Vacation Day 6: White Rock
I'm eager to get through the rest of the vacation pics, so these remaining two posts will be picture-heavy.
On Tuesday June 6th we all went to White Rock, a favourite spot of theirs. I could see why, it's lovely. Touristy and busy, of course. It's home to Canada's longest pier, something I didn't realize.
I don't know if this eagle was just too close to the crow's nest, or if the eagle actually got an egg or chick but oh, this crow was UNHAPPY! S/he kept dive-bombing the eagle, while the eagle remained indifferent. I was at full zoom on the little point and shoot, so it was challenging to get even a semi-clear snapshot. Eventually the eagle went on his way and things quieted down.
The white rock in White Rock? :-)
I did walk all the way out to the very end of the pier and back. Dad had stayed put on the main street, and his wife had gone off at her (almost) power walking pace to do her 8+ kilometers.
I wanted to walk out to the pier because that's really the only spot from which I could get a snapshot of Mount Baker (U.S.). Even on a hazy day it was impressive.
Across from the water, along the main street with its shops and cafés, is where the stairs are located (previously posted in June).
That was our visit to White Rock. I'd have loved to have stopped in café and had something to eat, but that wasn't on the agenda. I think Dad would have been amenable, but it wasn't in his wife's plan.
Instead, we stopped at a shopping area in Surrey on the way home, as they both had a few errands to run.
Cute decor in-between the shops and restaurants.
Below: This was just part of the vintage room in the nearby liquor store. The vintage sections in our local liquor stores consist of a few shelves. (Nobody purchased anything in the shop. I think Dad's wife was looking for something in particular, but didn't find what she wanted.)
That was vacation day 6. Next up is day 7: Boundary Bay and the Secret Garden, then a few pics of the Indigenous sculptures in the Tsawwassen mall.
Thanks for indulging me! :-)




Comments
Figured out that White Rock Pier is actually 470 m long or 1542 feet. And also that it got destroyed in 2018 during a storm on a cold December day... A helicopter rescue had to save one person stranded. That must have been scary for him!
Lovely 'Dutch style' flower market.
What an incredible eagle — crow encounter you captured.
Hugs,
Mariette
White Rock is beautiful. Thank you for walking on White Roc Pier almost all the way to the USofA to snap a photo of Mount Baker. It is gorgeous!
I really appreciate all your photos from Western Canada it is a beautiful place.
That eagle was a beauty. The crow was giving it a severe tongue lashing.
Are your photos taken with a phone or a camera...they are so crisp and clear and the color amazing
Hugs cecilia
No thanks to living there either, as it definitely looks far too crowded to me. I'm surprised your father's wife didn't find what she was looking for, with the selection available.