Is this the pinnacle of holiday consumerism?

I was in HomeSense/Winners on the weekend (I always like to browse, seldom buy) and saw these two Christmas cat condos.


Is this the pinnacle of Christmas consumerism? I mean, I suppose they're cute, but where do you store them for 10 or 11 months of the year?
 
BTW, I got chatting with a young mother on the bus over the weekend, and we were talking about "stuff." She told me about a 2009 video on the actual "story" of stuff, aptly named, "The Story of Stuff." It's and educational video, animated, and worth checking out if you're of a mind (about 21 minutes at normal speed; I played it at 1.25x normal). It's even more relevant today, IMO.

And look who has been showing up recently: Jake! I haven't seen him in a while.


There's always Fancy Feast to be found here and the mooches know it! (Jake has a nearby home, though not the same home as George.)

Take care, all.

Comments

ZOOLATRY said…
Read an article about the rise of "doomsday shopping" of late (feelings coming out of our Nov 6 debacle), apparently it makes "some" feel better to go out and needlessly buy what they've no need of: these would fit right into that category! Happy Holidays while running up your purr-sonal debt, and there's no Santa out there to help pay it off ...
My Mind's Eye said…
I agree about the seasonal cat condos. I say one for all seasons and maybe seasonal toys.
Hidey Ho Jake. Miss Kim is such a kind lady, always looking out for her neighbors.
Hugs Cecilia
I think I would stick with neutral color cat trees and condos. I'm only a fan of red and green in the Christmas season. Green leaves on trees I'd like year round, lol. Nice to get out and see what is for sale even when it does not come home with you. Something other than gallons of paint. Jake looks to be a happy chunk of a kitty. My kitty is getting a bit better about showing herself after we eat our noon dinner and staying out. Thankgoodness. Lynn and Precious XX
one fur ewe jake, one for ewe george ‼️😺🐟 merry christmas two ewe frum kim 🎅🏻🎅🏻🎅🏻😺💚💚
Dearest Kim,
Oh, consumerism is a sickening addiction!
The video is indeed even more relevant today.
All those invented holidays for decorating our front porches, insides, wearing special things... are 100% consumerism.
Especially the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas Season is a HUGE waste creation.
SAD and it does not add to happiness at all. The entire video does not mention the main ingredient for happiness. Faith, Family Country/Environment.
Jake no doubt loves the FF treats he is getting.
Hugs,
Mariette + Kitties
I like those Christmas package cubby stack, I'd leave them out all year LOL! Hello handsome Jake!
meowmeowmans said…
We were at a similar store recently, and commented exactly as you did, Kim. Either you need to want holiday-themed cat stuff year-round, or you have to store it somewhere. and we do NOT have room. How nice to see Jake again. He looks like he's enjoying that snack. :)
The ones that look like gifts are okay although I would take off the ribbon around it. The snowman is a different story though!
Maebeme said…
Friends once gave me a purple cat condo and I thought that was a bit much (even though I like purple). I can't imagine needing or wanting a holiday themed one, nor that a cat or two would care either.
Lucky Jake! He's a handsome boy.
John Bellen said…
Yes, you need storage for those cat-houses; you can put them with all the other Christmas items, wherever they are kept. And it's good to see Jake; I like it when I know the outsiders are still all right.