Catching up on a few things

I know it's been a couple of weeks since I've bothered to post; there's not a lot to write about right now--not that I'm willing to put out in a public forum anyway!



As you can see from the two snapshots above, we've had a good wallop of winter weather. First with snow and bitter temps, windchills in the minus 20s Celsius (I know, I know, it's been colder in other more westerly provinces!). Then with rain and freezing rain and more rain.

So it's been messy, grey, gloomy, dreary, and dismal, and I'm feeling the effects of almost zero sunshine since what, October? Early November? On the plus side, we're on the right side of the winter Solstice and the daylight is increasing. Thank goodness!


I have not been idle, though. I'm now booked for a trip west in early April to visit my dad. His wife will be away at that time, on vacation overseas with her sister. Apparently she had suggested (to Dad) that I come out and keep him company. So I will go for a week and we'll muddle along with the cooking, as neither of us does that. As an aside, it will the circle of life--I had been out for Dad's 60th birthday, and now I will be out there for my own 60th birthday.

I'm also in the process of getting e$timate$ for a full kitchen reno, which desperately needs to be done.


There is nothing salvageable in that space, original to the building (so almost 40 years old, in deplorable condition, and missing the cupboard doors for about 20 years), other than the fridge and stove, which I bought in May 2022.

I have received really nice designs from a couple of companies and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at a third one, as his "design" was a rough sketch on graph paper and does not give me a sense of what the cabinets would like, etc. 

I'm pretty clear in what I want: cupboards to the ceiling (including trim along the top), white shaker style, minimal design, modern brushed nickel hardware, a drop-mount sink, quartz countertop, cabinet fittings that allow for easy access, and a drawer unit (with pull-outs) to replace the rough-made cabinet in the "island" (visible below). That overhead cabinet above the "island", also roughly cobbled together by the handyman who was doing the work on the unit when I bought it almost 24 years ago, will be removed and will not be replaced. It's actually a hazard, I've almost taken out my eye numerous times on its sharp corners.


The flooring will be redone as well, though perhaps not at the same time, I'll see. Whatever I do for that (it's just vinyl sheeting right now) will also be done in the entryway. I'm thinking along the lines of luxury vinyl, but I don't know if the weight of the fridge (which I regularly move out to clean behind) would damage it. It certainly has damaged the vinyl sheeting. I don't want anything I have to regrout or that will be slippery underfoot.

I've learned a few things along the way, such as if you want a drop-mount sink, you have to go for a stone counter, you can't actually do that with laminate. Also, I will have to go for a single sink, not a double one (as I currently have), because the space is too small to get a lower corner cabinet unit in otherwise. (Right now the under sink cabinet has a lot of wasted space because I can't access it at the back.) I don't mind going to a single sink; a 25-inch drop-in sink will actually give me, in theory, six inches of additional counterspace, given that the current double sink takes up 31 inches, measuring across. In a kitchen as tiny as mine (7x8), any additional counter space would be welcome.

I should add that I'll be choosing middle-of-the road products -- not low-end builder-grade, but not custom-made wood cabinets either (out of my budget). I'll be looking for good quality, durable products that will stand up to the heat and moisture of a kitchen, and to my own clumsiness. The designer from one of the companies, when I told her that, said she has something in mind, good quality MDF cabinets with painted doors (not plastic-wrapped, as the lower-end ones are, which can peel). So I'm sure I'll be able to find something that will work for both budget and quality.

I'm not looking forward to having to pack up every single decorative item on the main level, but because it's such a small, open space that will get completely filthy with the demo, everything has to go, including the curtains. I'm currently stocking up on drop cloths and have bought a few king-sized flat sheets from a local thrift store too, for the couch, dining table, and other large items that can't be removed.

I hope to decide on a company within the next few weeks, then refine what I want and go from there. I can't imagine this getting done until at least May, which is fine by me. I don't want to start anything in March, not before I head west, given that there will be delays and glitches with the reno along the way.


That's the "big" stuff going on, other than the complete sh*t show that is work. I will not discuss that in a public forum, however. Nothing to do with our unit, I mean the organization as a whole. Whooo boy. Let's just say that in my 23+ years there, this is the messiest, ugliest, biggest pile of doo-doo I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot of it there.


That's about it, I think, other than some discouraging knee issues (for a few months now) that I'm trying to resolve, so far without success. There has to be more to getting older than body parts hurting! LOL.

I hope everyone is well. I'm still reading blogs most days, though commenting is hit and miss. Take care and stay well and let's hope Spring comes early this year. 

Comments

Dearest Kim,
You have lots of things planned!
Oh, such snow would have killed me—that is post accident with my nerve damage to legs since groin area surgery. Happy to wear knee warmers as it bothered me at night for not being able to sleep well. IF that ever will improve?!
Early April going West will be lovely and that one week will pass quickly.
A special 60th Birthday!!!
You are daring to start a kitchen reno. Does that mean you will retire there?
Cupboards to the ceiling as quite high. We have 9 foot ceilings but I never wanted to have my cupboards that high. Having to step on a ladder for reaching the top ones... no thank you!
Good luck with all of it.
Hugs,
Mariette
Kea said…
Mariette, I do not want to retire here, no. But the kitchen cannot be a liability when it comes to selling, given the current real estate situation. Right now it is. And if, for some reason, I have to stay here in the end, well, I need the kitchen done for myself.

The ceilings are standard 8 feet. I am so short that I already need a stepstool to reach the upper shelves. The very top shelves will be for things rarely used. In this tiny space, I need every square inch of available space for storage. 🙃
Good luck Kim!
That explains it all and also your current ceiling height is not tall.
WOW, that's way too much snow for us! Good luck on the remodel, it's never fun to go through but the end results are usually nice!
meowmeowmans said…
You surely did get walloped by that wintry stuff, Kim, Like you said, though, we're on the right side of the solstice, and spring is coming! Excited to hear about your trip to hang with your dad, and about your kitchen renovation. Not so excited to hear about the drama fest at work. Believe me, I feel your pain on that one!
Your kitchen reno sounds like a big project, but hopefully you will be pleased with it when it is done.
April is not too far off and it will be nice to visit your dad.
ZOOLATRY said…
Home renovations: pain and pleasure. Having lived thru a kitchen one actually just before moving where I now am, it's a big deal. Want any suggestions, email me (ha, ha!)
... love ya, A
I'm so glad to hear that you have made some progress in the direction of your kitchen. Not that I envy the mess it'll make, but I do kind of Envy the fact that you have a brand new kitchen. Mine is only 10 years old and nothing to complain about except that the Builder used ugly flooring an ugly formica. You are hopeful about the weather getting better, more so than I am. I looked at February's long range forecast and it's just going to be bad weather again. The sooner or later it has to be April or may, right. For now you've got plenty to keep your mind occupied on and try not to slip and slide when you walk outside. Lynn and Precious XX
K, why is it that winter always looks the best in “photos “
these are awesome….best fishez as we say on the re do
and I TOTALLY get it…. I retired at 65 ( coulda waited
til 661/2 for a better check ….but it became a matter
of what was more important, a hundred extra dollars
or my sanity …the place I left was toxic, and that’s not
a joke ) L

💙😺🐟
Maebeme said…
I'll take snow and cold weather ahead of freezing rain any day. When you get snow, you get dumped on, it's rare for us to get more than a couple inches at a time.

The kitchen reno will be lovely, but the time during will be a regular pain in the butt. Brings back memories from the partial reno I had done in 2013 in the old house. Worth it when complete, but frustrating while it was happening.

We have luxury vinyl sheeting throughout much of the main floor in this house. I did move the stove to clean behind it when we moved in and there was definitely impressions in the floor. * don't know how long since it was installed, but suspect it was fairly recent. I haven't convinced my son to help me move the fridge as yet, but I expect there would be similar damage. When I get his help, I'll place sliders under the fridge - it's far too heavy for me to move as it is. I'm not certain there is any flooring that won't eventually be damaged by heavy appliances but placing the sliders/coasters underneath does help.

I agree the cabinet above the island needs to go. Drawers are marvelous too. Have fun with the process!
My Mind's Eye said…
Kim I am happy you have your trip to visit Dad planned. Gives you something fun to look forward too in this last 50ish days before spring.
We had our kitchen renovated in 2006. Completely gutted down to studs. Angel Madi had a month long reservation with my parents who totally spoiled her. I went by to visit each day after work to take care of her loo. I took over the big jugs of litter didn't want my parents trying to do that. Luckily they lived 10 min from me and their house was 1/2 between mine and NC State University where I worked. I loved reading all about your thinking process and possible choices. As for your floor there is a product call LVP (luxury vinyl plank). It looks just like wood but is vinyl. Very durable in fact more so that wood. It does not dent easily cleaned. And it comes in a variety of colors. We chose gray. It blended nicely with the new carpet outside of each of those rooms
In 2016, we had the carpet in the office and craft room replaced with LVP. WE LOVE IT really. If you would like, I can send you a picture of ours or of course you google it.
Hugs Cecilia
Gosh, that is a super large lot of snow and ice. The UK hasn't had anything even remotely that bad for years.
That is a small kitchen, and as mine is a bit smaller and in need of a revamp, I do feel your stress and understand where you are coming from. I found a really good option for the floors here: a commercial-grade, non-slip floor tile. Not too utilitarian, and as commercial, they are essentially 'everything-proof'. The only downside was a small range of colours. Very practical and very hard-wearing. And best of all, for a small area, cheap. I hope the rest of the renovations go well and on budget. Maybe worth a look.
ERin
BeadedTail said…
We had a bout of wintry weather too that iced us in for 6 days. I'm ready for spring which feels so far off on this what feels like the 75th day of January!

Kitchen renos are a mess but the end product will be worth it. There are so many ways to make space in small areas these days like pull out drawers and fitting usable space in every nook and cranny. Hope it all goes smoothly!

Happy to hear you'll be with your dad on your birthday!
John Bellen said…
The kitchen renovation will be quite the undertaking but if you know exactly what you want, that will help a lot. Don't settle for less. It's also a good idea not to start until you return from your trip. You seem to have everything in hand. As for the weather, I can't complain about ours, compared to yours, though that will change: tomorrow is predicted to be +14 degrees! And then down to -4 by the end of the week. A crazy winter...
Katie Isabella said…
KIm...I blogged about my reno in my human blog back when it was done, in 2003 I think...my kitchen was gutted. Walls stood, but the room was totally empty.
When I met with the designer at Home Depot, I said "I start long break Friday at 0600 to the following Thursday at 18-00. If there is even the faintest chance that the job won't be done..all installation of everything...I will leave now and try to find someone who can guarantee it" They came out several times meticulously measuring. Then I was made to make a choice of all cabinetry, appliances, flooring. Everything. They supplied the electricians and plumbers and any carpentry. They knew my work and that it was critical that I get back when I said. They did it. The floor however was started Thursday . I called and complained saying I had to take a nap exactly at 1515! I was starting midnights. That I was guaranteed all labor would be done by my return to work. It got done! I wrote all this to show you it can be a good experience They moved everything...put it back when finished. WHEW.
The J-Cats said…
A new kitchen sounds exciting - but, oh! The headache and the mess!
Still, the finished product sounds something to look forward to. Hope all goes well.
PS. We loved the cartoons.