Kitchen Reno Day 4

I spent a good chunk of time in Home Depot on Saturday morning, and the rest of the day putting a couple of coats of paint on the kitchen ceiling and on the areas behind the fridge and stove. 


In between the coats, I puttered out in the little garden, trying to tidy things up. Does anyone else out there know how hard it is to dig up ferns that have taken hold and are spreading like wildfire, choking everything else out? 

Anyway, this morning the countertop guy came to measure...at 7 AM! I had NO idea what time he would be showing up, he was lucky I was even dressed. As it was, I hadn't even brushed my teeth yet, and when the knock came at the door, I was leaning half out my bedroom window, cleaning the outside of the window. Jeepers. Anyway, he told me it'll be three weeks (though it could be sooner). I get it, it's a quartz counter and they have plenty of other clients lined up before my little job!

At 8AM the installer showed up to do the baseboard trim and the crown moulding.



I'm pleased with how it looks! I'm glad I opted to take the cupboards up to the ceiling and have the crown moulding installed; I don't like a gap at the top of cabinets (which I've always had!), that space is just a dust collector.

Nothing is happening tomorrow, as the installer can't continue until (a) the electrical is done and (b) the countertops are installed. I'll paint the baseboard trim later today or tomorrow, though there's not much of it, so it won't take long. The crown moulding does not need paint, it's pre-finished. (Thank goodness!)

The electrician is coming Wednesday, presumably in the morning, but I don't have an ETA. I'll just make sure I'm not cleaning windows at 7 AM and that I've brushed my teeth. Ha!

After that, the installer will be back to put in the over-the-range microwave (it needs its own outlet), and then it'll be the few weeks' wait before the finishing touches. Oh, the door pulls/handles should be in, so maybe he'll put those on when he's here to do the microwave.

I hope I don't lose my sanity with all the mess here. I can't fathom how some people can live in clutter and dirt, this stresses me out greatly. Shudder.

Below: This is the front bedroom, now a guest room. Both my "office" and my spare back room are also filled. Don't even get me started on downstairs! It's driving me crazy. LOL. (Keep in mind it's all the stuff from the not only the kitchen, but also the dining and living areas, the downstairs hall and closet, plus the upstairs hall--the upstairs hall stuff has to be moved as I'm having an additional outlet installed up there.)


The back spare room, below:


Help! 😆

Anyway, thanks for stopping by! I'll leave you with a few pics from Saturday morning's walk to the bus stop.



Comments

Dearest Kim,
That starts looking really nice and indeed, no openings for collecting dust!
Wish I could swap with you instead of being handicapped and still having to do it solo since I lost my dear soulmate.
Life moves on!
Lovely spring photos.
Hugs,
Mariette + sad kitties
Kea said…
Mariette, I just left another comment on your most recent post. I am so very sorry that I did not understand that Pieter had also passed, along with your brother-in-law. You are in my thoughts and prayers. ❤️🙏❤️
Kim, the kitchen is really coming along very nicely. It will be so worth it in the long run.
I'd say you have lots of space left in that one bedroom, I see floor showing, lol. The cabinets look great with the molding up there to really finish them off. no counter tops, but you do have use of your sink, yes? That is a lot of work and it will look so nice when finished. I take it they work force is coordinating all the times for these return visits. Hope your neck and back are OK after the overhead painting. Lynn and Precious XX
Kea said…
Lynn, not my back or neck! But any progress I've made over the past 5 months of physio for my knee has been shot. Lol.
My Mind's Eye said…
OH MY goodness Kim I love how bright and shiny your kitchen looks and I 100% agree about the cabinets to the ceiling the crown molding is very classy too. Whew stuff everywhere is enough to make anywone crazy. Been there and it will be worth it and maybe even you can find things you don't need once you start to load up the cabinets.
Hugs Cecilia
It is looking really good so far and I think you're gonna be plenty pleased with the results!
John Bellen said…
I'd rather have everyone come early and get started, than later. But it would have been nice to have some warning. I think that if the cabinets in the kitchen had not gone to the ceiling, they would have been too short, and not been as useful. I like this better. It all looks like it is moving along - though I hate living in transition, too.
Maebeme said…
The kitchen is looking fresh and bright! It's too bad it will take so long for the countertop. I remember the delays in my kitchen reno and how nuts it made me having the kitchen stuff piled everywhere. I hope the delay is shorter than suggested.

Oh, by the way, the kitchen and living room ceilings at the old house need painting. Are you available for hire? :)

Lovely spring flowers!
meowmeowmans said…
Whoa! Things are really starting to move with your renovations, Kim. Even if it's cluttered and messy right now, it's looking so good, and it'll be wonderful when it's all done. :)

Love your flower shots. That ulip is amazing!
K

the kitchen is coming along very nicely. looks awesome ‼️😺

and I totally get it about the fern, I have something “ name long
forgotten “ that has become invasive, it’s on a trailer root
like ivy, that won’t kill off for anything…. very maddening 😼🤬😡
Poppy Q said…
The kitchen is looking good already Kim. I was thinking that at least you don't have to worry about a frightened kitty cat, with all the disruptions. You know what I mean.

Julie
Kea said…
Julie, I have thought that every day, the stress of it all would have made Derry sick with a cystistis flare up, off his food, etc. He had a hard time through the bathroom reno a couple of years ago, and with all the previous work too. Poor baby.
The J-Cats said…
Those flowers are so beautiful - especially the daffodils. Our Mummy says they were HER Mummy's favourite flowers.

Trixie, Caspurr and Shimshi