Well, that didn't go quite as planned
Ha, what in life does? :-P
I was off last Thursday and Friday (July 29, 30) and had a fabulous day catching up with a friend at the mall. She loves to shop, I love to shop; it was great. LOL. I actually picked up six items (clothing) at Northern Reflections and had so many points dollars (didn't know it!) that the entire cost was 54 cents. Yep, 54 cents! Whoohoo! (I must have done more online shopping in the last year than I realized. Ha.)
Friday, however, things took a turn. Derry started having acute diarrhea, which he's never had in his 14+ years, and though I picked up some plain Metamucil and some slippery elm bark powder (the latter from a natural foods store downtown), it wasn't helping much at all through Saturday and Sunday.
Then he had a massive, tightly bound hairball on Saturday morning while I was out running errands, and I thought oh, that could be it. Sadly, not.
By Monday, a holiday for much of Canada, I thought he might have a partial blockage, so off we went via cab to the emerg vet. Mercifully it was fairly early in the morning and he was there for only about half an hour, he inside and me waiting outside in the parking lot. It was a gorgeous morning, I'll give it that.
The upshot was that the vet couldn't feel any obstruction, or poop in his colon, and since there weren't any other "red flags," she diagnosed him with "colitis of undetermined cause" and sent us home with some diarrhea meds.
Those did the trick, and I called my own vet clinic first thing Tuesday morning. They didn't have any free appointments until Thursday morning, but our vet said that I could drop him off and they would run diagnostics in between appointments. So I dropped Derry off shortly after 9 AM on Tuesday (poor love) and waited on tenterhooks all day.
I really didn't want to call and pester them, because the vet was being kind in fitting us in, but I finally caved at 3 PM, I couldn't stand the wait.
The vet was just finishing up, said Derry's blood work had come back fine and his x-ray was great too, no obstructions and formed stool in the colon. Whew. No urine analysis, though, because Derry's bladder was too small.
Anyway, I brought him home, and while it's taking a few days for him to recover from the trauma of it, and he's not eating as much I would like him to, he's done his business normally, so that's good.(He's also gained about a pound or so from the winter!)
I actually took his solid stool sample to the clinic yesterday morning, for a full parasite/bacteria test, and since I've paid for it but haven't heard anything, I can only presume all is well. (Update: I emailed the vet and the test still is pending at the lab.) He made solid output again today, and I really just need to let him be, need to stop being a helicopter pet mom. He was perky last evening and enjoying himself as usual, so that was good. That he's been particularly fussy, food-wise, might be more my own fault for spoiling him this past year and half while working from home, over and above the general fussy nature of cats.
I do have a couple of thoughts as to what caused this (if the stool sample comes back negative), won't bore you with those. For now I'll just take it one day at a time and see how he does. If he develops diarrhea again I can give him the meds from the emerg vet in a pinch (he got only two doses, though it was meant for five days, but it's very bitter and so stressful for him). If he does have this again, though, I'll certainly follow up with our vet for alternatives to what was prescribed at the emerg clinic.
So the long weekend was more eventful than I anticipated, and not in welcome ways for either of us.
However, my oldest (in terms of years known) friend sent me a text a couple of days ago to tell me that her mum (in New Brunswick), who recently was admitted to hospital after a fall, is now in palliative care and has slipped into a coma. My thoughts and prayers are with them all; Derry's issues are small potatoes in comparison.
Take care, all; stay safe.
Peace.


Comments
that's not an easy thing to deal with
derry dood....st francis' blessings two ewe buddy.....did ya eat a bass terd turkee, chew on sum spiderz out side; get a bad batch oh kibble....we iz glad yur mum waz abe bull ta get ya de care
ya kneaded ...and pron toe....heerz hopin ya due knot hafta go thru that again.....ewe ore mom...YOW ~~~~~~~~~~
And poor you! What an anxious few days you have had!
May the coming weeks be much, much better.
be so dangerous, if not unto themselves but rather in leading to so many other things. Prayers
for her ... may better days come for you. Hugs, Ann
The sunflower photo is beautifully cheery.
I'm sending prayers for your friend's Mom, this is so hard :(
Anything with our kitties is always a big worry. Glad that Derry is feeling a lot better and oh, how we HATE them being traumatized. Our Spooky boy I absolutely cannot take and carry him to the vet.
He's healed very well and has lapped up all the extra love+treats... They sense that you want to help them! But you always worry if not putting him inside that dreaded pet carrier and ruining his trust completely. So my guilty feeling has gone away, seeing him rest enough and healing well.
The other night I heard a kitty scream outside and I went out of the front door to overlook the patio on the front of the house. Spooky came towards me, so he was there and he probably dealt with an intruder kitty?! That might have been the cause of his left arm being wounded, two little puncture wounds, very much like a bite. Guess that was it and how can we keep other not so friendly kitties away...?
Life can be complicated at times and we worry about our fur babies, especially knowing that their life span is limited.
Indeed, any human illness is a lot more serious and devastating. So sorry for your long-time friend's Mom! Hope they all can cope.
Big hugs,
Mariette and all five kitties + Pieter (We biked today 36 km)...
Great score on the clothing! I had no idea that Northern Reflections had a points system.
Hoping all is well with your Derry at the moment.
Don't we all worry when our fur babies are affected by whatever?!
Our Spooky is well too, his bite has been healing very well.
Guess it was a bite from another kitty as I've heard some fo their 'friend kitties' making quite a noise on the patio in front of the house. Guess Spooky tried to keep them at bay and got bitten. Glad it was not a snake but he only lounges in our gazebo on the benches or on a chair and on the patio or driveway. Also on top of the little black table on the mini patio at the Rose Suite entrance...
Always a good feeling when they stay close to home. When rain is coming, he is on the tiled front porch and often I let them in through the front door so they don't have to get wet for using their cat door in-between the two garage doors.
By the way, tonight at 8:00 PM I will air a short video that I've trimmed out of a home and garden video that we used to mail to Mom & Dad in The Netherlands. We'd gifted them a multi-system TV and VCR player for that purpose and they loved this talking letter with real views of things.
In that post I've embedded your post about 'Parasols'.
Big hugs from all of us in Georgia,
Mariette