Remembering Chumley


Chumley passed 13 years ago tonight, from a blood clot. I wrote a tribute to him 18 months later (it took me that long to be emotionally ready to do so), and for anyone who hasn't actually read it and wants to, you'll find it on the page "In Memory of Chumley."

So I won't repeat myself here, will just leave you with a few pics of my handsome boy, whose life was cut short. To this day I wish I could have a do-over with him, because I knew nothing about cats at the time and made so many mistakes; nonetheless, he was ever the gentleman and ever forgiving.




God bless, Chum-Bum; I love you.

Comments

Sweet pictures of a dear kitty.
HUgs and purrs for you as you remember this sweet boy.
Purrs,Georgia and Julie
Poppy Q said…
What a sweetie. Don't have any regrets. You did the best that you knew how and you loved him dearly - that is enough.

Hugs.
Julie and Poppy Q
xxx
Rian said…
Kim, I read your tribute to Chumley... and I can see your bond in that face (3rd pic). Isn't it unbelievable how the love stays with us.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
He was such a handsome boy. We all do the same thing to ourselves when I am sure our cats would say 'human let it go, you did the best for me, you gave me all the love a cat could ever want', but our human brains can't accept that. We just want them back. He was a special one and he would want you to know he knew that. Be gentle with yourself.
Dearest Kim,
That second photo makes you fully understand his look for having not home with him, as you wrote in your Memory of Chumley. Yes, like he is looking straight through you, deep into your soul! In my humble opinion, cats do have that very special 6th sense, they can read us, peak into our soul far better than humans can. Yes, it makes us feel guilty for not having been able to fully understand them and rescuing their life, or at least extending it! That's why I slept on the floor next to my Barty when he was so sick. Not wanting to relive the pain of losing our Spooky I due to Heartworm at the age of 3.5. How I've sobbed about him! We humans fail them as we don't have that 6th sense... Guess that is the very reason the Egyptians even 'worshiped' them way back, they thought they were Gods and they had them mummified with their owner. Breaks my heart to think about that! But it does underline the fine bond there was and the respect and love, way back! But they never can tell us their story if you did not adopt them as a kitten. What abuse have they lived through?! There are lots of cruel humans and we should not punish us for that as we cannot know... I've often said that all animals live through emotions and medical issues, just like humans do! Only fully understanding them is hard, even a well trained veterinarian is doing lots of guessing. But no doubt you Chumley has known LOVE! You did not put him on a diet for 'less' love... Just keep them in your heart!
Hugs,
Mariette
K; you could live 100 life times and still never know everything that's needed to know; as with personalities, all things are different with medical issues; even if the "symptoms" are the same

chumley is a handsome dood, he reminds me of dai$y

he knows you did your best, he knows he was loved, and that's all that really matters ~~~ ♥♥♥
The Island Cats said…
Even 13 years later, the pain of losing a special kitty can be so intense. Sending you many purrs this day as you remember Chumley.
Maebeme said…
Chumley was such a handsome boy, and obviously holds a very special place in your heart. My hope is that the memories are now more sweet than painful. (((Hugs)))
Katie Isabella said…
Oh Chumley was a perfect mancat...so very handsome and oh...he really knew love, Kim. I love what Mariette said above, and it echoes what I was going to say. And the Tabbies said another perfect thing about love. I am convinced that Chumley and all of our deeply loved fur babies DO know how much they are loved, and that we would do anything we can to help them when they are ill. My babies all had to suffer somewhat in one way or another because of my lack of knowledge. Looking back there are so many things I would do differently. I take each round of lessons learned with so many tears, and try to not make the same errors with my next cat. Thank you for letting us share with his and you today.
Katie Isabella said…
I just read your tribute to him. I knew you with Annie and Nicki and Derry. I regret that I never met Chumey. However, I feel every iota of love you have for him. Have for him even now... not had.
What a privilege to read.
catladymac said…
Purrayers for your memories of sweet Chumley. If you have cared for cats for years, you will have stories like Chumley's.
Annie Bear said…
You loved Chum-Bum. That is the most important. I love these pictures of him. What a gorgeous guy! Please don't have regrets about things that you just didn't know. I definitely understand, though, and I feel like I'm constantly learning.
Hugs to you.
meowmeowmans said…
Chumley was such a handsome dude. The most important thing is that you loved him with all of your heart, Kim. And surely, he knew that, and love you right back. Hugs and all good thoughts as you remember your special boy.
John Bellen said…
I'm sorry I missed this entry. Chumley looked like he could have gone from cuddly to mischeivous in half a second. I feel about Tungsten as you do about Chumley. They were our unwilling experiments, and all the cats who came after benefitted from what those first two taught us. But, as you write, Chumley was a gentleman and forgiving. Cats are like that, thank goodness. It's good to see you again, Chumley.
The J-Cats said…
Chumley was gone before We met you, but Mummy remembers you mentioning him when her own Pixie, and later - Possum - got sick and eventually joined him. Chumley reminds her so much of Possum. They even looked similar. That last picture made her heart miss a beat, the likeness was so strong. Her heart is with you on this day and We, too, send you purrs of comfort as you remember your angel boy. We know he is waiting for you and you will be together again, one day.
Timmy Tomcat said…
Thanks so much for sharing Chumley with us. We wish we had photos of our distant Angels but Dad did not take many until he finally got digital only like 12 or 13 years ago. Goodness that seems like a flash but we remember our special friends who we will meet again with it is our time. Watch over us Chumley and we will meet some day