Winding up the week

So it took about 30 hours before I started to feel significantly better after the injection. Three days after the fact, I would say it's helped for that area, though not for the glutes. Sitting all day at work still is somewhat uncomfortable. I'm not certain I'd have the needle again. Therapy of some sort instead, perhaps. Which I likely will end up doing anyway.
***
I've been reading an executive summary of the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. A coworker has the book, but I don't have the patience or focus to wade through anything of length. (Isn't that sad? I remember when I did and could, and it wasn't that long ago.)

Anyway, even the exec summary helps explain a few things. Of course for decades I've been aware I'm introverted, and have known for a number of years that there are actual differences in parts of the brain between introverts and extroverts. But some things that I've chalked up to my mental health issues, such as my sensitivity, actually might be more related to the introversion. That and the "horror" of small talk. (I love how that was stated. Not that we're antisocial, that we do like to engage in deeper conversation one-on-one, but we have a "horror of small talk." Yep.)

It's exceedingly difficult to be an introvert in a culture that values only extroverts in every facet, from education to business to church, etc. No wonder I go home exhausted every day.
***
I'm taking a week's vacation (staycation) the first week in August. The Monday is a holiday anyway, so I'll use only 4 vacation days and I'll still have a week for Dad and Hélène in September, if they make it here. (And if they don't for some reason, I probably would take a week regardless.)

I'm looking forward to schlepping around in lounge clothes and doing as little as possible. (Have a couple of appointments scheduled already.) I'm not even going to pretend I'll get anything useful done in the house.
***
I guess the big news this week is that my work position is being upgraded. I knew it was in the works, has been since January, but I found out yesterday that it will be bumped up two grades. That's a pretty significant jump and I confess that when I read the position summary yesterday I was almost physically ill. For the record, I had hoped the position would be upgraded one level, never imagined two. The summary of the "new" position is...daunting. (Same job, which is quite different from the original job description, when I was hired 13.5 years ago. But the language used in the description makes it seem far, far more than what I do, IMO.) I actually had to clarify a few things with my "big" boss before I felt comfortable signing the document.

Most people probably would be over-the-moon for a job upgrade like this; trust me not to be. The increase in net income still won't be enough to even begin to dig myself out of debt, and of course it will make it even harder to ditch my job and life and run away from home, pick up elsewhere. You know, on those days each month when I desperately want to.  :-)

Anyway, this won't take effect until the end of the summer, if all goes well, so I'll just have to see how it plays out when fall rolls around.
***
And that's another exciting week at my end. I'll keep my fingers crossed for quiet and serenity on the home front this weekend, because the current noise level at the office is driving this introvert batty.

Peace.

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Kim that was excellent news about your position! Every bit helps!!! Glad too to hear that you felt some relief from the injection. I'm no good at 'small talk' either. I do not like large groups, in fact one on one is best for me. Partly because of my hearing these days it is hard for me to be able to hear everything. There is something to be said for having all of your parts! MOL Including hearing.
Annie Bear said…
I have to say I would love for my job to be upgraded in pay. It's hard to imagine it being more demanding but I guess it's possible. I hope you'll be happy about it at some point.

I also much prefer real, more meaningful conversations, one on one or in a very small group.

I hope you get some quiet over the weekend. Your vacation sounds great!
Kea said…
I'm not UNhappy about the upgrade, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. It's the same work, really, but will expectations from the big boss be different? I don't know. Any extra income definitely is welcome, though that too is double-edged. A push into a new tax bracket means a bigger chunk of the paycheque gone, so in the end, it probably won't net out to a significant increase.
The Cat Guy said…
Never a dull day with you! Yikes. I like to stay away from needles. Blah.

The new job upgrade sounds like it might require a lot. I hope the extra compensation matches the extra demands.

Oh, and I like what you have done with the place. The blog remodel is lovely! Have a lovely weekend.
vic said…
Being an introvert myself I have read that book and it is very good and makes a lot of valid points.

The job upgrade sounds promising and surely it means that your contribution to the work load is exemplary. Good to know that this is being recognized, don't you think?

Wish I knew what those flowers are on your background. They are so beautiful and delicate looking. I'd love to have some of them in my garden.
I have often been labelled an extrovert because I tend to mingle easily with strangers. Is it possible for a person to be labelled an extrovert when she actually avoids people? Hmmm. ;)

Congratulations on your promotion. I would look at it as the company recognizing your contributions to give you a two grade promotion. Well done!
meowmeowmans said…
I am glad to hear the injection has made a difference for you, Kim!

And congrats on your position at work. I totally get what you're talking about with the big upgrade -- I still feel that way at my job ... there's always more and more responsibility and visibility ... scary! But you will do great, I know it!
John Bellen said…
I know what you mean about introverts/extroverts. Not only does society value extroverts more, but it values similarity. Society likes to celebrate diversity but, like democracy and freedom, it's something that is honoured more in the word than the deed. Difference is tolerated as long as it is superficial (eg. clothing, hairstyle); if it is profound, it is viewed with suspicion and hostility. And society isn't getting better about it, I'm afraid.
John Bellen said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.