And Life Goes On...

When I got home this afternoon there was a message from my mom to call her, that she had news about...and I couldn't get the remainder of what she had said. Figured it was something fairly serious.

Yes, Mom's oldest friend in Halifax was diagnosed yesterday with pancreatic cancer, too far along for any treatment, has been given six months at most.

I'm at loss as to what to say.

I haven't seen Sheilah in 5.5 years, the last time I was in Halifax, but she and Mom worked downtown together (not the same provincial government department) and I saw a fair bit of her when I was younger. She has a daughter about my age, a son-in-law, two grandchildren. Always has had short-haired white cats, male, one at a time--all named Snowball, after the original Snowball.

She'd been feeling unwell this summer, Mom told me recently. Was diagnosed with a bladder and bowel infection not long ago. Had a body scan yesterday, doctor called her last night with the news. Not a bladder and bowel infection at all.

Sheilah's my mom's age, 70-ish. Which, now that I'm getting closer to 50, doesn't seem so old at all.

Mom spoke with Sheilah's daughter today and they are going to move her out of her apartment and into their house.

I was thinking of this, shocked and saddened, while doing two loads of laundry and the vacuuming and while sitting outside with the cats, snapping pics of Derry with his purple pipe cleaner. Thinking that we still have to live. That life just...continues...in the face of terrible events and you have to move along with it, until it's your time to stop.

You know, the older I get the more confusing everything gets too. I'm glad I'm not 20-something anymore, but boy, at least I had the Universe all figured out then, and my place in it. I certainly can't say the same now.

Think I'll have some of that dark chocolate I bought yesterday.

And I'll be sending Light to Sheilah for grace and mercy as she transitions from this life into whatever follows, or perhaps into star dust or even into nothingness.

Photobucket

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's friend. Terrible awful news, I'm truly sorry. I'm glad her daughter is moving their mum in with them - it's a great comfort to be surrounded by loved ones at this time.

I guess there's no way to try and figure out the universe and our place in it!! It's difficult really. All I know is that I too would hate to be 20-something again. I was miserable then. I'm more stable now! But yeah - middle age beckons big time and it;s like - yikes!!! Time for chocolate!! Take care
x
Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear about Sheilah...

The more we grow older, the more we know that what we have wrapped around our fingers is not the 'whole' world... I guess that is what growing up is.

Hugs, Kea.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Truly sorry to hear about Shelia.

I guess the old cliche about the older you get the less you know is absolutely on target.

It is for me.
Like you, in my teens and 20's I thought I had it all figured out. I think as we grow we learn that the universe is far more vast and that each day brings new challenges.

I will keep Shelia and her family in my prayers...and as a cat owner I have to say I will say a purrayer for Snowball as well.
Admiral Hestorb said…
I am truly sorry to learn about your mom's dear friend. What a shocking thing for her and I can imagine what it must be for her family and friends. And I can feel for you too..I have had a similar walk in life regards friends and family..and one day, they will take that walk for me.

(HUG) The Admiral's mom
Jacqueline said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's friend; life is too short no matter what age death comes...News of terminal illness is such a shock to everyone; my sincere condolances to Sheilah and all who love her...Wishing everyone comfort at this sad time.
I'm so sad for your mom's friend. What a terrible shock for all concerned. We're sending comfort to them all.

Jan (and Milo and Alfie)