Vet killer in the making

So I took Annie in to the vet today, to have her blood work. Figured I'd take her on a Saturday morning, so I didn't have to take off from work.

I also took Nicki along, to have his nails clipped and his Advantage applied--which you would think would be easy, but isn't. He totally freaks as soon as he gets a whiff; last year I had him shut up in an 8x10 room with no where to hide and he was literally up the walls trying to get away. I had a hell of a time catching him--seriously--and had to sit on him to apply it. He hid from me for 2 - 3 days afterward. So I thought I'd make it easy on me this time and have the tech do it, plus get his nails trimmed at the same time. And Nicki was fine, except for his incessant yeowling as soon as I put him in the carrier. He cried ceaselessly until he got home. Other than that, he was a good boy.

It was Annie....Annie who always is difficult at the vet. In fact, I could hear her this morning, in the back, and it wasn't pretty. The young woman (Ashley) came out and asked me to please not bring Annie in again on a Saturday, as there's only one tech and a couple of receptionists on duty (one of whom has to be out front for patients) and not enough people to hold her. Seriously. I was so embarrassed! I asked if she bit anyone, and no, she didn't. But two people really aren't enough to manage her, she needs three...or four...to hold her down to get the blood and shave under her armpits/chest (for the transdermal med application). They couldn't get her inner ear tufts.

I apologized half a dozen times, figured they'd need a couple of people, had no idea Annie required an entire crew. :-O


As for the fence....I went to Home Depot a short time ago (just got home about half an hour ago) and looked at the Virola plywood. That stuff's not weather-proof, what a crock of shit from handyman #1, Gary. Seriously. Even pressure-treated, it's going to rot. And it's not that smooth, either.

They don't carry sheets of tin.

They do carry PALRUF corrugated PVC sheets that I think would do the trick, 2ft x 8ft at $19 per sheet. I think I'd need about 26 sheets for the fence, so the cost of that alone would be over $500. However, I'd be willing to pay for it, because I can't see how Nicki could climb it. I have no idea how anyone would fit it over the fence and how they'd fiddle with the angled corner, but that's for a "professional" to figure out. And depending on how far down the fence they put the stuff, there might need to be some sort of support frame above the fence, for those sheets. You can't have that stuff sticking up 4 or 5 feet above the fence and flapping in the wind. On the plus side, if I did have that stuff sticking up 4 feet or so above the fence, I sure as heck wouldn't need any kind of angled lattice or "roof" because even Nicki couldn't jump 10-12 feet with nothing to hang on to.

I had emailed Gary yesterday AM from work about the possibility of using this kind of stuff and he said he'd hold off on doing a quote, let me check it out at Home Depot. I'll email him back on Monday and tell him to forget the plywood and if he's still willing, to give me a quote using the PALRUF stuff. I'm figuring it's going to run me closer to $1500. Ouch, ouch, ouch. But I suppose if it lasted, stood up to weather and was Nicki-proof, it would be worth it for the peace of mind, in the long run.

I haven't heard back from Kevin, but I'll get in touch with him too, on Monday. And suck it up and pay to get this done ASAP. I'm tired of all this dicking around now.

So that's how things stand right now. I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, and that those of you in the U.S. are enjoying the holiday!

Photobucket

Comments

Jacqueline said…
I feel your pain over Annie; Halle, my smallest kitty (6.4 lbs) took 4 people to hold her down last month to get blood work and shots!...Years ago, when I tried with a boyfriend holding her to give her meds by mouth (she was wrapped in a towel and he was pretty strong!), she tore us both up and amazed us with her strength!!...I now pay more to have Halle get antibiotic shots that last a week if she is sick!...It is frustrating how they can fight us so viciously when we are only trying to help them!
Katnip Lounge said…
Holy Cats! Could the vet give Annie some gas while she's inside her carrier to smooth her out a little? That way she sees spotted pink mousies (LOL!)and everyone else keeps their hide intact. I've never had a fighter like that...wow!
Anonymous said…
Is it only me who thinks the tech was rude? I mean, sure Annie is difficult and needs a crew... but if they're open on a Saturday and not explicitely mentioning that they are running on reduced staff... who's fault is it really?

Anyway, this is Reenie- Sherkhan's human. Found your blog and would like to add it to the cat human section in Sherkhan's blog- if that's alright with you?
Old Kitty said…
Hi

Oh I agree with Reenie!!! Techs/vets whatever shouldn't be asking you to not bring Annie because it's inconvenient for them!! The cheeky so and so's! I've never heard such a thing!!! It's they who is the problem and not you or the lovely and wonderful Annie!! Please don't feel put off by this person. I would ask her manager for clarification at the very least!
GO ANNIE!! These people are trained to hold down lions for crying out loud. Ooooh - poor you and Annie.

Good luck with the quotes and with Kevin. Well done you for checking out the plausibility of this Virola plywood!

I've just realised I missed a whole load of blog posts because I was watching Eurovision (three and a half hours of trash tv -yay!)LOL!

Take care
x