There might have been a piece of smooshed coconut cream pie involved

Smooshed, and with a bite already taken (by me, of course).


This is why my weight is trending in the wrong direction. :-P

But it was good, even smooshed!

****

Today (April 10) is my birthday, hence the sweet treat. It was proceeded by a quarter chicken leg and garlic green beans from Swiss Chalet, via the Door Dash delivery app. Worth the expense on a special occasion.

It was a strange day, really. Typically I would take the day off work, though this year it's a holiday, being Good Friday. And typically I would take myself off to window shop, have a treat from a cafĂ©, and pick up a slice of something yummy from a good bakery. 

Not this year of course, and I think anyone who has a birthday (or anniversary or other special occasion) should choose a day in another month, when things are back to semi-normal, and have a re-do. I've decided I'm going to do just that, though it appears it won't be for some months yet. I only hope I can have that re-do before next April!

****

I did get myself out for an hour's walk early this morning, in the wet snow and wind. Fun. (Sarcasm) I'd wanted to go to my nearest bank to use the machine, and it's a 30-minute walk each way, not bad at all, though much better in sunny, warm weather.

There was a homeless man, with only a thin blanket, curled up in the corner of the bank's outer "lobby" where the machines are. He didn't stir the entire time I was there.

Regardless of the challenges in all our lives right now, if we have a place in which we can hunker down and self-isolate safely, with the necessities of life met and at least some degree of comfort, we're pretty darned lucky.

****

This is how Derry celebrated on my behalf:


He did get and give lots of cuddles through the day, though, in between phone calls from family and friends.  :-)

So it was a strange day, but a good day. 

I'll end now and post a cute cartoon from my Pinterest feed, just for a smile at this time. Everyone keep well, stay safe.

 Peace.

Comments

Annie Bear said…
Happy birthday, Kim! It sounds like you made the best of it in this strange time. Derry cuddles sound pretty nice. I love that cartoon!
The Whiskeratti said…
Happy birthday! I wish it had happened during a better time. Hug your kitteh, it's the answer right now.
Rian said…
Happy Birthday Kim! I'm glad you enjoyed your smooshed coconut cream pie! Our daughter and SIL's 20th Anniversary and her 50th birthday are all falling within this shelter at home time. She also ordered their dinner from a restaurant and celebrated at home. Strange times. Do continue to stay home and stay safe.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Oh a very happy birthday (late) but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Dearest Kim,
Happy belated Birthday!
Indeed we all live through strange days that otherwise make highlights in our daily life.
But I love your observation about how darn lucky we all are compared to so many others...
Every morning before breakfast I pray for being grateful that we had a warm bed and a roof for shelter...
Derry made the BEST out of the day and one wonders often if they somehow sense the special emotions of certain days by the phone-voices they hear?! Guess they do know through their 6th sense. I'm happy if all six babies are in their spots asleep and safe, sheltered from the dangers of life.
Big hugs and enjoy a Happy Easter in spirit!
Mariette
Maebeme said…
Happy belated birthday Kim!

My "me" day was postponed too this year (since I no longer have birthdays), and I like your idea of choosing another day in the future to celebrate. The pie looks delicious! As for Derry, he looks about as excited as my two. :)

Take care and stay well!
catladymac said…
Happy belated purrthday @ And many more ! Snuggle up with Derry !
Katie Isabella said…
Happy Birthday my friend!!! And I hope to goodness you are all of that pie That happens to be a favorite flavor of mine!
meowmeowmans said…
Happy belated birthday, Kim! This is a strange time, indeed, but I am glad you were able to enjoy something special for your special day. What a great idea to celebrate at a later time. Hugs for you, and scritches for Derry. :)
John Bellen said…
I apologise for missing your birthday; that comes of not reading blogs every day. I'm glad it was a good day, with Derry showing how much he thinks birthdays should be different than other days...
SuziQCat said…
Happy Belated Birthday! I'm glad you had a nice day, even if the weather didn't cooperate. Here's to many more birthdays!
Poppy Q said…
Happy Birthday Kim. Glad you enjoyed your pie and I hope you get to enjoy many more this year.
Happy belated birthday Kim! That smooshed piece of pie looks amazing. I'm guessing it tasted even better because it was smooshed :) The treat from Swiss Chalet sounds so good.
Derry really helped you celebrate as well! Good boy. He looks so comfy.
Happy belated birthday, Kim! So sorry I missed it. Just can't seem to get motivated blogging or reading blogs right now.