Tuesday Tales

I had intended to write a "Monday Mish-Mash," but didn't get to it yesterday, so "Tuesday Tales" it is. 


Derry's glucose numbers have, so far, remained in the low/normal range. His third sensor will be finished on Thursday at noon, but I'm going to wait a week or so before taking him back to have the old one removed and (possibly) a new one put on. The Orijen Fit and Trim dry, which is low carb (16% - 17%) has ingredients that cause his SIBO/IBD to flare-up (like pea fibre, etc.), so I'm trying to increase the Hill's z/d dry and decrease the Orijen. He seems fine with the canned that he eats (Weruva, a bit of Orijen). He really doesn't like Hill's, though, so I sprinkle a bit of FortiFlora on it to make it a bit more palatable.

It's a balancing act, especially as he's so picky (read spoiled)!

Evening sky a few nights ago.

Our "summer in November" came to an abrupt halt; we had wet snow on Sunday. Given that the Weather Network had forecast rain, the snow was a bit of a shock to many. It didn't stick around long, but I know it's coming. Given what many folks in western provinces have been dealing with, we have nothing to complain about!

Fuzzy snaps of the lunar eclipse, below,
which I was lucky to (accidentally) catch



Let's see, what else...

Friday November 4th was the 5th anniversary of my step-dad's (Harry) passing. Mom's younger sister, who now lives with Mom, took her out to the cemetery where he's interred with two of his children, the first time she had been there on that particular anniversary. Below is an old pic from March 2009, taken on Harry's birthday.


Then Saturday the 5th was the 15th anniversary of my paternal grandmother's passing. I have fond memories of her when I was a child, but I had very, very little contact with her after my parents divorced when I was 16 and I chose to live with my mother (and what 16 year old girl wouldn't). Below is an old pic of Grandma, probably from the 1970s (not sure). It looks like it was taken at their house out in Lac Long, a house I wish had remained in the family. (Unfortunately, with such a small, globally-scattered family, it wasn't feasible to keep and maintain it after Grandma moved out west to be closer to my dad.)


There's not much else to relate. I'm already counting down the working days remaining until our Christmas break: 28, not counting today.

Below, the park across the street from our
large shopping centre, snapped on the 5th
.


Oh, I learned a valuable lesson on Sunday: Do NOT take the 6:45 AM bus up to Walmart, because when you get to the transfer point, at least 18 young Walmart employees will crowd the bus, unmasked (I remain masked in public places, especially public transit), on the way to start their shifts. And when you get to Walmart, you will find the aisles crowded with staff restocking the shelves, making it difficult to maneuver to your cart and reach what you want. (I guess restocking at night would be too logical!) So the take-away is to wait a half hour and go at 7:15!

Below: Some kitty has rediscovered the little cat tree, and yes, I have a new-to-me 4-foot tree up (in the background), though not fully decorated yet.

I hope everyone is doing well and/or hanging in/hanging on. Last week was "Thrive Week" at the university (focus on mental health and well-being) and I listened to the keynote speaker (virtually), a happiness researcher. My one take-away was to create "little bursts of happiness" through the day, which, over time, add up to an increased sense of overall happiness and well-being. So I wish you many little bursts of happiness throughout your days.

Peace.

Comments

Kim, what a full and newsy post. Derry looks so handsome and then on his tree. Good news there especially if you can do it with food that is not undigestible for him. I was able to ride more times on the bike path in Nov. then in Oct. But the bitter cold and floaty snow flakes are here and not warm up til Spring. If we did not have Thanksgiving coming soon, I would put up a Christmas tree now, too. A neighbor has. However, I do like to keep the Fall theme going until after. I know about wide spread family. It is good to have memories, and in some cases, that is all we have. Lynn and Precious
Dearest Kim,
The news about Derry is good and seems to be rather stable!
He looks great, even both his eyes resemble normal and the same.
Time can heal and that is proven once again.
Sad memories of loved ones that are no longer with us... especially during this darker and colder time of the year.
This season draws us inward in many ways—inside the home and also finding personal happiness in the many little things we encounter during the day.
Hugs,
Mariette
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Derry sure looks as cuddly and handsome as ever! Glad that things have been puttering along. Hope good things continue onward with you and sweet Derry.
catladymac said…
Hope Derry continues to do welland you too !
I'm sure glad Derry's numbers are stable, that's terrific and what fun he is using the tree again.
meowmeowmans said…
We're very happy to hear about Derry's numbers being good so far. We hope that trend continues, and also that you can figure out that food balancing act. That is definitely a lesson learned about the 6:45 am bus to WalMart. I would've been SO anxious the whole ride. Ugh.

Love the learning about bursts of happiness. We wish you the same! XO
Fur Everywhere said…
I'm sorry you've had some tough anniversaries to deal with this past week. :( Sending purrs to you.

Have you tried TikiCat low carb kibble? Carmine liked it, but he's allergic to something in it (never figured out what exactly). There's also Young Again low carb kibble. And Dr. Elsey has a low carb kibble called Clean Protein.

It's hard to balance health issues when you have two or more to deal with at the same time. I hope you can find some kibble for Derry that doesn't make his IBD flare.
John Bellen said…
It sounds like Derry is doing pretty well under your watchful eye. It is indeed a balancing act, but things are going well! The pictures of the lunar eclipse were pretty good, accidental or not.
I am glad that Derry's numbers are keeping stable. I rarely catch a bus except when I have to go to the hospital. Most buses in the north of Plymouth stop at the hospital but few go back to the Park and Ride, Defeats the object really! Two weeks ago we had to catch the bus that stops at the hospital on it's way to Tavistock. Coming from town it was packed. Normally I would have waited for another bus but the rain was bucketing down and we just wanted to get home. I always wear a mask on public transport and in crowded places but it seemed like Ivor and I were the only ones wearing one. I decided to double mask. I got some strange looks but I don't care. I would rather try and stay safe.
Kea said…
I've been double-masking since early October, as it's high cold/flu season, plus there are new COVID variants around. You would be appalled at the number of people on the bus who cough, open-mouthed (and of course un-masked), or cough onto their bare hands and then touch the stop buttons, poles, etc. I've even seen a couple of bus drivers cough onto their bare hands while driving. Disgusting.
Kea said…
I think I looked at TikiCat and found that the Orijen Fit and Trim had a lower carb level. The other two foods I've not seen or heard of here. We do not have as wide a selection of pet foods as in the States, though perhaps it has more to do with being in a small city, rather than in a larger centre.
Katie Isabella said…
Derry is doing wonderfully well. Trying to match needed foods to their picky unrelenting taste is HARD to do. Happens with every cat I have had. I enjoyed every line of the blog.