March Mish-Mash

This is a mish-mash, catching up on recent "stuff.
 

First, happy birthday to my step-dad, Harry, wherever his energy/spirit is. He would be 90 today had he lived. A crotchety old geezer. (But he was that before he passed anyway! LOL.)
 
 
Second, happy spring! I was SO glad to have official, astronomical start to the new season. Goodbye, winter, don't hurry back! I've seen a few snowdrops up now, on a couple of recent (rare) walks, and of course the birds are back in abundance.


There's no indication of when people in my age range can be vaccinated; the province now has opened it up to those who are 75+. Mom called me this morning (from Halifax), excited to have been able to book her first vaccine (Moderna) for next Monday afternoon, the 29th. Dad, on the west coast, is getting his first vaccine today, though he wasn't sure which one. I guess any of them is better than none!


 I was dismayed and depressed on the weekend to see the clear-cutting of the path through the swamp. A passerby told me the city is putting in sewer lines all the way from Portsmouth Ave over to Bath St, so that will mean they'll have to clear-cut part of the Rideau Trail as well. I hope this is not in preparation for some developer to fill in the rest of the swamp, as they did on the other side of the rail tracks, for yet another ugly housing development. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any bit of wildness left in this city that I easily and quickly can get to anymore. Living in an urban area has many advantages, but it's also soul-sucking (for me). Alas, such is the way of it all over the planet, as so much wilderness is lost to development. It wouldn't be so bad if developers actually spent money to include green spaces and, you know, TREES, but it's only about cramming as many houses or condos as tightly together as possible, for as much profit as possible. Anyway, rant over.

I took the day off last Friday (March 19) and took Derry in for a full check-up. He's down a bit in weight, not quite half a pound since last July, and has been losing a few ounces every month that I've weighed him (Jan, Feb, Mar). I wanted to see if it was thyroid, kidneys, etc., or just normal aging and loss of muscle mass. He had the full meal deal (full blood work, urine analysis, plus the extra protein/urine test). It was a long time for Derry, an hour and a half return, and I stood outside in the bitter windchill for an hour at the clinic, waiting. (At least the sunshine was lovely!) Even at 9:30 AM they were busy. The vet emailed me earlier today; all the tests came back just fine from his point of view, though there are a couple of numbers that are above and below normal, respectively. Anyway, it would seem that right now it's just Derry's natural aging process (or maybe early renal issues?) and I guess it's to be expected, as he'll be 14 in June, which is 72 in human years. The vet does recommend a senior diet, and while a few years ago I would have scoffed at anything dietary a vet would recommend, I will follow up with the clinic staff about options.
 
I do like this Lunapic art effect!
 
 
I've been doing some baking recently with coconut flour instead of any kind of grain flour. It's...interesting. 


The pumpkin muffins, above, are actually pretty tasty and I will make them again. Coconut flour is not like regular flour, it's much denser and you need a lot of eggs for the three recipes I've tried.

The reason I'm looking for and trying grain-free recipes is that I had gone to a (highly regarded and recommended) naturopath at the beginning of the month for chronic severe non-acid GERD (if you don't know what that is, you can Google). I've been dealing with this for about seven years now, most of them spent on toxic pharmaceuticals with little success, in spite of all the dietary changes I made many months ago. Anyway, the naturopath is 99% certain that I have SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth--bacteria that should be in the large intestine that end up in the small intestine and cause gut issues), which can mimic GERD symptoms, as well as cause other digestive issues. Apparently it's pretty common! I did the hydrogen breath test a couple of weeks ago, have gone for blood work to check a couple of other things, and am waiting for my next appointment with her to (a) discuss the test results and (b) determine a course of action. I actually have been hoping that it's NOT SIBO, because the dietary changes necessary to manage it are even more limiting than those for GERD. (BTW, SIBO is not some alternative health woo-woo thing, I came across info on it from various gastroenterology clinics/hospitals/labs, including Johns Hopkins.)
 
Also, if you or someone you know is suffering from what has been diagnosed as GERD, but is not being well-managed on the PPIs (the toxic pharmaceuticals), please do research SIBO and ask/push your doctor about testing. If you think you have it, don't just do a FODMAP diet! There is some cross-over in foods that are okay, but also some conflicting foods. And be aware that unless you kill off the bacteria via regular or herbal antibiotics, just changing your diet won't get rid of the bacteria. It's my understanding that if you simply starve the bacteria of their food sources, they will go into hibernation. See https://sibocenter.com/2015/03/useful-websites-resources/ for some resources to get you started. (Don't make the SIBO bread recipe linked off that site, it's disgusting. I tried it twice, varying one of the ingredients and wasting a dozen eggs in the process.)
 
BTW, it's only too bad that here in Canada there is very little coverage for alternative health care. The university offers us $300 per calendar year and I used that up and far more for one visit (the 90-minute first VERY thorough appointment, plus the two tests). It seems good health is only for the rich, or for those of us who are willing (read desperate enough) to incur debt for optimal health. (If I had listened to the family residents I see at my regular clinic I would be on the PPIs for life, plus an anti-depressant and high blood pressure meds right now. Seriously?!)

And that's an end to my health PSA (public service announcement). LOL.


My stylist's cat, Willard, above. I sucked it up and went for a haircut on Friday afternoon, after Derry's appointment, my first cut in 4.5 months. Just in time too, as COVID cases here have surged and we've moved from "green" to "yellow" and are expected to have further restrictions soon. It's all thanks to 140 university students who just had to have a big party on March 12th, a day before St. Patrick's Day restrictions on gatherings came into effect, in a failed effort to curb the partying, obviously. Selfish and stupid, as we were doing SO well before this. If I ever get to move, I think I'd better pick a NON-university town or city!

Anyway, I've blathered on enough. My next post probably will be cursing the roof, the property management company and the repair company, as we're expecting 25 - 35 mm of rain on Friday, the first heavy rain of the year. We shall see! Maybe by week's end it'll be a drizzle, as the expected rain turned out to be the last time. I won't bet on it, though.

Derry, feeling good in the sunshine!
 

Take care and keep well! 🌷

Comments

Katie Isabella said…
DERRY! You and Katie are close in age! She has an appointment in another week or two for her senior profile. I'm not allowed to be with her when they give her the gabapentin but we can stay in the car together and either freeze or burn up,.,neither of us having a bathroom is not a plus either.
I'm busting to know how you do on the roof! I still have hopes that this time, they did it right.
I'm glad Derry is doing well for his age. That sewer line sounds like a real mess. We live in a place called Greenville and sadly there is less and less "Green" these days due to all the development. I hope your dietary changes helps you feel better, that starving off of the bad bacteria makes sense.
catladymac said…
Purrayers to you and Derry.
The Island Cats said…
Just wanted to mention that cats can suffer from SIBO too. It’s not easy to diagnose because it can look like other things, but there is a test for it. :)
Kea said…
Wow, I had no idea they could! Thanks for the info. I can't imagine how challenging it would be to diagnose in another species, since it's not simple to do in humans. I would guess you would need to take a sample from the small intestine under anesthetic. 🤔
Maebeme said…
Good to hear that Derry is doing well. It sounds like you're having your own health issues though. I was diagnosed with GERD a few years ago, but have been fortunate enough to manage it with OTC's and a change in diet. Cutting out coffee was the best thing I could do, and though I still have flare-ups, I always know it is because of something I had to eat or drink...that I ought to have known better. The doctor did send me in for a biopsy of my stomach as well because of cancer in my family. Hopefully the naturopath can find a reasonable solution that isn't too costly for you.

On another note, the birds are beautiful - no robins here yet. But that stupid hawk is back - I know it is the way of nature but it makes me sad for the little birds. As for the developers, I wish they could leave things alone especially in swampy areas. We have a neighbourhood here in Regina that was built on a marsh - I know people who hunted ducks and geese there years and years ago. Houses there were built on a poor foundation and there's always issues with those properties.

Take care, try to stay well!
Kea said…
I gave up coffee almost 2 years ago but cheat once in a while. It's not good if you have SIBO either. No coffee, black or green tea, no alcohol, no chocolate, no fatty foods, no onions or garlic, etc. No good food at all. LOL.

BTW, the last resident wouldn't send me to a gastroenterologist, claiming she would if I were 10 years older. She's also the one who prescribed the antidepressants I didn't bother to take. (I will take them if I ever become clinically depressed again, but not for a gut issue.)

That's when I contacted the integrative health clinic. 🙄
I have read and re-read andyet nothing in way of a comment comes to mind. Sorry................
The J-Cats said…
We love the pic of Derry enjoying himself in the sunshine, as well as colourful arty pic.
We don't really understand why pet pawrents can't be with their furbabies while thw v-e-t is examining them. They wouldn't do that with human children, would they?!
Kea said…
I don't expect you to leave a comment, Jo-Anne. I appreciate that you've even visited and read the post! :-)
Kea said…
It's all COVID-related, of course. Dads can't even be with their spouses when they're in the hospital in labour, fathers are only allowed in when the birth is imminent. (I know someone who is awaiting the birth of her first grandchild, so this is how I found out.) Isn't that nuts? The couple lives together, made the baby together, yet the dad can't be with the wife through the labour? Makes no sense to me at all. So I guess I'm not surprised that you're not allowed to set foot into the vet clinics at this time. I wonder if we ever will be allowed again!
Timmy Tomcat said…
A lot going on and Nurse Dad says tummy troubles are difficult to manage and says you are on the right track. All we can say is That Damn Covid! Ugh! Hope the roof is alright and thanks for those nice photos of Derry
SuziQCat said…
Glad to catch up with you! Derry seems to be enjoying the spring sunshine already. Gut health is very important and can cause a lot of other seemingly non-related issues. It is great that you have found someone that understands this and can offer non-medicated solutions :) Happy Spring!!
Praying you feel better soon! Shocked that Canada is that slow with the vaccine, I'm 65 and had my second weeks ago!! Glad that hopefully nothing major is going on with Derry, I forgot he's the same age as Cody was, Cody would have been 14 on April 1. Sending lots of love!!!
John Bellen said…
I’m sorry Derry is losing weight inexplicably. If he is fourteen, though, it seems that he is keeping pace with mine. As soon as they became teenagers, they started gradually losing weight. I suspect it is simply age, but it seems an early time to start. I suppose if they were people, our aged cats would soon be those elderly men and women who can’t even see out the windscreens of the cars they are too short to drive…

The amount of urban sprawl these days - any day, really - is horrendous. I’ve talked to people who denigrate Victorian city-expansion, but I’ve yet to see an improvement now. The last time I went to Calgary, all I saw coming in was undulating waves of identical housing spreading over the countryside. Terrible.

I am not surprised that doctors recommend too many pharmaceuticals these days. Veterinaries are the same, so it fits. I don’t go along with everything natural, but trying to cure everything with chemicals simply doesn’t work and/or makes the problems worse. I hope you are able to relieve your health issues with your new approach. And yes, there should be more coverage in health-care for natural or alternative remedies. I love our health-care system, but it could use expansion, especially into dental coverage. I don’t think that Canada’s health-care is influenced nearly as much as the U.S.’s, so I think the reluctance to expand it into alternative medicine is the fear of spending huge amounts on quacks, of which there are too many. In any case, you may be on the right track, so the best of luck to you in this.
Rian said…
Interesting post, Kim. Love the pics of Derry. And I probably have GERDS too... but never used the meds the doctor put me on. Made the mistake of reading the information sheet that came with them... and thought, no way! I do cough both in the morning and after eating, but a cough drop stops it. So I've taken to eating Luden's cherry cough drops whenever needed. Don't know if that's wise, but to me it's better than the possible side effects of the meds. And I'll admit, I don't want to go through a bunch of 'tests' right now with this pandemic. But if you read my most recent post, I have decided to try gluten free for a few weeks. This of course is not for the coughing, but for a digestive problem (maybe a mild IBS) that occurs a few times a year.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Hope you are feeling better, and that you get some answers soon from those tests you took. Derry is always such a cutie pie!! I know you will love to see Spring come to you soon. It's been 'spring' here for some time and soon it'll be SUMMER. :( Lots and lots of heat. I probably feel the way you do about Winter with Summer....and hurricane season.
Kea said…
SIBO can cause or contribute to IBS as well. If you can manage it easily, that's terrific. My "GERD" symptoms are severe, not acid reflux but terrible chest pain that radiates to the left shoulder blade. I have been to ER several times over the years to be checked for a heart issue, and last year I had two ECGs, one chest x-ray and a heart stress test. So it's looking like it's not really GERD at all, or maybe it's both SIBO and GERD. I hope to be able to sort all this out, and as both are chronic conditions, don't expect to be "cured," but hope to manage it or them through more natural means. The PPIs aren't really helping much anymore at all, so that means there's something else going on.
Rian said…
"No coffee, black or green tea, no alcohol, no chocolate, no fatty foods, no onions or garlic, etc. No good food at all. LOL." I just read this from you in your response to Mae. OMG, that is rediculous... except for the alcohol, and fatty foods, the rest is my basic food source. I'm willing to try gluten-free, but not willing (at this time anyway) to go that route.
meowmeowmans said…
Happy spring to you and Derry, Kim! I'm happy Derry got a good checkup. Here's hoping your next appointment with the naturopath gets you on the road to getting that non-acid GERD-hopefully-not- SIBO thing under control. We get our first vaccination shots on April 9.
Dearest Kim,
Poor you for having to wait outside for Derry's treatment at the Vet's. At 4:00 PM I have to go with our Speckie girl for her 3-year Rabies shot. It is conveniently around the corner and I will go in my shorts and t-shirt for walking at 5:00 PM with a friend and her big dogs. Love that and the dogs are treating me as one of their own. Yeah, so much needed to walk in nature, as we do too, around a little lake, woods and dirt road. Often mud road but I got the shoes/boots for that! On my way to the Eye Vision clinic in Macon, along the Interstate on my one hour drive, they have cleared so many trees, then chop and grind them up for hauling off. Sure, tall trees if they fall on the Interstate and crush cars, is a hazard so I understand that. Frist time we see this in 37 years, makes sense.
BUT, my friend was beside herself when their former neighbor who sold his mansion to even out with his ex, financially, then CLEARED a huge piece of land and had it stripped naked. Ruining the water flow, there were pipes in it for leveling water levels between different lakes and different heights. Result was that all deer, foxes, rabbits and what else have no habitat left and the entire area is affected by the disturbed water flow, turning it into a wet and swampy area. Some people don't make sense, only think about their stupid $$$. You are so right about those developers' greed for the very same reason. There ought to be a balance and as long as I will live, I prefer to walk in the wilderness; pure nature. Or bike through the wooded and natural habitat, at least farmland without all the homes and concrete.
LOVE Derry's beautiful face, his eyes and also nose/mouth are so expressional. A beauty he is and he then is only a couple of months younger as our four (one sibling got killed by a speeding car...) babies that will celebrate on March 30 their 14th. Born in our guest bathroom, with my assistance, holding the Mama cat's leg... She was so sweet and special. But she vanished and I guess, she got kidnapped due to her beauty.
Oh, eating healthy is quite an effort and sure we MUST stay away of all the pharmaceutical poison. Also reading labels as that has the very same effect. Took me several years but for the sake of my kidneys, I've learned. Yeah, coconut flour is strange... it absorbs all the moisture and is very hard to blend too! Loved this recipe: https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2017/09/tea-with-turmeric-coconut-flour-muffin.html
You are so right, the pharmaceutical industry wants us to become sick and purchase more of their products for big $$$; they don't care about our real well being. Sure there are meds that can safe lives but we ought not to walk blindly into their traps...
Remember, they're also the government's biggest lobby and they have the money to support them in return for favors. As long as our brain works, we have to do our own research; you're smart for doing so!
Love Derry in the sunshine, they enjoy that so much. Though ours remain a lot more indoors, guess that too is related to age...
Big hugs,
Mariette
Kea said…
The no list is for GERD. You can have "weak" coffee or tea on the SIBO "diet". But onions are garlic are off the list if you have SIBO as well, as are potatoes of any kind (regular, sweet) and well, any grain, really. I already have told the ND that unless it's a matter of life and death, I simply cannot exclude any one food group altogether, and I don't think it's healthy, either. There are a number of things on the SIBO food lists I've looked at that I can't eat at this time, for heartburn reasons. I don't know if that will change in the future. I DO make and eat oatmeal/peanut butter/pumpkin energy bites that have mini chocolate chips in them (I use half the amount called for).

It's also about finding out how much YOU can tolerate of a certain, problematic (for your system) food!
Kea said…
Thanks for the recipe link, Mariette. I've printed it out and will give it a try in the not-too-distant future. I need some ingredients first! It does have a lot of coconut flour, the recipes I've been trying call for 1/2 or 1/3 cup. However, the recipes I've tried also don't have any liquid (other than liquid from eggs, honey, apple cider vinegar and vanilla). I'll have to get some coconut milk (I printed another recipe this afternoon that uses it) and also some tumeric and ginger (I'd cleaned out my old spices but not replaced them).

Good luck with Speckie! :-)
Thank you, Speckie is the easiest and sweetest in regard to vet visits; it was swift and easy without any sound. Gave her a treat before and afterward; never mind she's overweight but she's a happy girl!
Derry is such a cutie. He looks very snuggly!
Your bird photos are beautiful!
I hope the alternative health treatments work for you.
Take good care.
Poppy Q said…
Miss Pops is like Derry and down in weight a little but nothing on blood tests. She'll be 15 this year and the slowing down is more evident each year . I had my first vaccination yesterday as a health care worker. It is a lot of work and I am sure yours will be done soon.

Nice to see the spring is heading your way. Autumn has started here with two days off and rainy dark weather and I'm over it already. Time to put the shorts and sandals away.

Julie and poppyq