Well, that was exhausting

The visit with Dad and his wife has come and gone; they left Tuesday late in the morning. It was terrific to see Dad and he looks fantastic. He turned 79 yesterday, but he could have been turning 69. Good genes. It helps that his wife cooks very healthy food, keeps him active (she's 16 years younger).

It was exhausting, though! Dad's pretty laid back and easy going, but his wife is very high energy, always has to be on the go walking (pretty much power walking) somewhere. My poor feet with their plantar fasciitis couldn't keep up, and I left them to it on a couple of occasions.

However, we enjoyed the food tour on Sunday, stopping at 8 or 9 downtown venues for samples of gourmet food. Yum! The guide was energetic and knowledgeable, and there were only 10 of us in the group, so that made it a nice 3 hours.

We did other touristy stuff as well, and enjoyed the waterfront, etc. 

Both the boys and I were completely wiped out after they left, though, and we all crashed for a couple of hours. I went to bed at 7:40 PM on Tuesday night and didn't get up once in the night (!), woke at 4:30 AM on Wednesday. I never sleep like that. LOL.

I also survived the train trip and all-day meeting with my boss last Tuesday (September 25), and she survived the 15+ hours with me too. A minor miracle, I'm sure. Ha. The meeting itself was interesting enough and I'm glad I went, in spite of the long, long day. The fact that it was grey and drizzly all day didn't help, but it made for an atmospheric quick snapshot (with the cell phone) of the CN Tower.

Now I'm happily looking ahead to our long Thanksgiving weekend, which is almost upon us. (Monday is the holiday.) I have nothing on my agenda beyond the usual, though I'm having a kitchen faucet issue, so might get brave and take a look at it. I've already YouTubed it and had a go at disconnecting various things under the sink and it's not a water pressure issue, as I found out. Well, I needed to wash the inside of the cupboard anyway. Yes, I had a pail handy, but I disconnected in the wrong spot and got the geyser. Plumbing 101. Good thing I have shut off valves under the sink. If I go the route of a new faucet altogether, I think I'll just pay someone to install it for me. I know I could do it myself, eventually, but I think it would take me a fair bit of time and might entail a few bus trips back and forth to and from a local box hardware store. In other words, it probably would take me hours to do what an experienced person could do in about 20 minutes. The older I get, the more I realize that my time is valuable and that some things are worth just paying for.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and I wish all those in Canada a very happy Thanksgiving, hope you have a terrific long weekend. I'll leave you with a couple of inspirational graphics from TinyBuddha.


Peace.

Comments

Rian said…
So glad you had a good family visit, Kim. And yes, I do understand that as much as you enjoy it, it can be exhausting. What I've learned is that... in the end, I'm always glad it happened. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
K; glad you had this vacation//visit with family...nice to see you back this way as well. have a very happy thanksgiving; da tabbies hope it's not celebrated like the one here.. with a bass terd turkee; but enjoy the long weekend anyway !!! :) ♥♥ the tree is amazing !!!!!!!!
Glad you had a great visit with your dad!
BeadedTail said…
I can see why that was exhausting but I'm glad everything went well! Hope all goes well with the faucet too. Yay for a holiday weekend to continue resting up!
Katie Isabella said…
Had to smile. I know what it's like having folks stay, as do we wall, and boy, it sure is exhausting BUT we wouldn't want to miss having them with us.
Annie Bear said…
Happy Thanksgiving if I don't "see" you before! It sounds like a nice visit with your dad but also sounds like his wife a bit exuberant. I'm glad the long day with your boss and the meeting went well. I have a business trip in Atlanta in two weeks and it's going to be crazy (plus I'll be three hours behind). I'm sure I'll crash too! Good luck with the faucet!
Good to hear the family visit went well :)
And the business trip.
Sleep is very good when you can get it!
What ended up happening with your plumbing issues?
meowmeowmans said…
I'm glad you had such a nice visit with your dad and is wife, Kim! And that you and the boys were able to crash and sleep afterwards (9 hours straight ... heavenly). :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you. Enjoy, and good luck with that sink.

Hugs!
Kea said…
I'm keenly aware that we're all getting older and that my time with both parents is getting short (though I hope they're around for years to come, and me too). So I don't take it for granted, even though it takes a couple of days to recover. :-)
Kea said…
No turkey, but (sorry tabbies), there will be chicken. :-D
Kea said…
Thanks! It had been 18 months, so it was especially nice to see him.
Kea said…
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and call a plumber. S/he can figure it out in minutes, rather than my hours!
Kea said…
You're right, it's worth the exhaustion. :-)
Kea said…
There's never enough sleep, is there? What has happened with the plumbing is that I'm going to call a bona fide plumber and let them sort it out (in minutes, I'm sure). :-D
Kea said…
"Exuberant" isn't the word I would use -- lol. You're very diplomatic! :-D

Good luck with YOUR upcoming business trip!
Kea said…
Nine hours is a record, I think. LOL. Yet I still don't feel rested! :-D

RE: the sink: time to suck it up and call a professional who can sort it out in minutes, and not muck anything up.
SuziQCat said…
Glad you had a nice visit. I'm sure you and the boys will catch up on more sleep this weekend. I love a long weekend! Happy Thanksgiving to you all. At least you aren't in Calgary where they had snow this week. That's crazy to me, since we are still in the upper 80's here.
Kea said…
I've seen the news coverage of Calgary's snow! :-O

They broke a 104-year old record with that snowfall; it's crazy. Our new director is from there, maybe she's glad not to be living there right now. LOL.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
That sounds like a very fun visit,but also one where it was nice to get back to your normal routines too. I think everyone is like that. We definitely need our own routine. I've been taking care of household issues for several months now. It's stuff I had to hire a handyman to do and I was searching for someone I felt good about, and finally did. But, to save money I am doing some of the things and yesterday I spent painting the house (well the parts of it he had to replace, not the whole house) but I feel it today.
Kea said…
Ugh, I feel for you with that painting! As much as I used to be able to paint part of the house (interior) on a weekend and go to work with energy on Monday, not so much anymore! I painted a spare room and my upper hall (two different sessions) this spring and yep, I felt it too -- and those were small areas! Good luck!
Saku said…
I would say, a very successful visit with your Dad and his wife, even though it was tiring. For certain, you made memories! The food tour sounds wonderful - I assume the group moved at a slightly slower pace.

Happy Thanksgiving! We'll be out at my daughter's home (so nice to be able to say that) for Sunday.

Eileen
Kea said…
Happy Thanksgiving! Never mind ME being tired, you must be too! I hope you have a lovely long weekend. :-)
John Bellen said…
I am just catching up on the blogs I read, and I have been behind. I'm glad the visit went well. Even a good time can be exhausting; maybe it should 'especially a good time'. I don't doubt that it did your poor feet in, though.

It's already Sunday (that's how far behind reading blogs I am), so I hope you are in the midst of a wonderful long weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the boys.
Kea said…
I'm impressed you're able to visit any blogs right now, considering all that you're juggling!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, I hope the long weekend is calm, cat-wise.