Nicki's vet visit

Nicki had his regular vet visit on Monday morning, so off we went in the taxi, Nick singing the Song of his People the entire way. 

Nicki later in the afternoon, with a full tummy and done for the day.

He's lost a fair bit of weight (down to 11.2 lbs from 12.3 lbs last April), so I wanted to have a urine analysis done, as well as blood work (along with the usual expression of his anal glands, his claws clipped, his mouth checked, etc.).

I've been waiting for the results and finally the vet just emailed me: his thyroid is fine, chemistries are "in line" with last spring's, his Creatinine actually is a few points less this time, but there was a problem with one of the blood sample tubes for the CBC and the cells were hemolyzed (I had to look that up).

The vet suggested that the lab run a urine protein/creatinine ratio (as they did last April), and then said that I could bring Nicki back next week for another blood sample, no further charge.

My reply: Yes to the ratio, and a flat no to the stress of bringing Nicki back next week. (Plus taking more vacation time to do it.) Further blood work will wait until he goes back in a few months for his anal glands, unless something happens to him in the meantime. I don't think cancer would necessarily show up in blood work anyway, thinking the worst case scenario.


So Nicki's weight loss can't be attributed to thyroid or kidneys, which is good. I've been trying to watch what I give them because Derry is so obese, so I don't know if that's the reason for Nicki's decline in pounds, coupled with his natural aging (he was 12 last fall), or if there is something else going on (i.e. cancer). Right now Nicki's running around per usual, still getting into trouble and being his sometimes obnoxious self, so I will do my best not to worry unduly. Because worrying isn't going to change the eventual outcome -- meaning no matter what I do and whether or not I panic, he'll still die in his time, as will Derry and as will I.

And I have to say that while I have regrets with Chumley and Annie, I have no regrets with the boys. I know I've given them good lives and the only thing I would do differently is fuss and micromanage less. It's exhausting and pointless and robs me of the time I do have with them.

Anyway, remember my Sunday post about the snowstorm? Yeah, well, it turns out we got an average of 40 cm of snow, not the 20 - 25 that was forecast. That's about 16 inches of the white stuff, and that makes me doubly glad I the driveway plowed!



Peace.

Comments

Random Felines said…
yikes - that is a lot of snow. we think it is harder as cats age - again makes mom wish we could tell her what we are up too
Saku said…
Oh my, that's a lot of snow! I'm with you, there is no point stressing Nicki any more than you have to - it's likely watching Derry's food has an impact on Nicki too. He's such a handsome boy!

Eileen
Katie Isabella said…
I am truly grateful about the vet visit. And while he has lost some weight...it's not a terrible amount. And he's still acting normally. {Perhaps he is eating more carefully as you are helping Derry). I have to do something with Katie. She is a little round girl now. I wouldn't take him back either for another blood test. Your reasoning is spot on and you have an excellent plan for him when he goes back anyway.
Peace to the three of you.
Oh, Nicki, you look so exhausted from your day out! Don't blame you for putting off the blood recheck for a few months. It's so stressful for them. Those are some snowbanks from your driveway!
BeadedTail said…
Good call to not put Nicki through that stress of another blood test. Since Nicki isn't showing any other signs other than weight loss, I wouldn't worry about it right now either. Our home vet has moved to the midwest so now we have to take Isabella somewhere because she needs a vet to prescribe her FloVent. She's gets so car sick that we're dreading that appointment. As for the snow, whoa Nelly! That's a lot! We haven't had one snowflake. :)
meowmeowmans said…
Dang. That's a heck of a lot of snow, Kim! We're glad you had the drive plowed, too. :)

We hope Nicki's weight loss is just because you've been more careful with feeding, and not something nefarious. Love that you don't have regrets, and that you are concentrating on how to make the best of the time you have with the boys. Hugs!
Poppy Q said…
I'm with you Kim. I took Poppy in for some checks in November which were fine, but then sent an email last week asking her to have a senior check and to have her vaccinations. I took her in while I was still on holiday. I was told that then that her check in November was ok, and no vaccination needed which was a bit annoying. Now they want me to take her back for weigh checks every 3 months which is such a pain.

Miss Pops has got a bit more fussy about her food - but has still managed to put weigh on so I'm not worried.

Give your boys a pat from me.
SuziQCat said…
Glad the visit is over and all is well. Don't blame you for not taking him back for more bloodwork. Oliver's sample had a problem last time too and he had to go back the next day. Everything turned out fine, but it was stressful. Since Nicki goes in often for his glands, I think that is a fine time to recheck the blood values.
dood.....we iz buzzed happee ya gettted a 98% good ree port; N speekin frum a catz POV
we woodna wanna go bak either.....we noe ewe noe ewe will tell mom if sum thin funkeez
goin on ~~~ hi ta derry; ya both stay IN trubullz N heerz ta noe...mor....snow~~~~ :) ♥♥
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
That was good news Nicki got and we are glad you eliminated what I'm sure in your mind was the likely culprits leading to his weight loss. But older beings just seem to whittle down and maybe it's just natural and there is nothing to worry over. I know I do the same thought with the "worry" issue. Don't worry about worrying, but that's hard too ... well impossible sometimes. Wow that is a LOT of snow!
Annie Bear said…
Nicki is so cute resting up from his hard day. Try not to fret that he has cancer based on him losing a pound. His labs sound really good. Annie’s weight tends to fluctuate sometimes. Plus, you are being more careful with their feeding.

Yes, that was good about the plowing. Goodness! You got a lot of snow!
John Bellen said…
Nicki's weight loss is of course concerning, but you are doing all that can be done. As you wrote, worrying won't change matters - though we worry about our friends, anyway. The older I get the more I realise that quality of life is the important thing - for everyone - and Nicki's quality of life is very good indeed.