Miscellaneous Musings

We're still here and, I think, holding our own.

Derry was enjoying the sunshine one afternoon last week.

Work is scattered right now, at least for me. I'm juggling a few things, and one big university-wide project we're a part of is coming to an end soon. But it will be a last-minute scramble for me during the week of November 30th. Still, I'm off Mondays now through the end of the work year, to use up vacation days I can't carry over, and our Christmas break will be here in another 5 weeks or so. Yay!

This morning's best cell phone snapshot down at the swamp, below. It was chilly! So cold that the water was partially frozen, but with no wind it still was lovely.

I've spent the past couple of weekends busing and taxiing all over the city, stocking up on everything I could possibly need in terms of household goods for the next, oh, two or three years, plus picking up some needed items for the holidays. All that just in case we end up in another lock-down before the holidays or at any point during the winter.

I realized, a few days ago, that while I don't hoard personal possessions, I actually do hoard household goods. My unfinished basement is filled. Cupboards are filled, just about every nook and cranny upstairs is filled with tp, pt, cleaning supplies, drugstore items and so on. You could shop at my house, and I'm quite serious. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, though I suspect it has to do with potential tighter restrictions, as mentioned, and also the thought that I need to buy necessities while I have the money to do so, just in case something happens. Anyway, someone needs to say enough is enough! LOL. 

I got all my holiday decorating done last weekend too. Mind you, I don't put lights up outside anymore because well, what goes up must come down. And I simply don't have the motivation to get up on a stepladder and do it all by myself anymore. So I picked up the winter pot, above, at Home Depot, put a wreath on my door and called it a day.

Inside my house is a different matter, though, as I have all my strings of warm white lights up now, I have my floral displays out (thanks to Michael's end-of-season clearance sales every year), my little 2-foot tree is up and a few other things are out, such as this cute wreath, below, on the inside of my front door.

I'm not into burlap, but the cat made it and I couldn't pass it up. Also from Michael's several weeks ago, when they were having 50% off their Christmas decor.

So life still is pretty confined with working from home until...whenever. Post-vaccine, I imagine. I'm glad, though, not to have to slog out in the snow and ice to and from work this coming winter. Being inside and cosy, with a pot of homemade soup on the stove and fresh biscuits in the oven is one of life's joys, at least to  me.

So is this little guy, though not when he's giving me the what-for when I'm not moving fast enough to feed him!

Yes, I brought out his holiday tent, put the other one away for the time being.

Anyway, soon it will be the first anniversary of Nicki's passing (Nov 23). Hard to believe how quickly a year goes by. I think of him every day, of course, dream about him occasionally. Sometimes I'm tempted to adopt again, because I think Derry would like the company of a nice cat, but I can't adopt for Derry's sake, not when my heart isn't in it at the moment.

Nicki from January 2013, below. Those ears! LOL.

I'll leave you with a few graphics from my Pinterest feed.


Another one I like:

We humans are so busy trying to hold onto people and our fur babies, to our things, that we often forget everything is transient, including ourselves.

And one for a smile:

Take care, everyone. Stay safe and well. We'll get through this! Peace.

Comments

meowmeowmans said…
I love that first photo of Derry. It can be cold outside, but you can still luxuriate in a sunpuddle inside. I also loved seeing Nicki, and am sending you all good thoughts as you remember him, especially on 11/23.

Work sounds crazy for you, and I can relate. I'm happy you're taking some time off each week - three day weekends are the best. As for stocking up on stuff, we actually started doing so a while back ourselves with stuff like TP and PT and canned goods. The numbers and trajectory just don't look good heading into winter. But you are right ... we will get through this!

We're setting up our Christmas stuff this weekend. Yay!

Hugs to you, and scritches to Derry!
catladymac said…
Good to hear from you again. Purrs to you and Derry,
Saku said…
Oh Nicki, he was such a sweetheart if a bit of an imp at times. I'm glad Derry is there with you - he's such a handsome boy and looks like he'd be great for a cuddle.

Nice to have the extra day off for the weekend. Do you suppose, even when this is finished that you may be able to work from home, at least part time? That would be nice, as would the soup and biscuits you mention. Yum!

I absolutely love the pot you got from Home Depot, and the wreath is just cute. Take care and stay well!
Dearest Kim,
Derry looking so happy and composed in your opening photo. Love that.
It makes all the difference if there is no wind, for walking or biking, whatsoever, for bing outdoors. Love that solitary big tree in the picture, with its reflection.
What a cute black kitty wreath with paw print in it!
Angel Nicki had the same kind of upright ears as our Barty... Still remember so well you posted about his passing; can't believe it is almost one year. And yet, our Barty is gone already 3 weeks; unreal! We all rush to our own finish line. Your Pinterest graphics are so true.
Our pantry downstairs is always stocked for about 3 or 4 weeks and I need to go shopping at Costco rather soon. But I'm not hoarding to the extreme; WHY?!
Trusting that soon there will be someone declaring; enough is enough.
Hugs to you both,
Mariette
Zoolatry said…
Oh, Derry, are you not the handsome one ... and such pretty/purrty things your Mom has up for the holidays (PS as I do like burlap am tempted to run to nearby Michael's today and see if I can find the same wreath for my door!!!) ... a little prayer for our dear Nicki ... and those who went on before.
Hugs my friend.
Kea said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been stocking up.

Have fun decorating this weekend! I do love how cosy and welcoming a home is with holiday decorations and lights. :-)
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by!
Kea said…
Nicki wasn't a bit of an imp, he was an obnoxious brat and bully, along with being a silly, foolish, entertaining, loving mancat. :-D

I'd love to be able to work from home at least part time, but I have my work computer here at the house, so if I wanted to do that, the department would need to purchase another computer and peripherals for me at the office. And for everyone else who wanted to do the same. So the likelihood of that happening is pretty close to nil.

Take care!
Kea said…
We do all rush to our finish line. We don't realize that when we're younger and wanting to achieve this and that, but it certainly becomes evident as we get older.

I need to go to Costco soon too and I'm cringing at the thought. Ours is always so crazy-busy. I don't buy food there, though, because quantities are too large for just one person and I don't have kitchen/freezer/pantry storage. (It's a tiny area that passes for a "kitchen," in these townhouses.)

I think I also tend to stockpile larger things like tp and pt because I don't have a car, so it's not easy to get around and buy stuff. I can take only so much on the bus and I try to limit taxi rides because they're so expensive. So when I know I have to take a cab home from a store, I want to make it worthwhile. LOL.
Kea said…
Hi Ann, it's nice to see you here! I don't know if Michael's in the US carries quite the same things as the Michael's stores in Canada. But they did still have some of those wreaths when I popped into our store this past Monday. The wreath IS cute! :-)
Clever!👍I buy frozen fish at Costco and then prepare it ALL at home for freezing it into ready meals for stockpiling our 3 freezers. Drawer in kitchen under fridge; narrow half-sided old (30 years!) fridge/freezer standing combi in our panty and I have a chest in the laundry room for mainly storing bread, also from Costco and the German bread arrives from baker in Marietta, GA by FedEx, fresh baked and sliced... That helps a lot. Kitty food is also heavy, all those bags, cans... I admire you for doing this all by yourself!!! And yes, very wise for starting doing this before the real cold weather + ice + snow sets in... Good luck.
John Bellen said…
I stock up (i.e.. hoard) household supplies, too, especially food that can be stored. It cuts down on the number of times I have to go out and into shops. It's nothing to do with covid-19; I've always been a homebody, and the shops I patronize don't usually have great service at the cashiers - or they don't have as many cashiers as they should, so it avoids that, too.

I like the wreath with the troublesome cat's silhouette. That was a clever one.

Nicki... It is tough. I don't go by anniversaries much. My memories come when they come. I think of my lost ones quite often, though in fact, it feels like I am the lost one when I think of them.
Kea said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one who stocks up. When you don't have a vehicle, it's easier to do a huge order and get enough to last rather than constantly be having to stop in at a grocery store. If I had the room for a deep freeze here I'd have it packed to the brim!

Your comment about being the lost one is poignant, John, and aptly describes how many or most of us feel, I think, when we remember our beloved companions. I try to remember that we're all Energy, all Spirit (however you care to think about it) and that we're all connected, whether physically here or not. But sometimes that's cold comfort when you want that warm, furry body next to you to snuggle. ♥
I can't believe it's almost been a year that Nicki has been gone; yet then I think of Sauce of fishbone who's been gone now almost 8...WTH.... I've got a bit of a stock pile here also; "paper" and cat food
and I try to stay 2 containers ahead on litter. Last lock down litter was nowhere to be found..WTH
once more :) I do like the swamp photo but then you know my sentiments on the whole water scene
anyway !!!

derry; yur lookin good dood N we hope ya haz yur list all made out for dood in red day; it will bee
heer bee for ya noe it...like in bout 35 mor sleepz !! hope thiz findz ewe N mom happee N
healthee:) ♥♥♥
Timmy Tomcat said…
The time seems to slip by and we cant believe it is that long. I have been contemplating stocking up also and bought a good bit of TP the other week. Funny thing is that the shelves were empty of all but one brand the next week. We miss all our Angels and it is coming up on the anniversaries of both Mr Buttons and Buddy Budds passing. Life can be hard and then with all this Covid crap!
When it is time you will know when it is right to bring another kitty into your home. Then the love will flow
Kea said…
Litter is one thing I'm also well stocked up on, but that's par for the course for me. Anytime I have access to someone's car I make sure I get a litter run in. LOL. Mind you, PetSmart will deliver, though I prefer the brand I buy at PetValu, can't get it at PetSmart. Back in early March, when we were on the verge of lockdown, I made sure I stocked up on both litter and cat food. Derry, bless him, is pretty neat (most of the time) in the litter box and I can go much, much longer with just scooping and occasionally spot-cleaning. Nicki was so messy I was forever having to scrape and scrub the boxes with heavy duty cleaning pads.

I do happen to know that the dood in red will bring Derry a few things. :-)

Take care and stay well.
Kea said…
I love what you wrote, that when the time is right the love will flow. That's beautiful. ♥

Sending you cyber hugs and Universal Light as you remember Mr Buttons and Buddy Budds.

Life certainly is something! It's hard being a human. LOL.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I know it sounds strange but with all the turmoil swirling I've done the same thing as far as purchasing supplies as much as my pocketbook allows. I've always had a slight interest in preppers and now more than ever I've learned some things to have on hand in case of a supply/chain problem. When I keep hearing we're going to have a "dark winter" I wonder where everything is going. But just trying to do the best I can under the circumstances and if we can get out from underneath all of this hurricane drama for a few months (until it starts all over again) I will be less stressed. Derry is adorable and so is Nicki. I know the feeling about adopting ... Jinx has some health problems now and I think two cats indoors would be my perfect number.
Kea said…
You definitely need to be stocked up on essentials and emergency items, given where you are. Of course we all should, but there are areas like yours, prone to hurricanes, that really need to take that to heart.

I hope Mr. Jinx's issues are manageable for you both and that he still has quality of life. Hugs. ♥
I am not functioning at 100% maybe 50% due to the level of pain I am in but I was here.
Kea said…
(((Hugs))) to you. You certainly didn't have to read this post, but I appreciate it. Please take good care of yourself.
Sunshine and cats :) They do go together. Derry looks good!
Good to hear you are hanging in there and hope that things will not get as crazy as they were
when lockdown happened.Not wrong to be prepared though! Let's hope the coming cold weather will make people stay home.(one can wish :/ )
Take care of yourself!!

Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by. You take care too; Mom was telling me that the Halifax area is seeing an up-tick in cases. Not many, but it means the virus is circulating. Our small area currently has 28 active cases (as of the Nov 19 update), which is a lot. So stay well!
Poppy Q said…
I think the first year is the hardest, and we know how much you must miss Nicky. Me - I would rather celebrate them on their birthdays then remember the day they died.

I love stocking up on supplies and would love to be a doomsday prepper and have a basement full of supplies . Instead I have to make do with a cupboard of canned goods, rice and pasta and a couple of toilet paper rolls stashed in the spare room.
SuziQCat said…
It is hard to believe that a year has passed since losing Nicky. I know Derry is appreciating the extra time you have at home with him. As for supplies, we are stocking up on things too in case of another shut down. While I enjoy working from home, I do wish we could get back to normal. Quarantine the sick and not the healthy. But alas, I am not in charge, so I will enjoy my time at home and be thankful.