New Washer Dilemma: Impeller or Agitator?

Does anyone have terrific experience with a particular brand of washer? If so, is it a front or top-loader, and if top, does it have an agitator or an impeller?

One of the models I'm considering, with either an impeller or agitator:
My old washer still functions, but the normal wash cycle no longer works properly and the repair fellow who came early in the winter couldn't figure out why. Actually, it behaved just fine for him...but not for me. LOL. I've been washing on another setting for months.

Then last week the auto-temperature control seemed to go; I was getting straight hot or straight cold, not a mix. I switched to the manual setting and it's working at the moment.

The machine is the last of the Sears Kenmore (i.e. Whirlpool) mechanical top-loaders, is now 22 years old. I hate to give it up because it's been a terrific "work horse" of a machine, but I don't want to keep paying for repairs, either. (I've already had half a dozen repair visits for it.)

I'm leaning to a top-loader, because that's what I'm familiar with, and I don't want to stoop down to put my clothes in or haul them out, or deal with possible mildew, gasket issues, etc.

However, I see that you can get impeller or agitator top-loaders, and some with removable agitators. I looked in a few stores over the weekend, spoke with salespeople, have done a lot of Googling (reading and videos), and it all seems very daunting, after over two decades with the same machine. Everything has electronics now, and of course those will fail quickly. There are fantastic reviews for every brand/model I've looked at, and utterly abysmal reviews for every brand/model I've researched.

The other thing that completely dismays me is the length of time that it takes to do a load in a new washer; it's crazy! How does anyone ever leave the house if they're doing numerous loads per week? (I average five loads per week, last week I did 13 loads because I was washing curtains, etc., with many more loads to come over the next weeks of spring cleaning.)

Any experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated, particularly with regard to customer service. Thanks!

Below: From a few days ago; my first duck sighting in our neighbourhood. It's great to have most of the snow gone now, except for the banks from the plows, or some icy patches in shady spots. Ducks don't have a dilemma between front/top/impeller/agitator. Lucky them!

Comments

I think I made a mistake 8 years ago when I opted for a front loader. It will do a load
nicely in 33 minutes. But the thing is so big my tiny laundry room is now difficult
to turn around in. I'd go top loader for size. My last GE lasted 30 years. I do not
expect the new stuff to last much more than 15.
I did see a pair of Wood Ducks this past week. And I have had 4 sunny days out
of 10. But it poured all day Saturday and then it was dark and damp all day
yesterday.
I am in the process of weaning the 100 goldfinch off the feeders. I am down
to 3 thistle feeders starting today. And the one suet feeder is high on the
clothes line between trees so no raccoon can reach it. Saves me going out
at 6:30 AM now. Lynn and Precious
Kea said…
Thanks for the feedback. I don't expect a new washer to last more than 5 to 7 years, frankly. I can get an extended warranty that will take me to 5 years, but after that I'd be on my own. :-/

How lovely to see the wood ducks, I don't typically get to see them, though they are around, of course.
I have only had front loaders. Actually this is only my second, my first lasted 45 years! I agree with you on how long a cycle takes though. My "new" one takes 2 hours and 1 minute for the programme I usually use. My old one took 50 minutes!
Kea said…
I didn't even know front-loaders had been around that long. LOL. Outside of a laundromat, that is. Wow, I'm impressed. What is the brand?
My first machine was a top loader manual. You put the washing in and when it finished you manually put in the spin drier side. There was a hose pipe you attached to the tap to fill with clean water, set it to spin and repeat 3 or 4 times. I am talking 50 years ago so that was quite an improvement on the old copper boilers like my mum used to use. Then the automatics came out so I got one. It was Zanussi, an Italian make. The saleswoman said they were very good and I would get years of service from it. I don't think she realised how many years! Ivor did minor repairs on it a couple of times but it finally croaked a few months before the pandemic. I have got a Blomberg now which is supposed to be reliable. One thing is for sure, I won't need it to last 45 years like my last one.
Rian said…
We have always had Maytag top loaders and they last forever. The one we have now is only our second in the 54 years we've been married and it was a 'used' one. Think we paid $300 for it. It still works (knock on wood). Now I do know that the newer models of appliances are not made to last very long. So I can't say much about buying a new one. And as for impeller or agitator - not sure what that even means. I'm guessing ours is an agitator, but really don't know. Good luck!
We just bought a new washer, we've been through way too many lately, they only seem to last a week or two after the warranty expires. This time we invested in a Speed Queen, top loader with agitator and we couldn't be happier. They're expensive but boy what a difference. Good luck.
John Bellen said…
I can't help you, being in an apartment building with a laundry-room. The machines here take half an hour and forty minutes, respectively, for the washer and the dryer. But I average one and a half loads a week, so that's not bad for me. I think if I had to buy my own washer and dryer, they'd be a rock by a stream and a clothes-line in the wind...
Dearest Kim,
We got our Miele Washer and Dryer since September 8, 1994 and it is a front loader but very compact compared to all American brands. Would NEVER want to go back to my Whirlpool days... We took that with us to Italy and could only run the washer as the apartment had not enough power for running a dryer... In Indonesia we bought another German brand, a Bauknecht washer and dryer.
Miele is very energy efficient in the usage of water and electricity and does an excellent job! The ONLY thing I've at times considered to get the next size as our down duvet barely fits inside... But how often do you launder that?!
With my CKD stage 4, I've noticed that for squatting down and unloading into the laundry basket, I no longer can veer back up as I used to be able. But that is age and CKD related.
Now I hold onto the top and that works fine!
So I cannot give you any advice about the American brands. Miele is quiet, compact and energy efficient, as in Europe we were way ahead in that aspect. Mom had hers for over 40 years!!! They last forever.
Good luck with selecting your new one!
Those ducks are the first forebodes for spring in your region; enjoy more to come!
Hugs,
Mariette
Talking about front loaders, in Europe we always had front loaders, so were Mom's! That is for almost 60 years...
The J-Cats said…
We have a Bosch front loader which can take up to 7 kilos. This is the first time I heard about agitators and impellers. The amount of time it takes to complete a load of laundry depends on the programme. I only do laundry once a week and I generally use the mixed load programme, which takes just over an hour. I think I also used the short programme (30 minutes) once. Both worked just fine. I don't have a dryer. Never felt the need. The spin/tumble cycle at the end of the programme works just fine.

The duck pictures are lovely.
Kea said…
Thanks! I've actually never heard of those brands.

When I was a young child, I remember the wringer washer we had then; I was fascinated by the clothes being fed through the rollers to wring them out. :-)
Kea said…
Thanks, Terry. I've not seen Speed Queen's for sale here, though I have seen other high end brands like Miele and Bosch.
Kea said…
Thanks, Mariette. Miele does sell here (as does Bosch). It's interesting that front loaders were and are common in Europe, whereas most washers here still are top-loaders.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Kea said…
Thanks! Bosch does sell here. Maybe I should invest a bit more than I planned to and get something that has a better chance of lasting.
Kea said…
Thanks, Rian. I've read new Maytags aren't what they used to be, but that seems to be the same for just about every brand.

I'm starting to think I should just limp along with my old one until it gives out entirely. LOL.
Katie Isabella said…
I have always done well with Whirlpool. Right now for the past 10 years I have had a Maytag because no Whirlpools were available when my previous-to-that-one died. Whirlpool if Ican...GE is a possibility to me too. Agitator all the way for me. The advertisers went all out to get you to buy the front loaders. "Special" detergent to add to the front loaders "mystique" and whatever. I don't want the thing. Why spend all that money and have its attending problems! Top loader all the way for me.
Maebeme said…
I have a GE front loading machine that I bought when I moved into this house almost 12 years ago. It's still working but if I find a good top loading machine in the next year or so I'm going to change it out. The water drips out the door when one opens it and so it has some rust on it, and I find it doesn't drain well so I keep a towel in the door to soak up the excess and clean the machine regularly.

I know they say agitators are hard on clothes but to be honest, I'm hard on my clothes! I've never heard of an impeller so I'm not I'm off to do some reading. Good luck with your search!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I guess approximately 4-5 years ago my Maytag bit the dust and I was looking to replace with another but....I was in sticker shock plus even then they didn't have the one I wanted in stock at Lowe's. So I ended up with a Whirlpool toploader and wouldn't you know a month later my dryer went, so back I went for the matching dryer. I'm sorry to say I don't even know the difference in the impeller or agitator. But my washer takes only about 35-45 minutes per load. I can't do a lot of washing because I have a septic system which I've been learning ALL about the hard way. Good luck, I know you hate to give up on your workhorse and I dare say even if you get a new one, it'll never be as reliable as your old one...as they say they just don't make them like they use to.
while I don't remember the brand name; my mom bought an impeller top loader and sent it BACK
within 90 days because it didn't work; she supposedly got "new"

the new machine I "think" is a whirlpool top loader agitator that takes a week to wash and another week to dry; { programmable }

being of Irish descent and superstitious, I'm knocking wood and tossing salt ...my OLD KENMORE is still running; yet sadly trying to find a SEAR"S store that is still open is hard to do
Kea said…
Sears closed down in Canada some years ago. One of the repair guys told me that "Kenmore" was actually Whirlpool (when they were still good), with the Sears Kenmore label on it. Makes sense; Sears didn't manufacture their own washers/dryers. But back in the day, they were reliable. I hope yours hangs on for years to come!
Kea said…
Oh, and yes, I just about fell off my chair when I saw how LONG it takes new machines to wash! I get that they're more water efficient, but if they take 3 - 4 times as long to do a single load, how can that possible be energy (electricity) efficient? Makes no sense to me!
Kea said…
We were in the country when I was young, we had a cesspool and a septic tank. I remember Dad having to dig that septic tank up every summer, or maybe every other. It was RIGHT off the back step too. LOL. Fun times. :-D
I have never heard of impeller a new term for me, we have a new LG and its wash cycle is pretty damn quick.
Kea said…
Hmm, good to know, Jo-Anne, as the one I was eyeing was an LG. It probably will be either the LG or a Maytag model I've been looking at, as my space is very limited and I have only a certain width to work with.
Kea said…
I'm hard on my clothes too. LOL. I don't own any delicates, really. My current machine has a hand-wash cycle; I've never used it. I do use the delicate cycle from time to time, though.

I know a few people who love their front loaders, but I've heard of more who say they wouldn't have one again.
Kea said…
I'm leaning to the agitator because that's what I know. I've watched videos on how impellers clean the clothes, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. LOL.

I've looked at some models of Whirlpools, but they're too wide for the very tight space I have in the basement. So I have to take that into account as well.

This is much harder than I thought it would be, and it doesn't help that I tend to overthink everything to death!
Kea said…
I laughed at that. I'm pretty sure a rock and stream wouldn't cut it, but you can't beat a clothesline. We always had one growing up, and in one or two of my apartments in the early years in Halifax I had one too, but it's been a long time.
meowmeowmans said…
We have a top-loading LG, and have been very happy with it. Absolutely no problems ... it washes clothes well, and the normal cycle is fairly fast. :)
SuziQCat said…
We had to buy a new washer a few years ago when ours finally broke. The repair man said to get a top loader with an agitator, so that's what we did. I'll check the brand when I get home and can let you know that as well. There were a few that he mentioned to stay away from. I'll see if my sister remembers those. Good luck!
Poppy Q said…
We've always used a top loader, agitator and its fine. Like you i don't do any delicates. One consideration is although you are buying just for you is having one big enough to wash curtains and quilts. Getting a quilt out is always a pain.

Julie and poppyq