Monday Mish-Mash

I'm happy to report I have a bit more progress on the kitchen reno now. I'm also happy to see the snowdrops and crocuses in bloom! (Pics from a lunchtime walk last week.)



With regard to the kitchen, the planner and the installer came out Friday AM (rescheduled from Thursday due to an emergency down at St. George's Cathedral involving sewage backup and having to tear up a good portion of the beautiful old hardwood flooring in a large back room). The planner brought the additional samples and I made a snap decision on both the counter and the floor.

The pic of the quartz countertop, below, is snagged from the web. It's very subtle and has both grey and beige running through it, so I hope will be fine with either warm or cool tones, depending on the next person's preferences. I prefer beige tones, or at least greige, so this is not what I would have chosen were I in my "forever" home. The floor is too, as it's a "marble" (vinyl tile) that is greyer than I would prefer. However, I'm done with belabouring this, of going back and forth to the showroom. I like it well enough and can live with it, and can add some nice warm accents to the space afterward (like wooden utensil holders, etc.).

 
I have yet to choose tile for the backsplash. I have to wait for a revised design and estimate and go from there. Boy, this is a long process...and it hasn't even begun. LOL.
 
Anyway, I made more progress on packing up my space over the weekend. I've removed all the "art" from the living area and lower hallway, have only a couple of pics in the dining space (and only because I choose to work from the dining table and so want something pretty to look at). I also removed some other decorative items and small furniture items. (Upstairs is becoming even more crowded that it was. LOL.)
 
I took off the all the remaining cabinet doors and removed three of the four upper cabinet top shelves, which took a lot of determination, since they were well and truly painted in there. I also went through all my kitchen pantry items and chucked the stuff that was past the expiry date, and rounded up other items I won't use up and dropped them off at a nearby grocery store's food bank bin.
 
 
Then I ordered the over-the-range microwave/range hood combo from Home Depot (I snapped the pic above when I was out a few weeks ago, looking at them). Delivery should be on Thursday, though I was annoyed that it was delivery only, not something I could pick up for free in the store. They have them on display in the store, you should be able to pick them up there too, IMO. But, whatever. The plus is that it was $30 less than it had been when I'd first seen it, so that covers half the $60 delivery fee.

I'm not thrilled about the protruding handle, but I opted for it because I could get it in white, as my fridge and stove are white, and it's the same brand as the other two appliances. Plus it scored very highly in customer reviews, of which there were many hundreds, none of which I read. I have learned that it's far too easy to go down a rabbit hole when you start reading reviews--and who knows which are real and which are fake anyway.
 
So now I'm looking at a lot of empty space around the main living area and wishing we could speed things along. I'm itching to get this over and done with!


Once all the kitchen dust and dirt is over and done with, I'll take the opportunity to finish painting the lower level before I put anything back up on the walls. I had repainted the lower hallway and dining area before COVID, so it's been a while already, but hadn't finished the living area. I'll have to paint the kitchen walls and ceiling too, the bits that are left. There won't be much, since the cabinets will go to the ceiling and most of the wall space will be tiled. Fine by me, the less I have to paint, the better!

That's it for now; I hope everyone has a good week, is enjoying sunshine, no matter what part of the world you're in. Thanks for stopping by!

Snapshot below from lunchtime today.
 

Comments

Gidget Blue Sky said…
love the choice of counter tops!!
You are definitely making lots of at home progress getting ready for the big re-do. If your microwave is a Samsung, as mine is and your photo looks identical, I can say I have had this for 10 1/2 years and so far great! Now of course, I have jinxed it, lol.
Good on you for being willing to paint walls. I always did ours for our homes over 40 years, but no more. 10 years ago I hired someone to do 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The hall and living area are still the same contractor eggshell blah. Too expensive to hire and I won't lift a brush anymore.
I like your neutral picks for tile and countertop. You'll be able to add color as long as you live there and if and when you sell, maybe the new owner won't have to immediately gut the place and start over. Around our community, that is what we see all the time. The sold sign goes up and the construction dumpster moves in.
Nice to see a few colorful flowers outside. I have seen crocus in my big little city and my mini daffs are up by the dozens and dozens.
Crossing my fingers for you that work can start soon after you come back from your western visit. Lynn and Precious XX
Ramblingon said…
I love seeing your pictures I only have some daffodils and a few other bulbs. The horrible deep freeze killed all my gardenias and camellias.. And the rose bush.
Such pretty flowers. Hooray for your renovation project moving on. You'll be happy with it, especially when it's all done!
Dearest Kim,
Oh, it is so difficult for making choices!
But it sounds and looks like you are getting there.
Love the white microwave!
And of course the spring flowers on your walking path.
Hugs,
Mariette
I am glad you have made your choices and the reno will soon get into full swing. The spring flowers are pretty.
K,

it is daunting…a remodel can be as crazy as an actual home purchase it seems

and thanx for sharing the flower photos…nothing here yet 🍀😺💙‼️
My Mind's Eye said…
YAY you Kim
What a beautiful selection of spring posies!! Just lovely
Excellent new on your kitchen reno and OMCs you are on the ball getting orders placed etc. We have over the stove microwave too. We really like it.
I like your counter tops.
Cheering for you
Hugs Cecilia
meowmeowmans said…
We're just starting to see some blooms here, too. Thank goodness for that, as we are ready for some spring. :)

I'm glad your reno is starting to move along! We want to go with an over the stove microwave one of these days, too.
John Bellen said…
The dreaded transition stage of the work has begun, when you live in a twilight of things half there and half not. Well, it won't be forever. And I think simply deciding on a choice on the spur of the moment is a good thing to do; such selections can go on forever. And once all your belongings are back in place, and you are using the space, it will seem like home, regardless. I keep thinking of having a new micro-wave oven but my old tank from 1980 is still working, and the interior light-bulb that died a few months ago started working again. It may outlive me!

And the blooms of spring! At last.