The cat show is back on this weekend

The annual Canadian Cat Fanciers Club cat show is taking place this weekend, for the first time since 2019.


I hemmed and hawed about going, wasn't sure how I'd feel, but in the end went down for an hour or so this morning.


It was harder walking in than I anticipated, and I just let the tears come. I find it pointless to try to suppress my emotions, it only makes things worse. I was okay after 10 - 15 minutes, so walked around for a while, disappointed in the small number of vendors and the lack of (rescue) housecats. They will have the "ordinary" housecats this weekend at some point, but I didn't see any while I was there, just various purebreds.


I watched a bit of the judging (four rings going at once), but wasn't interested enough to sit down and watch for any length of time.


There were a lot of kittens, obviously at their first show, many seemingly very scared and overwhelmed. I can't blame them, poor babies. 

I ached to have my hands in kitty fur, but didn't ask if I could touch any. As I wrote, most seemed scared to me, and those that were really calm were curled up sleeping in their carriers/cages, waiting their turn.


I saw in the program that the Gananoque & District Humane Society was supposed to have had a table. That's the shelter from which I adopted both Nicki and Derry. They weren't there this morning, though our local shelter was. I stopped and chatted with the volunteers, who had really terrific items to sell, like gorgeous knitted cat/pet beds, awesome, sturdy cat tents, etc. These volunteers were the crafters/artisans who make items for fundraising. I saw several things I would love to have purchased, if I was sure I would adopt again at some point.

I did, however, buy this from them, below. (The fellow who does the wood burning was not there at the show.)


I couldn't resist the sweet, happy face. I think it needs a "frame" of some sort, so if anyone has ideas about that, feel free to leave a comment.

The show is on tomorrow too, though I'm not planning to go back. Still, it was nice to do something I hadn't done in several years (I don't think I went in 2019 and maybe not even 2018), even if it was bittersweet.

It's probably a good thing that no rescue had cats for adoption there, the temptation might have been too much!

Even if I were emotionally/financially ready, I could not adopt now, as my mom, on the east coast, is in kidney failure and my dad, on the west coast, has just been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I'm stretched pretty thin right now, and likely will be spending most of my vacation time travelling this year. It's definitely the wrong time for another fur baby, no matter how much I miss four-legged companionship.

But down the road...Well, who knows?  :-)

Comments

Rian said…
Kim, sorry to hear about your mom and dad. Will definitely add them to my prayer list. But I am glad you went to the show... and enjoyed your pics. I understand how you may not be ready, I'm still not and it's been over 2 years.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I'm glad you went to the show. I remember after Abby died I went to one of our local rescue shelters just to see the cats. I can't even tell you why I did because I wasn't ready for a new cat, but I went and cried anyway. Prayers for both your Mom and Dad.
So sorry to hear about your parents. That is a lot of worry and stress especially with them at opposite ends of the country. Here's hoping 2023 will be kind to you.
Purrs Julie and the "mum"
That smiling kitty you bought is beautiful. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad, we send you prayers and hugs too.
pilch92 said…
That is a beautiful picture. I am sorry your parents are both ill.
catladymac said…
Sending you and your folks purrayers and POTP. When the time is right for another kitty you will know - that picture can keep you reminded.
meowmeowmans said…
Kim, I'm so sorry to read about your mom and dad's health issues. We're sending love and purrs and prayers for them, and for you.I'm glad you went to the cat show, and that artwork is lovely. Maybe a simple black frame?
I am sorry to hear about your mum and dad and send my best wishes for them and you. I am glad you went to the cat show. Not long after Flynn passed we went to the shelter, not because we were looking to adopt but I desperately needed to cuddle a cat. I also cried (howled actually). It was only a few months after I had been told the cancer had returned and I was in a bad place emotionally. That was why we didn't adopt because we didn't know how long I had but hopefully 2 years. It has been 6 years now. Sorry to go slightly off subject but people ask why we haven't adopted and that is the reason.
I forgot to say that the art is lovely. Maybe a light tortoiseshell frame.
I am certainly glad you made yourself go and look at all those lovely cats. I haven't been to a cat show and probably 20 years. Peepers and Seney were the results of going way back when. I am so very sorry that both your mother and your father are so desperately sick. You will be torn between the two and hopefully be able to go see both of them. Someday a cat would be a welcome relief to have at home again I am sure. Since I was in a different place than you when Seney left me, it was only a couple weeks before I brought home you know who. If you go back to the show again I hope you enjoy. The picture you bought is really cute.
Poppy Q said…
Kim, I'm glad your heart is open to another buddy when the time is right. I feel conflicted about cat shows. Nothing wrong with an average moggy.
Kea said…
Jackie, I figured it was your health challenges that stopped you from adopting again. That and that I know you like to travel! :-) Just know that you never have to explain your choices to anyone, it's no one's business. That applies for each of us, IMO.
The J-Cats said…
Kim. I am so sorry about your parents. And having them so far apart must make things even harder for you.
As far as a new furbaby goes - Derry and the other "befores" will whisper in your ear when the time is right, I am sure.
Shimona
My Mind's Eye said…
Good morning Kim...I'm so very sorry about your parents. I remember many years ago when your Dad was visiting to help you with some home renovations and also Nicki and Derry were lots of 'help' to your Dad. Sending lots of prayers to you all. I enjoyed the photos you took at the Cat Show. The Black and White Cornish Rex was quite handsome.
As for your question today about the home on my blog. It is indeed a single family dwelling. Located in Country Club Estates.
Sending hugs Cecilia
John Bellen said…
I always figured that such cat-shows, like dog-shows, were for the purebreds. I think looking for ordinary cats, rescue-cats at such events is like expecting to see ordinary men and women, people who try to stay fit at the local fitness club, at the Olympics.

I am sorry to read about your parents. It's very hard on them to have such problems, and on you, having them so far apart.
Kea said…
They DO have ordinary cats at the show, for judging. Just not while I was there yesterday. In past years, that's been my favorite part of going!
Oh no Kim, now your Dad too? I feel so bad for you. When the time is right to adopt again you will most definitely know it and the right kitty will find you. I am certain you will open your home/heart to another (or maybe two?) Again..........I can't see you being without kitties forever. Will be in touch very soon. xoxo
Dearest Kim,
When our loved ones are terminally ill—it is tough!
Wishing you the strength for living through that.
All I know is that when our kitties die, no more due to my health issues.
But they give so much love and comfort, they're on the bed near me and they sense when in pain.
Living without painkillers gets compensated some by their LOVE.
Hugs,
Mariette