Wordy Wednesday: A little jaunt around

In keeping with May, June 1st (last Sunday) was chilly, more like April weather. Of course I picked that morning to go to Lake Ontario Park! I always pick the cold days to go for waterfront walks. (Note: The pics were snapped on Sunday, but I've posted essentially the same views many times over the years.) 
 


I wonder how long that tree will hold on!


Hardy folks, to be out in a speedboat when it was so cold!

 
What I didn't count on was all the midge flies! I thought they'd be done by now, but nope, there were swarms of them everywhere, and while they don't bite, they'll cover you from head to toe, get in your eyes, nose, mouth....they're gross. They were so bad that I had to abort the walk before I got to Portsmouth Olympic Harbour. Shudder. 
 
I swung away from the lake and walked to the downtown area instead.
 
Church of the Good Thief (Catholic), closed for quite a few years now.

St. James Anglican Church, on campus.

Side view of the old county courthouse. The front is undergoing restoration.

Fountain in front of the courthouse. Snapped from
the side to avoid the scaffolding all over the building.

Private residence across the street from the old courthouse.

The Rosemount Inn
 
It was much more enjoyable walking away from the water! A tea latté and a Portuguese custard tart from my favourite downtown café topped it off nicely.  :-)

Comments

Zoolatry said…
Old photos or not, still lovely to see. I'll say the tree is like your flag: strong and free, and yes, it will stand proud and hold on! Will you share the custard ...
Kea said…
Oh, to clarify, I snapped the pics on Sunday. It's just the same "old" scenes around town!
awesome photos !!! I like that house across from the courtyard....I'd pay to have it moved near that waterfall !!! how cool would that be ..... can you put on some type of "bug spray " natural or store bought to keep those flies away ? that wood be annoying to have them landing on oneself like that ~~~~~ =^..^=
Beautiful photos! I also love the photo of your late beloved mother and the Canada, strong and free flag. Very nice. Your mother looked like a beautiful lady. Thank you so much for sharing, I really appreciate and enjoy your posts.
I just wanted to add that the photos of your cats are also very pretty, and your mother was born on the same day as my father! December 19th! My father was born on December 19th, 1919.
My Mind's Eye said…
MOL MOLWas the chipmunk singing don't fence me in?
Kim I love the steeples...such beautiful churches.
The Rosemont Inn is lovely
Hugs and thanks for braving the cold to snap for us
Cecilia
Precious wants to know how her chippie made it all the way to you. She did not give a passport! I just so enjoy seeing buildings made of chiseled stone. They are always so impressive. Yes, I wore my parka on Sat and Sun when I walked. Now today it is 83 and steamy! Did an early ride before it got unbearable. And now rain is coming again! The waterfall is impressive. I imagine in the winter it is frozen beauty. Lynn and Precious XX
The architecture is lovely. It does look very cold by the lake though. When we were in Alaska the midges were terrible. Someone told me to get some Avon Skin So Soft spray and it would keep them away. Surprisingly it did!
So many pretty places in your neck of the woods!
meowmeowmans said…
Your photos at the park are wonderful, Kim. I especially loved the one of the chipmunk. And while I'm sorry the midge flies made you turn inland, I really enjoyed those shots around town. I LOVE the residence across the street from the old courthouse!
It looks like the waterfall from A Quiet Place
John Bellen said…
Wonderful photos: scenic and evocative. I love that private residence; it looks like a unique design. And that old tree looks to have some powerful roots; I hope they keep it in place for a long time yet.
Rian said…
Love the pics by the water... sorry about the midge flies. And that old residence across from the courthouse is great! Love that...such character! You have really lovely places to walk, Kim.
Ms. ~K said…
What an absolutely beautiful spot! We love camping in Canada but have never been to that area. Need to add it to our list. Thanks for taking us along! Kit, Kat, Rocky & Cali
Maebeme said…
Lovely photos! The wee chipmunk is so cute, and like others have said, the private residence is very unique. My daughter has always wanted to live in a house with a turret. Not happening any time soon...unless she wins a lottery.
Here's hoping the weather improves quickly for all of us. I'd like rain, you'd like sunshine!
The Island Cats said…
What lovely photos! You have some beautiful things to see in your area.