Almost there!

The countertop went in yesterday afternoon, though not without kerfuffle, a few snafus. I won't bother going into those. LOL. Just par for the course, given the week!


It's very neutral and unobtrusive, not what I would have chosen in a "forever" home, but it will go with anything and shouldn't offend anyone. Plus it's better than the hideous green painted counter that was there before (that was my doing...my big mistake years ago).
 
The floor doesn't look that dark in person.
 
Today the backsplash should be done, and then that's it! 🤞

I thought the entryway floor would be done today too, the installer had told me a couple of weeks ago that he'd do it today, but yesterday he said he'd be in next week to do that. Instead, he's going to do the entry closet (new rod, two shelves going in, coat hooks)...I hope. (This is work I'm paying him for separately.)

I have one wall left to paint in the living room, hopefully on Sunday, and then I can set things to rights there. I can't get my lower hallway back to normal until the electrical is finished next week, as I'm having the old doorbell box thingie on the wall (so technical) removed and a new one installed, along with a new doorbell. Then I think the hall wall will need patching and touch-up painting. I'm also having my basement door replaced, it's waiting in the garage.

I have friends who have done multiple kitchen renos in a succession of homes and it blows my mind. Once in a lifetime is enough for me, thanks!

Such a pretty iris!



 
Then last evening after supper I took it into my head to start digging up the invasive ground cover that's choking out many of my other plants (you can see it in my previous post, I don't know what it's called). Worst thing I've ever planted; boy, do I regret it.

Anyway, I had a go with my spade and made good progress, though the roots are extensive. I'll have to get in there again and turn the ground up, pull up what I can.

The pile of leaves in the centre is what I dug/pulled up.



I didn't get what's growing under my step, so will have a go when I can, maybe on the weekend. I'm sure it will keep sprouting up for years, but at least if I get most of it out, it'll be easier to keep it from smothering everything else.

When I went to bed last night, I asked the boys (i.e. angels Derry and Nicki) what they thought of their extra large litter box. 😸 

Anyway, I'm so glad it's Friday, it's been a LONG week. Oh, the doctor's appointment on Wednesday for my knee was the best one of the week! The young resident was terrific, very pleasant. He gave me a requisition for an x-ray and I took vacation time from work to go out to the private clinic to have it done right away. (I didn't have to take personal time off, but I'd already missed so much work time for medical reasons this week that I felt better taking it as "vacation".)

I paid to get the results and they came in early this morning: As I surmised, it's osteoarthritis. Moderate in one area of the knee, mild in another. No surprise. And now the knee joins the osteoarthritis I already have had for years in my right foot and in an area of my back. I'll take the report with me to my next physio appointment, in case the diagnosis makes any difference to her treatment.

So that's it. Did I mention that it's been a long week?🙄

Take care, everyone; be well and be safe.

Comments

There's a crazy old song "Bits and Pieces, bits and Pieces" and your post shows that you've been having a lot of bits and pieces of just about everything reno and physical and I'd say mental! Just as long as the pieces fall into place sooner than late, lol. I know about the osteoarthritis in the knees and hands for me. I hope you find some kind of relief and help in that area. And it seems you are making great progress in the reno. I do not envy you. I would like nicer color flooring but in an eleven year old house we willnot spend the money or put up with the mess. I just try not to look down except for the sweeping, lol. Your hosta plants look better for having nothing around them to hide their beauty. I'd love them but here the deer eat not the leaves, just the beautiful flowers of course. Hope the weekend goes well for you. Lynn and Precious XX
My Mind's Eye said…
Kim it is absolutelly lovely! I like that you can accessorize with colors and fun items from each season.
I like the floor too.

I also have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I have it under control per se...to the point that I can take my EMW's w/o any problem. I've always heard Motion is Lotion to the joints.
Happy Weekend and pace yourself so that you don't aggravate the sore areas
We have renovated one kitchen...and about the only thing I'd do again is possibly have the wall paper removed. Walls repaired and painted. It would have been smarter to do that along with the renovation in 2006. Nothing wrong with the paper I like it alot.
Hugs Cecilia
My Mind's Eye said…
PS you garden looks very pretty and the purple flower oh my
Cecilia
Dearest Kim,
Almost June and look at all the things you got done and covered!
Time flies, even when we think the waiting takes always longer...
I've requested the guy to pressure wash the house, the patios, picket fence, rose arbor, gazebo and driveway and hoped that Pieter would get to see his clean place.
Didn't happen and one month since he went to heaven—still no show up.
It always feels so good when things are being well kept and clean.
Your kitchen is certainly coming along and as I write this, you might have your back splash coming in...
Oh, WHY are so many plants invasive?! They trick each and every one of us to be purchased as they look so nice—but wait!
Hugs,
Mariette + Kitties
K, the kitchen is looking awesome, it will be nice, when a month from
now…it’s a done deal 😺 and trying using full strength white vinegar
on the ground cover, when it’s sunny and hot, or somewhat hot. get
a spray bottle and spray it on the ground cover, it will help “ ree mooove”
it 😺‼️🐟🌿🌿
You will be so glad to have it finished, and it will look lovely. The iris is beautiful.
Things are looking very nice at your place, inside and out! I'm glad you got your knee xray results, that was quick. Have a terrific weekend.
The kitchen is coming along very nicely, Kim. Anxious to see the backsplash. Have always loved your garden with all your beautiful plants. The only thing missing are your angel boys.
Kea said…
Peggy, every time I'm out there I think the same thing. It's hard. I still have Derry's last lawn chair, I can't get rid of it. I've only now thought maybe I would be ready to use it myself. Maybe.
Rian said…
Kim, I like your kitchen countertop. Can't wait to see the backsplash.
And glad your knee doctor was kind. Osteoarthritis is pretty normal as you age. I have it in my spine. The first time a tech told me the results from my bone density years ago, she said that I had "degenerative disc disease" - sounds awful right? I asked her did she mean osteoarthritis? She said yes. My mind relaxed as that is pretty normal with age.
John Bellen said…
A lot of work done during the week, but I must write that the kitchen looks very nice, very nice indeed. (But multiple kitchen renovations? Yikes.) As for the arthritis, is there something that can alleviate that? And I think Derry would like you using his chair...
Maebeme said…
The kitchen looks terrific, and I'm sure you'll be very pleased when all of the work is complete. Renovations are not for the faint of heart, that's for certain!

The garden looks great - I'm sure the boys would be pleased.

Sorry to hear about the osteoarthritus. I do hope it can be managed.
meowmeowmans said…
Woot! That's some amazing progress on the kitchen reno, Kim! So happy for you. And look at that garden. Those hostas always remind me of your Angels.

I'm also glad you have a diagnosis for your knee. I have some pain in two of my fingers I need to get checked; I'm pretty sure it's arthritis, since my mom has it.
The J-Cats said…
What a beautiful iris!
As for the kitchen reno - looking forward to seeing it when it's all done!
The kitchen looks clean and fresh! It must be a relief to know that the end of this project is in sight.
The iris is beautiful ♥
I hope that physio helps to alleviate the pain from osteoarthritis.
OH-I love your backyard. It makes me think of a secret garden.
Take care.
Juno said…
I love your countertop!! Beautiful just like your garden! :)

Juno and mom
Katie Isabella said…
Kim, I am SO glad that the reno is as much as finished..I know..painting...but that isn't the same as the reno which is hard to deal with. I love that you still have Derry's chair. Please...you use it. Derry would love to see you doing that.

What us the invasive plant? I sure don't ever want to buy it!!