Loose Lips

 (Note: I've posted this on Instagram as well, to cover all the bases.)

I snapped this pic of Derry Sunday afternoon. I noticed that he had a swollen inner lower lip that was protruding much of the time. There does not appear to be a sore or abrasion of any kind, not that I can see.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and can provide suggestions as to the cause.

I did send this pic off to the vet yesterday, asking if he knew what was wrong and if Derry should come in or if he needed meds of some sort. The vet replied stating that it looked like normal tissue to him and that if it was swollen he couldn't think what would have caused it. He's happy to see Derry, of course, and if I have to take my little one in I will--but I'd rather not have to take him there for a fourth appointment in such a short time.

I have never used plastic food or water dishes, I have not changed food or treat brands. I thought at first that he must have been stung or bitten by a bug in the garden, but I'm not sure the swelling would remain two days after the fact. The only things that were "different" on Sunday were that I gave Derry a few tiny bites of my salmon (and did yesterday too, with the leftovers) and I cut some foliage back in the garden space.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? It doesn't seem to be bothering him (he's not pawing at his mouth) and it's not impeding his eating. At the moment I'm keeping my eye on it and hoping against hope that the swelling will reduce without intervention.

Comments

tuna had a swollen lower lip from a spider bite a few years ago. I don't know if he
attempted to eat the spider, or if he was sleeping and the D thing just bit him. it lasted
about a week but like derry, it didn't cause him to stop eating or drinking. knock wood
he doesn't need a vet visit ♥♥♥
Kea said…
Thanks. I'm glad Derry's not the only one. It DOES seem to me that he got bitten or stung, he's always nosing around in the garden and might have gotten into something after I cut down the foliage. I always panic, of course, but am trying to let nature heal (unless it gets worse, of course).
John Bellen said…
It may be a case of eosinophilic granuloma, which is caused by either an allergic reaction or a parasite, probably the former. Has Derry had salmon previously? It may be that he contacted something in the garden, after the vegetation was cut back. If it is eosinophilic granuloma, then it doesn’t seem to be serious, from what I’ve read, and can be cured with some anti-inflammatory drugs. However, if it is not causing the little guy discomfort, then I probably would leave it alone; as you write, he’s been to the vet often enough lately. (You may recall my Cammie’s bumps on the side of her head. Veterinaries thought it was an allergy (as did I) but the bumps were harmless, coming and going without Cammie ever noticing. It may be that Derry has something similar.)

But what the Tabbies write makes sense, too. A simple bite - a reminder of a battle with someone smaller but just as tough - could be the cause. None of mine have had similar wounds, but I know of cats who have.
Kea said…
It's not presenting as what I read yesterday about eosinophilic granuloma:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/feline-eosinophilic-granuloma-complex-in-cats

At this time (and I stress that), the tissue looks perfectly normal, just swollen. But if it's still the same by tomorrow afternoon or perhaps Thursday morning, I'll make an appointment to have him checked out. *Sigh*
Kea said…
I know, he's been through enough lately.
Maebeme said…
Poor boy! I suspect a bug bite or allergy too, though I've not seen anything like that with my cats. Hopefully it resolves itself before another vet visit.
catladymac said…
He could even have poked himself on the "stump" of a weed you cut down. Sounds like you are keeping a good eye on him, and if it isn't swelling more that is a good thing/ Sending purrayers and POTP>
meowmeowmans said…
Poor Derry! We're thinking maybe a bug bite. Does he act as though it bothers him?
Dearest Kim,
On March 7, 2008 our late Sacha girl was diagnosed with having Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex, an immune disorder. She had a swollen lip and the vet suggested to feed her only from an earthenware bowl. Never seen any other kitty having that problem. It went away rather quickly though.
Let's hope that Derry does not need any more trips to the vet. He might be stressed too.
Big hugs!
Mariette and kitties
Kea said…
I'm keeping a close eye on it, thought it looked less swollen this morning. Or maybe that was wishful thinking!
Kea said…
I hadn't thought of that, but he might have poked himself. It seemed to be a bit less swollen this morning....or so I thought when I looked. (He's never liked anyone looking into his mouth, he fights it on any day.)
Kea said…
I don't think so. That's usually on the chin and from plastic dishes, most typically. I think it has black dots (the acne) and there's nothing like that.
Kea said…
He certainly doesn't need anything else amiss right now! I'm keeping an eye on it.
Kea said…
He hasn't shown any indication that it's bothering him. He's been eating and playing normally, though yesterday he sneezed a couple of times and sneezed again this morning. Allergies? Virus flare-up? I'm giving him something in case it's viral.
Kea said…
Earthenware! Very interesting! I feed off glass and ceramic bowls and plates, have done for years. I'm not seeing signs of anything that looks like a lesion, and it *seemed* that the swelling was a bit less when I looked this morning. I was going to call first thing this AM and make an appointment, but I think now that I'll keep my eye on it for the day and see how things go. I don't want to add undue stress, he already hates my constant peeking at his mouth (or trying to, he's never liked anyone prying his mouth open at any time and will struggle).
SuziQCat said…
My friend has a cat that either gets swollen lips, like Derry, or the pads on his paws swell. The only thing her vet can think is eosinophilic granuloma. Her cat licks his paws until they have sores, when he flairs up. It is usually when he is stressed. They treat him with steroids and sometimes an antibiotic injection if he has been messing with it for a while. Good luck!!
I hope Derry is doing OK. Keep us posted. ♥
Timmy Tomcat said…
I would say it is one of those cat things that you either get them to the vet in a day and it is "dont know" or wait a few weeks and it is gone. We have had more than a few of what Dad calls "$200 tummy aches." He no longer runs us to the vet and we always eat after a day or so. If not better in some time then we get checked out
dood....iz ya doin better ? we hope :) ♥♥
The J-Cats said…
We see on your latest post that your lip is better now, Derry - or almost. We are glad to hear it. We suppose the cause will just remain a mystery - like the identity of the wretched critter that stung your Mom on the leg.
Be well, both of you.
The J-Cats said…
We see on your latest post that your lip is better now, Derry - or almost. We are glad to hear it. We suppose the cause will just remain a mystery - like the identity of the wretched critter that stung your Mom on the leg.
Be well, both of you.