Up and down...

It's up and down here, as we continue to try to settle into a new routine. Every now and again I have a sob session in my cubicle, or on the bus, or in a store; I don't have control over when that happens, and while I do try to be discreet, I frankly don't care if anyone notices. Actually, people don't really look at each other anyway. Or care, if they do.


It was bitterly cold on the weekend, with a snowstorm on Sunday afternoon/evening. (Some of you in Canada might have heard about the 30+ car pileup on highway 401 in our city on Sunday afternoon, with one fatality and a few still in critical condition.) Derry spent much of the weekend doing a face-plant into the cosy blanket on the couch. 


I made a batch of chili on Sunday, not vegetarian, but with added zucchini, fresh mushrooms and green onion for extra flavour. Yeah, once in a while I do cook easy stuff.  :-D

Below, the view on campus on Monday morning. We got 13 cm of snow all told.



I hope we get another warm-up to get rid of it.

I ended up doing some online shopping for Derry over the weekend: toys, a tunnel, scratchers, a sisal mat...just don't tell him and ruin the surprise.  :-)

He's a hard one to persuade to play, though. He loves his feathered stick, and the red dot too, but my goodness, he has the patience of Job. He can sit and watch me endlessly, and feign enough interest that I keep trying to get him to move. LOL. He needs to move, he's so obese!


Yeah, that's not quite cutting it, Derry. (Above, snapped this morning.)

Anyway, I'm counting down the remaining work days till our Christmas break. That's the bonus of working at a university--being closed between Christmas and New Year's. It's only 8 days this year (including the weekend), one of the shortest breaks we get because both holidays fall on Wednesdays, but I'll take it with gratitude. I haven't any plans, will just take the days as they come and hope for a peaceful, uneventful holiday.

I'll leave you with a couple of cute Pinterest cartoons. Everyone take care and have a good week.



Peace.

Comments

I can remember crying in the grocery store, because I made the mistake of turning down
the dog food aisle, out of habit, when we had our second bulldog put to sleep..it's OK to cry...
gets it outta ya.

the chili looks great and I hope those hospitalized will be ok :(

and while I can't stand the stuff; the second snow picture IS awesome...

derry; dood.....ya got de rite eye dea ....two cold for out doorz tho we gotta ask ...BURD SKIN toyz buddy......seer ee iz lee ~~~~~~~~~ ;)
♥♥


Kea said…
I know...but it's only the wand with feathers, not the other feathered toys. Go figure. I wish he'd amuse himself with some of the MANY other cat toys lying around, because it would free up some time for me to do, oh, laundry, other chores. LOL.

I'm still waiting on Nicki's ashes and paw print (it's the paw print that's taking so long to be fired, glazed, painted, whatever), but I thought I might put his favourite toy mouse beside the urn, when I finally get it. Every now and again I'd hear him yeowling in the night and I knew he was carrying it around, doing...whatever it was he did with it. Happy memory. :-)
Maebeme said…
It's amazing sometimes what can trigger those feelings of emotions. As de tabbies has said, go ahead and let them out.

Derry sounds like Saku. When he wants to play AND I have the right toy, all is good otherwise he just watches me make a fool of myself.

I'm so grateful we haven't had the huge dump of snow you got. We get 3-4 inches max - that's quite enough! It's sad people don't drive appropriately during the nasty weather, or better still stay off the highways.

Take care!
Dearest Kim,
It is important that you let your emotions go freely, it doesn't help for keeping it all in and pretending.
You have the right attitude about other people.
It is wonderful having some time off to look forward to and it will be here rather soon!
Time is flying, not so much when your kitty is sick but yes, it does. Barty just ate some more supper and that makes us both happy.
Hugs,
Mariette
Katie Isabella said…
as I will when Katie goes to the Bridge. I didn't know Nicki was also an announcer and broadcaster when he carried his toy family around. Loved reading that. I never fail to smile when I hear it even if I just dropped off. They are dear loves. MY Admiral's paw print, for which I was deeply grateful, was unadorned and just gray matter that they pressed her little foot into.
Katie Isabella said…
People do care actually. If I ever see, and sometimes I have someone not doing well, I will always stop and offer my help if possible. Others sometimes don't, but there are still enough loving people to reach out when you need them. Tears happen and as the other mom's have said...we have to let them happen. After all, our little ones are a vital loving part of the family.
Hugs
meowmeowmans said…
As others have said, Kim, there's certainly nothing wrong with letting those emotions flow as they come. For so long after both Moosey and Zoe passed away, I would be overwhelmed with sadness, sometimes at the most inopportune times. Oh well, right?

Hugs to you and Derry. I hope you manage to stay warm, and that Derry decides to do some playing. :)

XO
Oh, Kim, we know how hard it is. Just give into a good cry when it hits. (((HUGS)))

Think Derry has too many comfy spots to snooze to get him motivated to play. MOL!
SuziQCat said…
It is hard to find that new normal and it takes time. The days off around the holiday will be nice for both you and Derry. I know I am looking forward to it as well! Hugs to you and Derry!
Keeping things bottled up is never good,unless we are talking skunk stink
Rian said…
I had to laugh when you said Derry had the patience of Job...
I’m thinking he’s helping you play... not the other way around.
CWMartin said…
Just stumbled in here, but I know what you mean. Never a day goes by... I'll be praying for you.
BeadedTail said…
I can understand the emotions and I didn't care if others saw me either. The tears just have to come when the feeling hits and there's nothing wrong with that.

Derry is adorable when he sleeps. Your chili looks delicious! I kinda look forward to colder weather simply because it means chili weather!
Kea said…
Thank you for stopping by and for commenting. All the best.
John Bellen said…
We have been having warmth and cold alternately here for a couple of months. I sometimes wish it would just stay one or the other, but seeing the snow disappear after a blizzard isn’t bad. It’s like having meteorological malaria, though.

My cats are tough to motivate with play. Raleigh loves it, Neville is into it. Tucker, rent and Josie will indulge me sometimes but it is hardly exercise: they lie on the floor and wait for the toy to come to them…

I think it is sometimes sadder when pets die than humans. It’s not that they matter more, but I find it very sad that animals die and most of the time they don’t understand what is happening. Or perhaps they do, and better than we.
Kea said…
A co-worker, who has lost many, many dogs and cats (including her heart dog and cat), said to me last week that animals (i.e. non-humans) know how to die on their own far better than we do. That's true enough, though we've taken our companion animals out of Nature to a large degree and given them different lives. However, given that we have the ability to be merciful, I never would watch another animal die by inches as I feel I did with Annie, not being able to acknowledge how sick she was or that there was no hope. It's probably a blessing that non-humans don't have quite the same thought processes that we do.
The Whiskeratti said…
I understand how you feel, and there is no substitute for time's healing.. as much as it will, anyway. PS: I promise not to tell Derry what you bought him.
Timmy Tomcat said…
The tears really help to get the emotions out so let go. There will always be a memory in your heart and it will change from a deep pain of loss to a quiet memory full of love. It takes too long but that is what shows the depth of our connection. Spoil Derry