When good root canals go bad

Well, apparently I have a very bad infection, as I have absolutely agonizing pain from the lower jaw/throat right up into the ear and up the side of my face. (Yesterday I was merely sore/uncomfortable, as one might expect.) I popped into the endodontist's office first thing this morning to ask for pain killers and he gave me a prescription for 2 antibiotics plus Tylenol 3s. (I've been awake since 12:30 AM, unable to sleep with the pain.) I filled the prescriptions at the drugstore on our campus, rather than my regular pharmacy (not easily accessible to me today), then came home. I've taken the first (double dose) of antibiotics and now am waiting to see if I have a life-threatening reaction to them. As for the Tylenol 3s, I'm too scared to take them! 

So, guys, there's a reason I heard so many horror stories from people who have had root canals!

Peace.

P.S. If you feel like sending some healing energy, I wouldn't object.

Comments

Cat Lover said…
Kim, sending much healing energy right now! Hoping your are feeling better soon.
(((Hugs)))
Rian said…
Same here, Kim. Sending you good thoughts and healing energy. So sorry about the infection. Sometimes they start you on antibiotics before the root canal. And as far as Tylenol 3 is concerned, I did take Tylenol 4 when I had really bad migraines when I was young. They are strong... and they do take away the pain... just be careful.
Random Felines said…
oh no....I've had a couple and never had issues but I can't begin to imagine what you are feeling. maybe try a hot pad against your jaw to help with the pain
John Bellen said…
Please, take one of the Tylenol pills, or half of one; you'll feel much better. What a terrible development. The anti-biotic will work its magic, especially since I doubt you've had much cause to take it before. The infection won't know what hit it. Take some of the pain-killer, put on some soothing music and try to relax with the boys. The best of luck to you.
Kim; sorry; while I've never had root canal; knock wood; I've had tooth trouble and it's the worst. Sending healing energy that the pain subsides; don't know if plain aspirin would be as effective as the tylenol or not; and silly as it sounds stay away from any and all caffeine, regardless of what it's in ~~ ♥♥♥
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I've not had a root canal either (knock on wood)....{yet} but I'm so sorry you had an infection I'm not sure if you meant you had it before the root canal or if the root canal caused it either way I know it's not good. I do recall when I had my crown last month the Dentist kept saying things about possibilities of a root canal for me but so far so good with just sticking with the crown, that in itself was bad enough for me! I hope you feel better and definitely take those Tylenol 3's!
Poppy Q said…
Oh no, you poor thing tooth pain is the worst. We agree - you should take your pills to see if they could ease the pain.
Anonymous said…
Oh, Kim, I feel so sorry for you. I was a dental assistant many years ago. I assisted in many root canals. They can be a serious problem if there is still infection. I hope your specialist can resolve this quickly for you. Please take care! Hugs.
The pain can be horrible...sadly I can relate. I'm with John, do try to take the pills, or at least half a one. I was so scared to take mine (not quite the same thing but still strong), that I called family members first. I'm sending you healing thoughts. Hoping the pills take effect soon. It's going to be OK... Gentle head bops from Emily and purrs from the boys.
BeadedTail said…
Oh noes! I'm so sorry to hear that! I haven't dealt with that with my root canals but I do know how horrible mouth/tooth pain can be. Sending healing purrs!
meowmeowmans said…
Aw, darn it. We're sorry to hear you've had complications with your root canal. Mouth pain sucks so bad. Please, if you need to, take the Tylenol 3s. You can always take regular Ibuprofen or something like that first, to see if it will suffice. Hugs, purrs and prayers...
Sending healing energy and purrs to you! Absolutely nothing is worse than tooth pain.
SuziQCat said…
Sending good thoughts for healing and reduced pain. Hope the meds kick in soon!