Play time!

I wanted to end the week on a cheerier note, and post a couple of snapshots of Derry playing.


This was Wednesday evening, above. I had bought some catnip mice, as he normally loves catnip, but I really couldn't interest him in them. "Toy fail, lady!" I imagine he was saying.

However, he still loves his stick! He does a weird thing with his back legs when he gets a-hold of the feathers, and he'll let you know in no uncertain terms that you are NOT to attempt to take it away until he's done with it. The pic below is from last evening.


This morning he was more energetic than he has been, and went out into our (enclosed) garden a couple of times, ran out to roll on the hard ground. He also had a great session with his stick, and with another favourite, a pipe-cleaner I twist and curl up.

Why do I spend money on cat toys???

Nonetheless, I think I'll pop out this weekend to a couple of pet supply stores to look for some presents from "Santa." I can have cardboard scratchers again (Nicki always attacked, chewed and spit out anything cardboard, would leave such a mess), so I'll get one or two, and a new feather wand as well. 

Oh, and this was Derry yesterday evening, after the play session, getting scritches and cuddles.  :-)


I'm at work for a full day today, so I imagine he'll find the time long, but he knows my schedule, after almost 12 full years with me.

Anyway, I'm wishing us--and you--a peaceful, content, uneventful weekend. We could use it.

Peace.

Comments

Linda said…
Good to hear Derry is getting back to his usual self and enjoying his toys. Loss of a friend is hard on animals too.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I swear I think cats are far more pragmatic than we are! Derry is saying let's play and have fun while we can, nothing waits for us, let's PLAY! I think there is a message in there for all of us. Hope you are feeling better.
Kea said…
It is indeed. It'll take a while for us both.
Kea said…
Thanks. I wouldn't say "better." Exhausted in every sense. Fussing too much over Derry, maybe. :-)
Maebeme said…
It isn't surprising that both you and Derry are feeling out of sorts. I'm sure Derry misses his brother too, but I'm sure he's enjoying your one on one time.

Time is the only medicine. I still reach out for Sami at night sometimes but my memories now are mostly sweet.

Have a good weekend!
catladymac said…
We are glad Derry feels a bit like playing again. He probably feels like he needs to get you back to playing a bit too, to try to find your "new normal" together. Purrs.
John Bellen said…
I have toys spread all over the apartment. The cats do play with them occasionally, and that's why I have them. They seem to play most with the plastic rings off of milk jugs. And in the evenings I bring out the string-toy and the show-string and the laser-pointer. I can interest then in those, for a short while.

As you know, the grief over a loss never completely disappears. But we learn to live with it. I was thinking of Parker earlier today. The worst thing about death is remembering just how full of life the living once were. That's when death feels like robbery.
Dearest Kim,
Derry looks at ease so he will no doubt find his way back to cheerfulness with you!
It is now 4 days ago since our Barty got his three shots and he did only eat on the same day. He is drinking however and since my latest invention of making him a safe beddie on our love seat in the veranda (where he always loved to be but what became off limits for all six...) he's happier. Every time I had to go to the bathroom I've gone to see him and he was purring so sweetly, a different deeper purr as usual but nevertheless. Three times he was down on the rug and I carefully lifted him up to put him back on his beddie. He drank water each time from a ramekin that I held up for him and this morning he was even in the adjacent kitchen to drink from his bigger bowl and he ate just a little. Used the litter box as well, just peed in it. What I could not do was go back to the vet and have him put inside a little cage to stay. He would die when he's away from his Mami. He's at ease and who knows? Yesterday morning he wanted outside and I carried him down the front door steps and he walked all the way over the side patio, via the wooden walk way through the garden to the greenhouse and pond area. He lied down on the fall leaves where I had to scoop him up and bring him back in. I was too afraid that he would try to hide some place in order to die. Could not bear that thought! Ants getting him and God knows what else?! Covering the love seat with a mattress cover that can handle liquid... and then the long cotton mat he loved to lounge on in front of our French door in the bedroom. I've also placed my small lap-duvet that I made from the down leftover after altering our European sized twin duvets. A flannel cover is over it and it is all washable! he's now in some sun puddles on it and asleep. He wanted to be near me while I had breakfast so I got my MacBook in order to be near him in the veranda. Love this sweet boy so much and he has been so loving and caring all his life. Wishing you a peaceful Sunday!
Hugs,
Mariette
Annie Bear said…
It does my heart good to see Derry playing. I like that frisky look he has in the second picture with his feather stick. The last picture is so adorable!

I hope Derry is providing some cheer and comfort for you. I know you're deeply sad and missing Nicki but I hope Derry is bringing some happiness.
Katie Isabella said…
I also glad Derry will play. I was worried about him. Love to him and I hope you are feeling less stressed.
Wonderful to hear Derry starting to play once again. It just takes time. Think of you both often. (((hugs)))
The J-Cats said…
Hi, Derry! It is good that you are playing. We know you must be missing Nicki but you and your Mommy need to comfort each other.
Pawpats and kitty kisses to you both.

Trixie, Caspurr and Shimshi
Loss takes time to get trough begining to play again is a good sign
meowmeowmans said…
I'm very glad that Derry is feeling like playing again. Everything in its own time, for the both of you. Hugs and purrs to you both.
The Whiskeratti said…
He does look quite comfortable.
:) Love the photos!
Good to see Derry is having fun!
Poppy Q said…
Poppy gets a bag of temptations for Christmas. She is happy playing with a shoelace or a box, and never plays with toys I buy.
dood.....say it iznt sew...knot burd skin buddy....that mouz rox N yur mat iz epic lee kewl !!! N hay, pleez ta N joy sum out side time for us... thanx !!! :) ♥♥ :)
SuziQCat said…
It is nice seeing Derry playing again. I will miss the wrestling matches though. Everyone needs toys from Santa...it is so fun to shop for them! Hoping they will like the new thing you've picked out!