A "bad" bug?

Nicki had me in a real panic on Tuesday evening.

Who, me?

I won't go into the nitty gritty details, suffice to say that he was "off" for much of the evening and wasn't able to keep any food down (as I later discovered). Around 7 PM I found him lying flat on his side on the hall runner, conscious but not moving.

I went into full panic mode, of course, rushed first to him (he followed my fingers with his eyes and his breathing was okay), then upstairs to throw some "real" clothes on so I could take him to the emergency vet. My first thought was a blockage from his kidney stones, with a dozen other scenarios running through my mind after that. Once upstairs, I found that he had thrown up everywhere, made a real mess, poor boy.

When I raced back down, a short time later, Nicki was a bit perkier and got up, walked normally into the living room. *Whew*

I had (have) slippery elm bark powder on hand, thank goodness, mixed a tiny bit with water and syringed that into him. That seemed to settle his stomach, and he later was able to keep about 1 tablespoon of kibble and 2 teaspoons of canned down (not all at once). 

He still wasn't back to normal yesterday (Wednesday) morning, would only eat kibble, wouldn't touch any of the three brands of canned I put down. But by yesterday after work he was okay, ate a variety of canned as well as his usual bit of dry.

Whatever it was, he seems to have purged himself of it (all over my area rug in the upper hall), and seems to be back to his normal self, or almost fully back, he hasn't been too bratty yet. He did his business in the litter box as usual late yesterday too, so that was good.

There's nothing different in the garden this spring, so my best guess is he foolishly ate a "bad" bug of some sort. I can't think what else it might have been! Nicki was just at the vet on the 13th, his blood work was normal, etc. Anyway, as long as he (and Derry) are okay, I'm happy.

Just don't do that again, Nicki!

Peace.

Comments

dood....be jezuz....scare de H outta yur mom and all oh uz.....

thanx be two de codz in de seaz ...yur aye oh kay N st francis'
blessingz ya stay that way... ya may haz ate a bug ore purrhaps
yur canned goodz were funkee ??

stay well buddy :) ♥♥

Kea said…
I thought of the canned too, though Derry was fine and he eats the same foods. Nicki does have the more sensitive digestive system of the two, however.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Oh Nicki I am glad you're doing better!
Rian said…
Those scares are upsetting. So sorry Nicki went through that. We've had similar ones here with our 3... and never knew what caused it (and ours don't go outside at all). Glad he seems to be over it.
Maebeme said…
Goodness Nicki, you sure gave your mom a scare! (Ours would have panicked too). We think you ate something you ought not to...sure glad you're feeling some better.
We are also happy to hear that Nicki is feeling better.
WE purr that it was an isolated incident ahd that he will be feeling good for a good while :)
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ
Katie Isabella said…
Oh KIM! That was a horror of horrors! What's worse unless we ourselves get horribly ill. Thank heavens he is better. I take it the vomit was "normal" in appearance? No blood, no odd color? That was a scare that would take a year off my life. And on his side? Unmoving..I'd be in my real clothes too and doing a three stooges all by myself trying to get us into the car and gone. Bless your hearts!
Nicki-Please do NOT do that to us, and especially your Mom again!
I'm glad he is feeling better and is starting to act like himself again.
I hope you are getting over your scare as well. I know all to well that panic mode you just described.
Hoping you and the boys have a delightfully boring rest of the wek.
Poppy Q said…
Sorry to hear that you had a tummy upset Nicki. It happens sometimes. Our old cat puss had an incident after a dinner of chicken necks. Mum was not pleased as it occured in the middle of the new duvet cover and inner on the spare bed that mum made up for guests. That will teach her.
Kea said…
It wasn't that he threw up so much, it was that he was lying on his side and not moving. That sent my adrenaline soaring.

The chicken neck incident would have been exceptionally gross. LOL.
Kea said…
Yeah, it was on his side, unmoving, that totally panicked me. Throwing up is pretty commonplace.

The other huge stress is having to wait for a taxi to show up, then get all the way out to the west end of the city to the emerg vet. I've had to do it before with both Annie and Nicki and oh, it's just awful, the wait for a cab.
meowmeowmans said…
Oh my gosh, Kim. That must have been so scary! We would have went into crisis mode, too. Glad to hear Nicki is on the upswing. Hey Nicki ... no more eating bugs, okay???
Annie Bear said…
Oh, I totally understand the panic. Gosh, Nicki, you scared us all!
Oh, gosh, Nicki, you really put a scare into your mum! Glad you are feeling better now.
SuziQCat said…
Oh that's quite a scare...I'm glad he is feeling perkier now.