Back from the mini-holiday
I got back Friday at supper time from visiting friends Robin and Chuck in Brighton. Another fun, whirlwind visit, with so much crammed in!
We (i.e. Robin) did a lot of driving along county roads, and I think we hit almost every thrift shop around too. I spent about $20 - $25 and came home with 9 tops, some for work, some just for weekend wear, a lovely summer 2018 magazine "The Cottage Journal," (regularly $14, for 50 cents!), and a DVD for $1. I love shopping at all these thrift stores! They're volunteer run and that means inexpensive merchandise. The bonus is that you support various local charities by shopping there.
We (i.e. Robin) did a lot of driving along county roads, and I think we hit almost every thrift shop around too. I spent about $20 - $25 and came home with 9 tops, some for work, some just for weekend wear, a lovely summer 2018 magazine "The Cottage Journal," (regularly $14, for 50 cents!), and a DVD for $1. I love shopping at all these thrift stores! They're volunteer run and that means inexpensive merchandise. The bonus is that you support various local charities by shopping there.
We went to Presqu'ile Provincial Park, Wicklow Beach (we always stop at Wicklow Beach, it's a wonderful spot), we saw Louie at the Northumberland & District Humane Society thrift store in Cobourg, we found/saw Little Lake (it was recommended we go there back in July by someone we ran into then), but we couldn't find a way to get down to it, and we even went to the Toe Beans Cat Café in Port Hope.
I have a slew of pics, so here we go! I'm posting them in the order in which I took them. As always, enlarge for best viewing.
Robin feeds the birds and squirrels, and I finally got pics of a bluejay! I've been waiting for the past couple of years to get some, and I took a zillion.
Mags, below, also is up for adoption. She was a love, just wanted to be around people and wanted cuddles. (Update: Robin emailed me to tell me that Mags was adopted on Saturday; yay!)
Abandoned farm along a county road, as we were trying to find Little Lake.
The view from the car.
Robin's lovely autumn display.
"Snowball," who comes in to mooch. He's owned, insofar as any cat can be "owned,", but his human lets him roam day and night. We don't think much of that. We also don't know his real name. Snowball is what Robin calls him.Robin feeds the birds and squirrels, and I finally got pics of a bluejay! I've been waiting for the past couple of years to get some, and I took a zillion.
This woodpecker was hard to snap; he was hidden behind all the branches.
One of the beaches at Presqu'ile Provincial Park, below. It was COLD! I didn't pack warm enough clothing, I foolishly looked at the forecast and thought I'd be fine, not taking into account being by the water.
Does anyone know what kind of critter made these prints? Not a rabbit, obviously. Cute.
After the beach we drove to the marsh boardwalk in the park.
There are two look-outs along the boardwalk.
This is a popular spot for birders during migration.
The very old boardwalk, below, long closed.
One of the "saddle" trees, worn smooth by decades of human butts. :-)
The beach area by the old lighthouse in the park.
The lighthouse is undergoing reconstruction.
Miss Kitty, the stray Robin and Chuck have taken in. She's a free spirit, comes and goes as she pleases.
She jumped down from the window ledge and came over to me for scritches, purred up a storm. I was honoured; she doesn't trust anyone but Robin (and Chuck). I guess I was accepted!
Wickow Beach on Friday morning. OMC, it was FREEZING and blowing a gale!
A quick snap of fall colours after Wicklow Beach and headed to Cobourg.
Louie, at the humane society thrift store. Everyone loves Louie!
Princess Zelda, below, at the Toe Beans Café. She's a young Maine Coon, one of the café owner's cats, not up for adoption.
Sassy is up for adoption! They've only opened recently and already have been successful adopting out cats from the humane society. It's a great way to showcase them.Mags, below, also is up for adoption. She was a love, just wanted to be around people and wanted cuddles. (Update: Robin emailed me to tell me that Mags was adopted on Saturday; yay!)
We both had a grilled cheese sandwich, and I had a shortbread cookie too. The café is expensive (for what you get), but we didn't mind, it's in support of the cats.
Princess Zelda was fascinated by the nature video playing.
They have the biggest cat cube I've ever seen!
And the cutest cat wallpaper too.
We stopped at Rutherford's farm market too, to see the llamas.
This guy, below, does not like having his picture taken. It wasn't long before he ambled over to the barn door and went inside.
We got the llama back of disrespect before he went inside.
A final shot of fall colours.
Thank you to both Robin and Chuck for hosting me again, and to Robin for driving so much over the three days. It was fun, though exhausting!
The boys seemed to survive just fine, but both have been very clingy since I got home, wanting to be around me, either cuddled up or nearby.
I missed you guys too!
Back to work tomorrow, but with our director, assistant director and our most senior analyst out at an annual conference in Calgary, it should be a quiet start to the week.
My best to all, I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!
Peace.












Comments
Robin emailed me to let me know that Mags was adopted yesterday; yay!
Yes, I don't take their friendship for granted. Being a high-scale introvert, and not trusting of people, I don't make friends easily, never have. I've been blessed to have a few dear friends at various points in my life, and this is one of those times.
Have a great week!
Eileen
Miss Kitty and Louie were a delight to see, and I'm so glad you shared your pics from the cat cafe (Toe Beans is a great name!).
I always love the little adventures with Robin, it's a treat to be out of the city and roaming around the countryside!
Thanks for stopping by, it's a joy for me to take the pics and to share them!
I deleted my FB account some time ago, and have avoided Instagram and anything else. Too much of my time every day is being spent in front of a computer screen, for work and then for home, and I'm making a conscious effort to unplug when I'm off. But I feel like I'm missing out on a lot!
Yes, the boys still seem clingy, not happy to have me go off to work for 10.5 - 11 hours per day. I keep telling them to pick the winning lotto numbers, but they're not listening, so....(I feel very blessed to have a good job and don't take it for granted, just in case I have to clarify that!)
Anyway, it was a fun trip, it likely will be spring before I get to go again. It would be nice to live closer, I can imagine what Robin and I would get up to. LOL.
Ear scritches to the boys!
K; total awesome photos as always; glad ya had a nice trip.
next time you talk to robin, tell her I said Hi; miss her blog
{ the cafe iz amazin =^..^= !! }
L ♥♥☺☺
We used to have a cat café here too, though I'd never made the time to go. A co-worker told me it lasted only about a year, though -- too bad.
Thanks for stopping by!
World of Animals