Fragmented Friday Ramblings

Anyone have a word beginning with "f" that means the same as "ramblings" in this context? I could have reached new alliterative heights.

Well.

For one thing, we have sunshine. Gasp! I know, I know, I can hardly believe it myself. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera with me today, so can't prove it. It's cold, though. As in a windchill of -17C earlier this morning. Spring? Spring! Feel free to arrive any time now. Don't feel you have to wait until oh, April.

I just got an update on my cousin, who had a mastectomy on Wednesday. She is doing well, still in hospital. She'll be released when she can manage on over-the-counter pain medication, so possibly later today or tomorrow. (She's in British Columbia, Pacific time). It will be about 2 weeks before the test results on the mass come back, after which a course of treatment will be decided upon. Three weeks is the estimate for surgery recovery, and as well as her husband (who has to return to work soon), she has one of her brothers visiting to help with the dogs. (All the Siberian Huskies she breeds and trains.)

Oh, I tried the melatonin last night. You know, for sleep. (I did find some, at another drugstore.) It's supposed to reset your circadian rhythm. I don't know what I was expecting. Something dire, perhaps, from the warnings on the bottle: Don't take it if you have high blood pressure (I'm borderline), don't take it if you get migraines (yep), don't take it if you have depression. (On that I did some research and discovered that there is evidence to suggest melatonin boosts serotonin, so you would not take it if taking an SSRI. Which meant I was fine.) Don't take it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

What the heck?

Melatonin is a hormone produced in the pituitary gland, for crying out loud. Anyway, most of the side effects are very rare and are exhibited at higher doses. I took one 3-mg pill. It certainly didn't prevent me from waking in the night; I did so three or four times. But it did prevent me from staying awake. I was awake and up just after 3:30AM, though, per usual. I felt oh, not heavy, but very relaxed. Languid. Like I could drift into a doze while curled up in a comfy, overstuffed chair. Not thick-headed or groggy per se, as you would feel after taking an over-the-counter sleep aid or a night-time cold/flu pill, but definitely not quite with it. I can see why the bottle states not to drive for five hours after taking it. Frankly, after twelve hours, I still would not have wanted to be behind the wheel. Good thing I don't own a car!

Hmm, well, exciting for me: I have a hair cut tomorrow morning. LOL. Hey, just because I'm a low-maintenance female doesn't mean I don't have any vanities at all. My hair is my only one, I think. Goddess knows I don't fuss with clothes, makeup or nails. Gaggghhh! I'm clean. I'm neat. *Shrugs* That's good enough. I'd rather be hiking through the woods, camera in hand, or be playing with the cats than spend my time getting manicures and facials. I've never even had them. I'm sure they're relaxing, and just as soon as I win the lottery, I'll consider devoting a day a month to spa treatments. In the meantime, just give me clean clothes. Ironing optional. (Er, where is my iron?)

So that's about all for the fragmented rambles. This is "Musings on a Small Life," after all.

Photobucket

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Hi

And what lovely musings they are too!

I'm glad to hear your cousin is as well as can be after surgery. I hope she's resting as much as she can. It's one day at a time, taking things easy and rest, rest, rest. Any news about her dogs? I do hope they're ok too.

Big healthy hugs to her!

Oh and I don't own a car too! I can't drive for a start and don't want to. Public transport and my legs take me where I want to go. That'll do me.

I've not heard of melatonin - but it looks like its helped you feel rested which is all to the good! Did the effects wear off eventually? Mind you I do like that feeling of just wanting to curl up in a comfy chair and drift off but maybe not all the time!

And hey!! A haircut!! Is it going to be a drastic cut or a new hair style? How exciting! Well I'm excited for you! I'm the vainest person on this planet and I'm afraid my latent girly-whirly phase has come out with a vengeance. I could get quite trivial - but the way I see it - it's me-time, I pamper me. LOL!

As for irons and ironing... these things were not meant to be is all I can say.

:-)

Take care

x
Kea said…
Nope, Old Kitty, not a new hair style. My hair already is too short to anything new; I'd have to grow it out!