Monday Miscellany
Somehow these Mondays roll around too quickly.
The weekend was uneventful, quiet. I expect the "fleas" are home now, can't imagine otherwise, what with school starting next week. They must have been quite late getting home, though, as I was up at 10PM (sound of girls screaming outside my fence woke me) and the neighbours weren't yet back. The car was in the driveway at 4:30AM, though.
BTW, the screaming that woke me -- at first I thought it was one of the cats, screaming in pain and dying from a blood clot, as happened with Chumley. Can't tell you how many years THAT took off my life. However, the girls were running around with flashlights, back behind my fence, and they didn't linger once I got up and flicked on my back light, took a look outside. (No damage to the fence; I checked this morning.)
It took me a while to settle down after that, though, my heart in my throat and almost literally sick with fear.
I'd like to have one day -- one day -- where I don't think/worry about sickness and death, the cats', mine or someone else's. Sheesh.
***
Nicki has been coughing a lot the past 2 - 3 weeks. I had him down to about 0.1 ml (or 1.0 mg) Prednisolone every 36 hours, pushed to 48 hours for a few doses, and then he started coughing again. Now I've had to go back to giving him the meds every day, upped the dose to 0.125 ml this morning. I don't know if I "derailed" him a few weeks ago, trying to extend the time frame, or if it's because we're heading into fall and allergies are kicking into higher gear again. Right now, though, I'd be happy to have him back at 0.1 ml every 36 hours. Goes to show everything's a matter of perspective.
***
I'm supposed to have my upper side window (remember, my unit is an end one) replaced on Wednesday, weather-permitting. I had put in for it back in early July, knowing it wouldn't be until the new fiscal year (starting August 1 for our condo corporation). The installer is doing another one across the street first thing; he should start on mine mid- to late morning. I'm not putting a note on the neighbours' mailbox, as I did for the two back windows last February or March. This side window is as far from their unit as possible and can't impact them. Plus, I deliberately chose the second appointment, so I wouldn't wake anyone.
At some point, the 11-year old bedroom window will have to be replaced, as it was a poor job (different installer) back in 2003, and I get frost on the inside of that one too, but I know it won't be done until at least 2015-16 or even later.
The joys of a crappy townhouse/condo complex.
***
I can't think of much else. Well, there is a whole, long story about someone who was volunteering for us at work for a few weeks...kind of creepy and weird, but my "old" boss asked her to leave on Friday morning, and we hope that will be the end of it. She wasn't qualified to do the work anyway, in spite of her claims on her resume. (Didn't even know to do a basic Excel chart or what "median" was in math terms, though she supposedly had a Masters degree in Biology. Uh, right. Don't think so.)
Anyway, it was an interesting few weeks (lots more to it), but suffice to say we're all glad she's gone...and so are the other office suites/departments she was inappropriately skulking around in. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back, it's a public building after all, but any further intrusions would be up to the units to deal with, with or without the aid of Security.
And that, as they say, is that!
I'll leave you with this cutie groundhog, spied last Friday morning, walking down to the office.
Peace.
Comments
As for not thinking about sickness, etc., that is unfortunately one of the problems with growing up and being responsible. I sometimes wish to be a child again, but with all my current knowledge. But I know I'd never recapture the feeling, the innocence of childhood. We have too much fear as adults, which most children hopefully don't experience. The joys the adulthood. Where exactly are the advantages to growing up?
But as for the responsibility, I have a lot of days wherein I'd like to abdicate it all...just for a short time, a few days' break. Okay, maybe a week of not having to deal with anything or worry about anything. :-)
As for the girls, ditto, I'm glad whatever they were doing didn't involve graffiti or damage.
I'm sorry it brought back bad memories for you. Those are things I don't think we ever get past. If only menopause memory would erase the long term bad ones! Sadly it's usually the short term that goes instead.
Here's hoping Nicki get's back on track, poor boy! Not only for his sake but so your worries are reduced too.
Have a great week (with limited noise from the annoying fleas!)
I'm glad the screaming turned out to not be anything but how awful to have to hear it. I sure hope Nicki's cough gets better. I used to worry about ongoing pred usage but have met several people who have given it to their cats for years with no adverse effects (for whatever that's worth). I so agree with Katie's mom. It's so hard to know what's right sometimes with them.