"The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men"

From the Robert Burns poem, "To a Mouse":
 
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
          Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
          For promis’d joy! 
 
In this case, the "best laid schemes" mean Dad's trip east. He and his wife were to fly into Montreal on the 18th, then she go on to Spain with her sister and Dad spend a week there visiting family and friends, then come here for a week before heading home.
 
Alas, he's been in the hospital since last Thursday with pneumonia and is on oxygen (and antibiotics). He's not at death's door, but because of the fluid in his lungs, he can't breath properly without that oxygen. They are reducing it now, so he's improving, but I suspect the recovery will be lengthy, given his age (he's coming up on 86 in a few weeks).
 
I WhatsApped (it's a real word now, right?) with him on Sunday, and he looks pretty good, sounds fine, all things considered. The fact that he's in good health and active otherwise is a plus, his heart condition well-managed.
 
But....While I've always had a complicated relationship with my dad, he's still seemed indomitable to me. I selfishly don't want him to be diminished, to become a frail old man. I don't think he's at that point yet, but it's a stark reminder of mortality and (again selfishly) that when he passes, I will be an orphan. 
 
Anyway. Enough of that. I took another waterfront walk on Sunday, will leave you with a few pics from that jaunt. Again, they're best viewed enlarged. You can tell it was a blustery, cool morning!
 
Thanks for reading...It helps to put my thoughts/worries out there, if you know what I mean.
 

The only  heron I've seen all summer!



This dog was happily chasing after rocks his "mom" was tossing in.


Penitentiary Museum

Another favourite home downtown. It used to be abandoned and overgrown, years ago, painted an ochre colour. I would walk by and make up stories in my mind about its history.

 

Comments

Maebeme said…
Oh Kim, I'm sorry that your Dad has fallen ill and can't visit. Glad that he is on the mend though, and hopefully can make the trip soon.
I understand how you feel about the time when your Dad won't be there any longer. While it has been 17 years since my Dad left us (Mom was five years earlier), I still wish for one more conversation, or even just time spent in their company.
That your Dad is able to WhatsApp with you is amazing, it's beyond my technical skills!
Good that you two can live chat to see each other that way. I am sorry he is so ill and it will take some time to recover. Your visit in your home would have been lovely. Let the words out and definitely let nature walks help clear things a bit. I get to enjoy your photos while you still have worries. Not really fair. Being an adult orphan takes a while to get used to. So many decades for both of us here now... I too would imagine life inside that last home. Nice someone has obviously saved it. Lynn and Precious XX
Katie Isabella said…
Oh Kim, I am so sorry about your Dad. I hope to goodness he progresses well and as quickly as possible. I understand as do a lot of us here I am sure. When my Dad passed, that left me an orphan too. Like you, I realize that our own age does to factor into how awful it is to have lost both parents and they are not here any longer to turn to...not in sadness nor in joy. That feeling never really goes away. XXO
kim, so very sorry your dad cant make the trip, perhaps around the holidays when he’s better, you both can chillax together and enjoy each other’s company in “ real time “. I understand what you mean; we get it in our heads that parents
and grandparents are supposed to live for ages and ages. I hope the meds clear his lungs and he’s on the road to health and recovery, being on oxygen isn’t a fun way to spend the day, even though it’s a blessing. great photos, that
house re do is awesome 😸‼️💙🦋
We're sending healing purrs and prayers to your Dad.
We're sending all the best to your Dad, I'm glad he is getting the care he needs. Love the waterfront, always!
I am sorry your dad is ill and hope he makes a good recovery. My dad died when I was five and spent a lot of time in hospital before that. I don't really remember him, but sometimes get a vague memory from photos. I was 30 when my mum died, and although we never had the perfect mother/ daughter relationship, I do miss her and wish we could talk. I never really thought of myself as an orphan, but I have been an orphan for 43 years!
Lovely waterfront photos. That is a beautiful building and house.
Dear friend, I am praying 🙏 for your father. Beautiful ❤️ photos.
Poppy Q said…
I hope your dad continues to improve. Sorry that his holiday plans with you have changed. Thinking of you 🤗
catladymac said…
Purrayers for your Dad's continued recovery !
meowmeowmans said…
Beautiful photos, Kim. I'm sorry to hear your dad is ill, but encouraged to read that he seems to be doing better. Sending light and healing thoughts for him, and love and encouragement for you.
messymimi said…
I am sorry to hear your father can't come visit right now. It's so hard. My father is 89, and mama is 86, she's almost bedbound and he's not much better off. Every day is a gift, I hope he recovers and you get to have a good visit soon.
John Bellen said…
It was no doubt frightening to have your father have to stay in hospital, but he's receiving good care, his condition is improving, and he'll be out again soon. He's 86, and still travelling about! That shows he's in good shape. Once the pneumonia is conquered - not an affliction to belittle, but at least on its way out - you'll see him again. As for the pictures, it always gladdens me when an old house is restored. It lives again.
My Mind's Eye said…
Kim sending many good thoughts for continuing health improvement for Dad. I recall all the years ago when he came to help with all they work around the house. We have such good memories of our parents in their prime. I enjoyed all the photos too
Hugs Cecilia
The J-Cats said…
Sorry to read that your Dad is ill. Sending best wishes and prayers for a full and swift recovery.
Ms. ~K said…
Hope your dad had improved. Sending pawsitive thoughts❣️ Kit, Kat, Rocky & Cali