Monday Musings
We're still here and doing fine at the moment. I haven't been blogging much because (a) I've entered my stupid-busy time of year and (b) there really isn't much to update on. (It's a sad irony that the nicest time of year, weather-wise, is my my worst time of year, work-wise.)
It's a banner spring for my hostas, which haven't looked so good in a long time. That will change with the coming heat, as presumably we will get stifling temperatures at some point, but for now I'm just enjoying them before they're fried to a crisp.
I'm inching closer to the actual bathroom reno, because I now have a new three-piece acrylic tub and surround sitting in my garage, delivered by the contractor and his guys (sons) last week.
I'm NOT looking forward to demo day, but I AM looking forward to getting rid of the old steel tub, worn down to black in various spots, and the old, cheap surround that is cracked in too many places and patched with white duct tape. (Hey, it works!)
The bathroom reno is a good 15 - 20 years overdue, and while it won't be fancy when finished, at least it will not be an embarrassment and will not negatively impact the eventual sale price.
I'm having everything replaced, including flooring, vanity and taps, wall cabinet, lighting, mirror and other accessories. I can't wait to go shopping for a new shower curtain, new bath mat, etc. :-)
In the meantime, my rental hot water tank needs replacement, and that's being done tomorrow. I think the only thing I'll have to pay for is the installation of the mixing valve, which is missing from the existing one. Otherwise the utilities company covers the cost of the actual tank and standard installation.
The tank is 12 years old now, several years past its expected lifespan, so I think I've done well. It hasn't failed, though I've had several repairs to it over the past dozen years, but on Friday it started making a strange knocking sound when it runs. I had a utilities tech out to look at it this morning (they were quick, I called just after 8 AM and the fellow was here within 15-20 minutes), and there's no danger of explosion or something equally dire, it's sediment build-up in the tank and is common after that many years. He told me I could either have him drain the tank and see if that did the trick or replace. it. Given its age and likelihood of real failure, I opted for the replacement.
So tomorrow Derry will be doing this, again. (Pic from last week when the tub/surround was delivered. Derry hides even when he hears me talking to someone outside, poor thing, never mind when someone enters the house.)
Anyway, that's about all the "excitement" at my end for the moment. Take care and keep well!
The kildeer and rabbit are from June 5th.
Peace.






Comments
Derry has the right idea - stay hidden and out of the way. It's funny Saku has become accustomed to staying upstairs and rarely goes down to the basement these days. Of course, it helps that his litter boxes are both upstairs.
Your little garden is so lovely and looks like a peaceful spot to relax. Your hostas put mine to shame!
Wow, that is a LOT of repair and replacement going on. Nobody looks forward to such chores.
The garden is indeed looking at its very best.
Guess it looks quite similar to The Netherlands where I absolutely INDULGE in all gardens.
Yesterday I biked on Ellie's e–bike, together with her husband. A slower pace for me, he's recovered from a brain hemorrhage and much later colon cancer and chemo. So I certainly respect that! He does well, going to the gym, walking and biking.
But what a UNIQUE thing that my brother did pass me on his way home from work, near the train station... he zipped by on his work e–bike and he's well trained on his mountain bike + he's my youngest brother!
What I love most here is Derry's picture top and bottom!
King Derry hiding in his safe haven... Oh, ours also vanish when someone comes near the house or inside!
Big hugs,
Mariette
Oh, our illegal in the White House did cancel all regulations for entrance by plane into the USA—so Friday morning I will fly home!
I wish my bunnies I used to see would come back. Too many coons and coyotes I think, to let them feel safe.
Your hostas are amazing, Kim! We have some, too, and are always amazed at how fast they grow. Hang in there with work; sorry your busy time coincides with the good weather. :(
all oh them 😼😺❤️‼️