real door installed.

Enter ApartmentTherapy.com, my new, absolute favourite web site. They have great articles and ideas for renters and home-owners, really for anyone, especially those of us on a limited budget.

One of the articles I saw earlier in the week showed a photo with curtains hung on a rod, using Command hooks. (OMC, I love those things!) It was a lightbulb moment!

One Value Village hidden tab panel (to be replaced when I find one I like that's a lighter colour) plus one $9 half-inch curtain rod from Canadian Tire plus two Command hooks equals a make-shift "door" that at least hides my vacuum cleaner and boots, etc.


It's not perfect, but like so much else in my townhouse, it'll do.  :-)

Peace.

Comments

Annie Bear said…
Wow! I think it's great! The rod looks nice. I bet you could, like the others, sell your place like that without getting the door replaced. I'm going to check out apartmenttherapy.com, especially now that I'm in an apartment. However, we pay more in rent than when we owned, so I like to take advantage of the fact that we don't have to do anything to our place. I bet they have lots of neat ideas, though.
BeadedTail said…
That is brilliant! It looks nice and serves the purpose for however long it needs to. Perfect!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
That is a fabulous idea!!! We love it ... going to check out that website!
Kea said…
That's the point of renting, to not have to do any repairs or whathaveyou! But there could be tweaks to your space you can make that the landlord would not do (decor/design). :-)
Kea said…
I thought it was brilliant too! Too bad I didn't think of it myself. LOL.
Kea said…
I thought it was a great idea too. I'm already wondering if I can do that for a window that needs a new curtain rod. One of the spare rooms upstairs, which I had painted in May. I just don't want to put holes in the walls again, after patching them before I painted! (And I'm lazy, I admit it. Easier to use Command hooks, if possible!)
Katie Isabella said…
I'm headed over there! And who KNEW Command Hooks were available;e!?
Kea said…
The Command Hooks have been around for a long time, but they've made huge strides in recent years in terms of appearance. I love them, have them all over the house.
meowmeowmans said…
Wow! That came out really nice. I love that you were inspired by what you saw on apartmenttherapy.com, and then figured out how to do it yourself. It looks great, Kim!

Hope you and the boys are doing well!
Poppy Q said…
They look great. I have used command hooks in the past and find that they can pull off some paint or wallpaper when removed so in this place I have nothing on the walls in case I leave dents.
Kea said…
Yeah, you have to pull those tabs off carefully and slowly, and pull down, not out. I think the first one I took off the wall took the paint off, but I didn't remove it correctly. I've not had any problems since then, though, knock on wood!
Kea said…
Never let it be said that I can come up with ideas on my own. But I can "steal" others' ideas...which probably have been "stolen" from others, etc. :-D
K...this is a great idea...and the fabric is really nice; I like the print...good job !! :) ♥♥
Kea said…
Thanks! I love these low budget ideas that actually look okay!
John Bellen said…
That looks like the answer! Can we have a picture of the whole curtain and doorway?
Kea said…
Yes, can do, I just have to remember to snap one. :-D

I'll send it to you via email.