I've heard of the boy in the bubble, but the cat?

The bus I took home yesterday was jam-packed with students, and along the way three people got on: this kid, a young woman, and an older woman. The boy first sat in the seat ahead of me, then when the bus cleared a bit, moved over with his family. It took me a moment to realize what I was seeing on his back:



OMG, the poor cat! I asked the young woman if the cat was a girl or boy (female) and if she had been to the vet. She said yes to the vet, but as they were not English-speaking, I really don't know if she understood.

Anyway, I felt awful for the poor cat, stuffed into that carrier on a packed, noisy bus. She meowed piteously at one point, but then was quiet. The boy was not careful with that backpack carrier, either, he banged it around a lot, which I'm sure added to the cat's discomfort. Bloody stupid thing to do, IMO, especially during the afternoon rush hour. Take a taxi, people.

I'm actually surprised the driver let them on, but as it was so busy it's possible that the driver didn't realize the boy was touting a live animal. Only service animals are permitted on our city's public transit buses.

I hope they got her home safe and sound (they got off long before I did) and that she was okay.

Can you imagine either of my boys in a bubble carrier on a bus in rush hour? Both would go berserk. Anyway, I'm still shaking my head over it today.

Oh, hey, we're closing at 12:30 PM today because of the snowfall armageddon we'll be having. Someone wish me luck getting home. And digging out tomorrow!

Peace.

Comments

SuziQCat said…
I hope that cat has enough air in that backpack! Good luck with all your snow...stay warm and give extra snuggles to the boys!
Kea said…
I wondered about air too when I first noticed the backpack, but if you look at the second pic you'll see the mesh on the side of it, as well as the air holes further up (they were on both sides).
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I have seen a video of a cat in an appropriate designed back pack cat container, but if that poor cat was in a normal back pack-- no.Just no! Poor baby.
Kea said…
If you look at it, I think it's an actual carrier. It has mesh air holes on the side, as well as the other air holes up the sides. It's completely new to me, I've never seen one before!
John Bellen said…
Whether she has enough air or not, I can't imagine she was at all happy or comfortable. I could not justify carrying a cat in that fashion, or producing a carrier like that.
Kea said…
Frankly, nor could I. I think my "inside voice" slipped out, because the woman who sat beside me moved to another seat as soon as possible. LOL. I only hope the cat is accustomed to that kind of transportation. One of my co-workers said Ragdolls are very social and laid back and that she might not have been as stressed as I imagined her to be. I hope she's right.
Maebeme said…
I can't imagine anyone carrying a cat like that, whether it has the air holes. It must have been frightened by the busy-ness of the rush hour. Fingers crossed she was home safe and sound shortly thereafter.

Good luck with your commute, and sno-maggeden!
Katie Isabella said…
THAT IS HORRIBLE! I hate that a poor innocent was suffering and being treated terribly and inhumanely. You must have been terribly affected seeing that.
meowmeowmans said…
I've seen ads for those backpacks, and always thought they were a bad idea. Your description after seeing on live and in person just verifies my impression! Sending warm thoughts as you prepare for the snow!
Kea said…
I wanted to say to the people that she (the cat) is a real Being, not a stuffed toy to be carelessly lugged around, but I kept my inside voice inside, at least that much.
Kea said…
I don't think it was "inhumane," it was a real carrier, but it's certainly not the best way to take a pet anywhere, IMO.
Kea said…
Definitely a bad idea, IMO. That can't be comfortable for the cat at all, and to take one a busy bus...sheer stupidity and thoughtlessness, IMO.
Oh, that poor cat! Hope they don't transport him like that very often.
Poppy Q said…
We agree that it looks pretty traumatic for the cat. Miss pops would not be happy. A cat should be in a carrier that it can sit or lie down in.
Kea said…
Agreed! She was pretty squished in there.
I have seen something like that on Amazon. However, seeing your photos makes me fear for that poor feline. I hope it's OK. :(
Keeping my toes crossed that you were able to get home safely for your early closing. This past week is making up for all mild weather we had earlier on.
I can't imagine even if the cat was facing FORWARD she liked the transport
container... :(

anyway; happee heartz day oh lovez frum all oh uz in de land oh trout ♥♥♥♥♥ ☺☺☺
BeadedTail said…
Oh that's sad! I hope the kitty was okay. That hurts my heart.

Hope you and your boys had a Happy Valentines Day!
Katie Isabella said…
I'm very much a cat person. Hope I wasn't "too too".