Catching up on a few things

First and foremost, Derry's blood work results (from last week) came back great, such a relief!


He still seems sad and lonesome to me, but then, so I am. I hope Nicki's energy is around, looking out for his "brother."

***

As for other things, I survived yesterday's office holiday lunch at the university's conference centre. It was combined with another office, so a large group, and I ended up sitting with two of my co-workers, but also with two of the top people in the administration. They're quite pleasant, but I was distinctly uncomfortable, and a co-worker and I made a "French exit" after we finished eating (i.e. left without saying anything and went back to the office). I'm a social introvert, and I don't know how to explain it, but when I have to be in a group of more than a few people, I feel trapped and rather like I want to crawl out of my skin. Maybe that's some sort of anxiety? I don't know, I don't need to label it. I was just happy to get away and into the fresh air, walk back to the main campus.



Part of the conference centre is housed in a lovely old building, and it's been beautifully decorated for the holidays, as a couple of the snapshots above indicate. Every room had decorations, and there were multiple trees. So pretty! The decorations and the amazing food were the best parts of the event.

***

On Sunday afternoon the founder of a local feral cat rescue group came to pick up the canned food I had for donation. I wasn't interested in trying to sell it or take it back to the stores, I preferred to "pay it forward" and have it all put to good use. There were many dozens of cans and I'm sure at least a few hundred dollars' worth, but her appreciation made the donation worthwhile. She said they were running low on food and almost were at the point of having to dip into the vet fund, so I was glad to be able to help out. A bit of good done, in honour of Nicki.



***

Oh, I came home on Sunday after a run to Value Village (half price!) and saw that one of the trees behind my fence had been uprooted. I guess it couldn't withstand the latest high winds.



I emailed our property manager to let him know, sent a pic, but removal might be something that has to wait for the spring. The branches are in the way of one parking spot, though, so maybe he'll actually get this taken care of sooner than later. (The property management company is well known around town to be the worst, and it's always a struggle to get anything done. Never mind that it's rare to get anything done properly!)

***

I found the two Willow Tree figurines, below, on Amazon, had ordered them a couple of weeks ago. the images are from Amazon's web site; mine are still in their boxes, under my little tree. 



I already have the one with the angel holding the cat in her arms, I got it after Annie's death almost 9 years ago now, and I will add these two after Christmas. They bring me comfort; I'd like to think that "angels" surround my fur babies and are holding them close.

***

I'll wind things up with a pic of the tree at the vet clinic, and of a couple of the cute ornaments. I especially like the saddle.



 
The clinic serves both small and large animals, and I think many or most of the staff live out of the city, have land and various animals, so all the ornaments were rustic and farm-related. Very sweet.

***

Finally, a cute graphic from Pinterest (with apologies if I've posted this before). I hope you're reading this, Santa!  :-)


Peace.

Comments

SuziQCat said…
So thankful that Derry's bloodwork was all normal. At least your holiday party is over now!! Love the Willow Tree figurines, I have a few in remembrance of my boys as well. At least the tree fell away from your fence! Good luck getting it fixed.
Dearest Kim,
Hardly can believe that you're a social introvert as your writing is EXCELLENT! I've always said that either speaking (using your tongue) or writing (using your hand(s) are ONE and the same. It is expressing your thoughts, from the heart... So please lay that unnecessary fear for mingling with other imperfect beings aside... We ALL aim at doing the best we can and none is better or worse.
The Christmas decorations at the Conference Center and at the Vet's Clinique look all very nice.
Derry does have a very expressive face! He speaks to me at least, he's definitely in pain and he IS grieving over his lost brother. He is an intelligent looking, deep thinker and very affectionate. With time (my Barty grieved hard for 3 months when he lost his Spooky brother) he will mellow down and let go of that heavy burden. Pieter viewed one of my digitalized videos where Spooky and Barty put arms (yes, that's what I always call them!) around each other... so sweet and so touching and it makes you MISS their absence so hard. Especially during these dreary, dark and here rainy days...
But it makes also a good season for healing a wounded soul, for tending to its scars and for looking forward to better times ahead.
Big hugs to you and Barty sweetly is on my lap and resting on my left arm as I read and type here now... We do things together!
Mariette
Kea said…
Most introverts do better in writing than in speaking. :-)

Making small talk is the worst thing to ask an introvert to do. We'd much rather have a sincere and deep conversation with someone, about things that really matter. That's easy, have that kind of soul talk. Idle social chit chat is awful.

As for Derry, no doubt it will take him time. They were not bonded as real brothers might be, but Derry's never been an only cat, so absolutely it's a huge adjustment. I have to disagree on intelligent, though. LOL. Derry gets by on his sweet face, he's not the brightest bulb in the socket. :-D

Kea said…
The tree isn't in my way at all, so it doesn't matter how long it takes the property manager to get someone to remove it. It's in someone else's way, though! (Whoever parks their car by all the branches!)
John Bellen said…
That is very good news regarding Derry. I am sure he misses his brother, and wonders where he has gone. It’s no wonder he has been extra cuddly lately.

I have to endure the office Christmas party here, too. We get free food; on the other hand, there is an ‘ugly sweater’ contest, which necessitated me buying a sweater. The cost of the sweater will not be covered by the amount I will be allowed to eat, so I will have a net loss on the event. Plus, I don’t want to be there. I don’t dislike the people, I merely have no interest in them.

The decorations look very nice. I always like the idea of foldable doors. They make a place look grand, I think. I have my tree up but not yet decorated. I want to see how much of a toy Neville thinks it is first…

I have no doubt that angels comforted Nicki, as they did Annie and Chumley. I can only hope they tell Tungsten, Bear-Bear and Parker when I come if I have the good luck to join them some day.
Kea said…
Interestingly, Derry isn't sleeping beside me at night anymore. He did come up for cuddles just before 4 AM today, but he's been sleeping downstairs on the ottoman lately. I don't know if it's because he's getting all the attention now, whereas when Nicki was with us, Derry's time with me was nighttime (since my daytime was mostly taken up with Nick).

I'd have gone to a thrift store to look for an ugly sweater, John! That way you wouldn't be out more than a few dollars.

Frankly, I'm hoping all my beloved four-leggeds will be *there* waiting for me, when my time to pass comes. I'll be sorely disappointed if not!
Well, as for small talk or just meaningless 'fluff'... what is all over social media too, I hate that too. Hate to listen to it, meaning wasting my time on it.
Poor Derry for being judged that way - that is NOT fair.
Not every creature can share its inner feelings the same way or express thoughts. We just never know what lies deep within!
Talking about being introvert and SHY, I have been very much so. But having to do seminars in seven languages, all over the world sure did cure me! Look at me back then: https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2011/02/30-years-ago-in-my-rose-sweater.html
Kea said…
No disrespect to Derry, Mariette, I love him to bits. Of course he has emotional intelligence and capacity as we all do. I just meant that he's not clever like Nicki was -- you could see the wheels turning in Nicki's head as he would look at something and figure out how to open it, how to get up on it, get into it, etc. He was too smart for his own good, and I had to rescue him more than once from something he ended up stuck in. :-)

Your sweater was lovely! Too bad it's long gone, I can only imagine the work!
catladymac said…
Purrs to you and Derry as you enter this season missing Nicki.
Katie Isabella said…
OH Derry, how I wish I could fold MY arms around you and give you love too. I know you're getting your love from your mom, but I have always been very very fond of the two of you.

I am guessing that within a few months Derry will be upstairs sleeping with you again. This is his time of change and he still wonders where Nicki is. I enjoyed reading both yours and John's thoughts on office parties. I didn't like them, I never have. But when it comes to just plain people in any setting other than a party, I'm your girl. I have a sense of humor...I like people and I can small talk as well as meaningful convos. But, I was a supervisor most of my career and I developed a work persona that I have to this minute that bails me out when in a party situation but French exit...that's my middle name. I can do it when I have to, but I don't care to do the office party thing. Too much of an opportunity to say the wrong thing to the wrong person. Office politics if you will, are pervasive in these situations. My goodness, I'm writing a blog here! Love to Derry. Hugs to you.
Maebeme said…
So glad to hear that Derry's bloodwork came back clear. You've had enough to deal with. I'm sure he is lonely and he probably misses the tussles. I know that when Sami passed, Saku took it harder than I thought he would as the two had never really gotten along. But he took to wetting in places he not to have - I think he was afraid I'd take him away in the carrier not so much that he missed Sami. So good of you to donate the extra food - I'm sure it was much appreciated!

As for the social anxiety, I think most people have more or less of that. I'm not comfortable in a group that I don't know well most times. Part of that is due to my hearing, as I can't understand a lot of what is being said when there is a large group. Part of it, too, is due to feeling that others might be judging me. Those feelings have lessened as I've gotten older - if they are judging me, that's their problem, not mine. But work events were never my cup of tea....I had to spend 8-10 hours a day with them, for the most part I didn't feel like I wanted to spend "my" time with them after work.

Love the little ornaments! They are a lovely reminder of the cats you love so much.
The Whiskeratti said…
I'm also an introvert and social occasions are painful. I even took PTO this year to avoid the department Christmas party at work, I just couldn't face it this season. So I totally get it. More than two people and I shut down.

I'm glad Derry's results were good. I know he is feeling the loss, as you are, and it will take time, sadly.
Good to hear that Derry's bloodwork was good.
Now you can relax and enjoy the festive season(as much as you can while missing Nicki)
Mum has both of those figurines and a little box with a girl holding (hugging) her cat.
I keep some clippings of my Tillie in there. I still miss her.
Hoping you enjoy a Merry Christmas.

Purrs,Georgia and Julie
and Nancy
BeadedTail said…
So happy to hear that Derry's results were good! I know that animals mourn and it'll take time for Derry to get over the loss of his brother. Sending you both hugs and purrs.

The place where the party was is lovely! I'm an introvert so I understand not being comfortable at parties. I went to two for my husband's work this year and one was a brunch and one was at night in one of the nicest venues in town. I was uncomfortable at the brunch but loved the other one because I got to dress up! I don't do that often so it was fun. Plus it was much more relaxed as it was a smaller group.

Those figurines are sweet. It was nice of you to donate the food too. Nicki would be happy the food is going to other kitties.
The J-Cats said…
We are so relieved that Derry's blood tests came back normal. Poor baby, of course he misses his brofur and doesn't understand where he has gone.
The Chrissymouse trees are furry beautiful. So are the Willow Tree ornaments. Mummy has one which She received as a gift from a choir which hosted her choir in Germany years ago. It's a girl holding a lamb.
We wish you a Merry Chrissymouse. Nicki is surely watching from the Bridge and wants you to be happy.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I'm so happy that Derry's blood work came back with positive results. That is wonderful. It was wonderful you were able to help out kitties in need with the food donation. So glad that tree that fell isn't in your way and it will eventually be taken care of. Wow what a mess. Love the festive ornaments and the lovely figurines of the angel holding the cat. Hoping that as each goes by a little of the sadness is lifted for both you and Derry.
I am not very social I just never know what to say to people
meowmeowmans said…
Thank goodness that Derry's bloodwork came back good! That's wonderful, Kim. I'm sure he is mourning, just as you are, but I am positive that Nicki is watching over you both. Thank you for paying it forward with all that food. The feral rescue folks are always on a shoestring budget. What a godsend, and in Nicky's honor. LOVE. :)

I hear you about social introversion. I can fake it really well, but it exhausts me sometimes to be in big groups!

Hugs to you, and scritches to Derry
Annie Bear said…
Hi, Kim. I want to wish you a merry Christmas. I'm so glad Derry's bloodwork results were great. That is something I always love to hear. Although the social event was painful, it sure was held in a pretty place. I don't care for those kinds of things either unless I'm with people I really enjoy being with. I like the "French exit." That is wonderful about the cat food donation and her response!
Certain social functions make me feel as if I'm wearing an itchy sweater.... :)
I'm thankful to hear that Derry's test results were good!
I have several Willow tree angels, as well. They are lovely.
The tree at your vet's office is sweet.
Wishing you and Derry and peaceful Christmas season.