But I don't WANT to be eligible for jury duty

Lucky me! I got the jury eligibility questionnaire in the mail today. It asks questions like whether I'm a Canadian citizen, if I'm over 18, if I have any physical or mental health conditions that would prevent me from serving, if my work prevents me from serving (certain professions) and whether I've been convicted of a criminal offense. No room to state that if I'm ever chosen and have to be sequestered, the lawyers better be paying for a cat sitter to the tune of $50 per day. Oh, and paying what would no doubt be another vet bill for Derry too. No room to express the many obnoxious opinions I have.

Gosh, I'm so excited. Rebel that I am, I ignored the instructions to mark an "X" and put check marks instead. No doubt that will hasten my being called for selection--creative, free-thinker and all that. Woohoo. Something to look forward to.

Comments

Saku said…
Just a hint...if you do get selected, when they ask you if you've ever heard of the case, say yes and that you think he or she is guilty. They'll drop you like a hot potato!
Kea said…
Is that based on your own personal experience? LOL. I'd better be paying more attention to the news so I don't have to lie!
MTVA said…
Oh, that feeling of dread upon seeing a jury notice in your mail! Such a tedious process, and very uninteresting to me. I can't stand anything related to courts, lawyers and all that, have never even watched tv programs dealing with it. Here's hoping you will be set free very early in the process.
Katnip Lounge said…
I declared (when asked in the voir dire) that I think drugs should be legalized. And Taxed.

EXCUSED!
Fuzzy Tales said…
I happen to agree, actually, Trish. Maybe I'll get called for a drug case. LOL.
Old Kitty said…
Oh noes!! Don't hate me but I'd love to be on jury duty!! LOL!! Although everyone I know whose been on it says the worst is the wait! And the canteen food!

Take care
x
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Since criminology was my major in college I love being picked for jury duty have sat on 4 out of 5 chances and got on a Murder 1/death penalty case. I find it fascinating. I want to serve. But I understand why people don't want to. During voir dire it is very easy to get disqualified if you so chose.
I read Eileen's comment aboveand she is 100% CORRECT!
I've done it twice. I was excited the first time, but it was so frustrating, with too many stupid people on the jury. The second time was just last spring. The entire first day was just jury selection. OMG! How long can we drag this out.

Be very vocal. Comment on everything. Express your thoughts like Eileen said and make references to personal history, like you or a relative in the same situation, etc. Don't say yes when they ask if you could put that aside and make an unbiased decision. Every time you make a comment, the lawyers start scribbling on their pads. Be a pain in the butt. The other jurors will hate you, but you'll never see them again. You'll be excused. I was. I pretty much told the 40 year old defense lawyer he was an idiot by asking if this was his first case. I was home by 6pm.