Home again, home again, jiggety jig

I got home very late last night (April 11), to bed after 1 AM, but I made it!

1. It was a wonderful holiday with Dad, lots of sightseeing, and we muddled through just fine food-wise, though neither of us cooks (I did bake my dairy-free, sugar-free Irish soda bread and pumpkin muffins, though.)

2. Both flights were on time and uneventful, as was the train to Toronto on April 3rd and the UP Express train from Union Station to the airport. No problems at all; yay! The bus home, was a different story, though.

3. I took over 800 pics that I have to wade through, cull, and then edit.

4. Trip highlights, other than spending time with Dad: The Reifel Bird Sanctuary, the Van Dusen Gardens, and lunch in Queen Elizabeth Park (in Vancouver) with its incredible views of the city and mountains beyond.

The only glitch: I knew I would get into Pearson from Vancouver too late to make my way downtown to pick up the last Via Rail train home, so I had booked the bus instead (one of the two companies in town that goes back and forth between here and there). I was expecting the double-decker bus I typically see, but we got the little bus instead, one that seats about 18.

It departed on the dot of 7 PM, which was great. In fact, all was well until the bus suddenly "died" near Napanee. We ended up stranded on the side of highway #401 (one of the busiest highways in North America), in the pitch dark, pouring rain, and high wind. It wasn't a good spot, unfortunately, as there was no real shoulder, and the transport trucks were zooming by all too close. I've seen plenty of news reports where things like this take a tragic turn.

I'll gloss over the driver trying to get through to get help (we were the last bus of the day), and it turned out that the only other driver on the road had been called to Ottawa because one of the Via trains was stuck (or somehow delayed) and those passengers needed to be bused. There was no guarantee that he would be willing to come and assist us, and in any case, it would have been at least a two hour wait. There were 14 of us on the bus at that point, plus the driver, none of us happy. I doubt I was the only one who was scared to bits of becoming a highway fatality.

Anyway, by some miracle, the bus started up again after half an hour or so (?...I lost track of time and had been up and travelling for many long hours by this point). We limped into Napanee to drop off one customer, then it was decided to keep going as long as we could.

That (sort of) worked. The bus would run for a kilometer or two, then die; the driver would have to coast to a stop and restart. This went on until he got us to another exit, where we took the old highway the rest of the way (it turns into one of main thoroughfares here). Once we were actually in the city I was fine, I knew if the bus gave up completely I could get a taxi. We made it to the bus depot, though, and after thanking him profusely for getting us back safely, I called a cab. I think it was about 11:30 PM before I got home, and it was after 1 AM before I finally was able to crawl into bed.

So that's that! I don't want to travel anywhere any time soon, though!

I don't yet have really interesting pics to share, these are just a few quick snapshots from the start of the trip. I'll post pics of the sightseeing once I get the snapshots done.

I think this fellow's name was Alfred, if I remember correctly. He and his human weren't on my flight.


I zoomed in on the cockpit on the flight out, before departure obviously. I cried during take-off on both flights, but on the plus side, I didn't spill food or drink on me. A win!


Pretty floral display at Crescent Beach. We stopped there for a snack after visiting Stewart Farm.

I hope everyone is well; take care!

Comments

I'm glad you are home safely and wow, that was sure some bus trip. I am no longer a fan or commercial flights, it's always such an ordeal. That pup was a cute one.
A fantastic trip and I am glad you are home safe.
Poppy Q said…
You always have some sort of travel dilemmas. Me, I love flying. Buses - not so much.
Poppy Q said…
You always have some sort of travel dilemmas. Me, I love flying. Buses - not so much.
I am glad you had a lovely time, and that you got home safely after the scary bus trip.
When I saw your comment about the bus breakdown, I certainly was hoping to hear more of what and how and where. Oh my, some of your trips over the past 3 or 4 years are certainly events of their own. Congrats on keeping your clothes clean on the trip, lol. And thankfully the bus driver did his best to get you safely within taxi distance to home. Some day you will have to share with us the recipe for the Irish bread. I would like to make it I am sure. As you unwind this weekend you will have photos to study and a new kitchen to think on.
Hope work comes back OK without extra having piled up for you. Lynn and Precious XX
Happy to hear that you made it home safely.
That bus trip sounds exhausting.
Love the photo of the wee pug ♥
What a terrifying ride back home on that bus! I am sure your bed never looked better. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and happy you had a nice visit with your dad.
ZOOLATRY said…
Bye bye bus trips ... but happy the rest went well (cutie pie Alfred) ...
My Mind's Eye said…
Kim OMCs well done remembering all the details of the bus trip from 'he-double hockey sticks'. WOw I would have been right there with you imagaining all kinds of things that could happen. Very thankful you had a wonderful visit with dad. I really look forward to all your photos taken during your outings. You really have an eye for the best photos.

Alfred da Pug is adorable. And he looks like a seasoned flyer.
Hugs and of course you were missed
Cecilia
Dearest Kim,
Welcome back home!
Alfred the pup looked quite at ease for traveling with his human.
Glad you had a good time, aside from that bus trip!
Hugs,
Mariette
meowmeowmans said…
I love that you and your Dad had such a nice visit, Kim, but that bus ride home sounds horrible. Glad you are back home, my friend, and look forward to seeing more of your photos (Alfred is cute!) from your trip.
Rian said…
Glad to hear that you and your dad had a good visit. Sorry about the bus fiasco. Looking forward to more pics!
John Bellen said…
The airplane-rides were (relatively) fine but the bus-ride was a nightmare? I think that counts as irony. Nonetheless, it sounds like a good holiday, over all.
The J-Cats said…
The bus ride truly sounds like the stuff nightmares are made of - and longer than most aeroplane journeys I have made!
Still, it's behind you now and you've got the memories of your trip and all the lovely photos to erase the memories of the bus ride.
800 photos?! Wow!!!
Katie Isabella said…
Holy Cow. I thought I was the one with travel nightmare but no. YOU had a bad time of it re: the bus. I would have been ultra concerned too about a semi hitting the bus! So glad you made it safely. I would like the recipe too for the Irish soda bread! :-)
Maebeme said…
I'm late responding, but welcome home! It does seem that travelling these days always ends with some drama. Though I've never had to deal with a bus, yet. Come to think of it, I do have a bus ride in my future this upcoming winter.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your Dad. Vancouver definitely has its beauty, though I could never live in a city that big.